Sponsored

Will we ever again see a Mustang on a dealer lot FS?

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Well, it'll be interesting to see what transpires in the next couple to few years. Ford and many other companies seem to be moving toward an order only model to help control their costs. So, you may see larger showrooms with one or two of each model to look at, touch, sit in and maybe test drive, but the days of selling year or two old models at a discount are probably numbered.
Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Just putting aside all the "supply chain" stuff that will sort out (good or bad) in a year or three, anyone ever work at a dealership, selling cars? I had a son that sold Chevy then BMW in Texas, a gf who sold Honda and a buddy who works at Nissan dealer now (mechanic) and various relatives who did too. There are a bunch of folks further down the economic scale of Mustang buyers (ahem...) that won't shop cars online or still have to drive it before buying it. Some higher up the scale, BMW buyers per the son who sold them, often visit 3 to 6 times, take months to finally buy but then spend big. Yep there are the other $$$$'s that just order one too. But Dealers are in business to move cars and make money on service, service, service. Ordering may become more prevalent but I have to believe the tons of folks that go from dealer to dealer looking for a deal will still be foot traffic into a showroom. I guess we'll all see what happens.

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
the actuality is, a car dealership is a real-estate play. They sell cars just to have something to do.
A good friend of my Dad's owned several dealerships over 50 years in Central California. He always said he was in it for the service business; that's where they made their money. If they broke even on car sales, that was good. And believe me, he made plenty of money over the years.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
So, do you really think the government is going to solve this problem?
Problem? What problem? Everyone in the supply chain is making way more money in this environment from the biggest trucking companies to the drivers. Freight charges out of So Cal are up 250-300% compared to a year ago. The stakeholders are loving it. Yeah sure, the "Cali" cartel gets its cut, consumers pay more, but no one is moving this mountain anytime soon.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Freight charges out of So Cal are up 250-300% compared to a year ago. The stakeholders are loving it.
there was a video interview with a guy who went on a 3hr tour of the harbor last week and he noted that the cranes were moving jack all. Apparently the city doesn't want their precious sightlines disturbed so they won't let them stack containers more than 2x high. Granted just going to 5x high doesn't solve the problem, indeed it makes new problems, but this is the sort of absolute mind-boggling STUPIDITY that rules california. It's a port, if you live next to a port you chose poorly. That you can't see the setting sun because of containers stacked 5x high is just too F'n bad.

We have massive labor shortages everywhere and that includes the other end where containers need to get unloaded so they can be recycled and on their way back across the ocean. So while LA/LB have an intake problem and an inability to clear their holding lots, the entire supply chain is massively snarled. Even if Buttigeg could wave his "magic wand" and instantly solve the offloading problem, he can't reverse 40 years of evermore ruinous decisions by gov't and private enterprise overnight. You can have a thousand truck cabs lined up but if they don't have the chassis it does nobody any good. You can move the pile to the rail yard but if the crane operators don't want to work, or have no rail cars to put the containers on, you still can't solve the problem.

Houston, Charleston, Virginia Beech don't have these issues (yet?). So the question becomes, what is uniquely wrong about how CA is running their show?

Sponsored

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
I never need to buy something on the spot due to having several vehicles, plus my parents live somewhat nearby and have a spare vehicle as well. Ordering a vehicle is not a problem for me due to this. Especially something that will be a seasonal toy. But I cannot make a decision without weighing through all of the options. For cars, this means driving everything that I am even remotely considering.

Dealers really need to have a couple of cars on the lot for test driving or I wouldn't consider the car. I know this kills sales people but I am not about to spend that kind of money without being sure.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I never need to buy something on the spot due to having several vehicles,
isn't what these shady-as-hell used car places are for in the first place? catering to "desperate" people? If you're talking to a dealer you're not in 'immediate need' of a car, by definition.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
isn't what these shady-as-hell used car places are for in the first place? catering to "desperate" people? If you're talking to a dealer you're not in 'immediate need' of a car, by definition.
Ugh, I stopped even recognizing those places after my last vehicle purchase. I worked out a price and then told them I was paying in cash and they told me to leave. Insane that they can operate like that.

Marty1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with 94GT that approach"Their only real hope to keep a JIT model is if every other manufacturer does this also,..."

It might work, otherwise they will loose market share big time if other car makers decide to keep inventory on dealer lots. I am sure the Korean and other manufacturers from asia will have a blast!

Last edited:

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
there was a video interview with a guy who went on a 3hr tour of the harbor last week and he noted that the cranes were moving jack all. Apparently the city doesn't want their precious sightlines disturbed so they won't let them stack containers more than 2x high. Granted just going to 5x high doesn't solve the problem, indeed it makes new problems, but this is the sort of absolute mind-boggling STUPIDITY that rules california. It's a port, if you live next to a port you chose poorly. That you can't see the setting sun because of containers stacked 5x high is just too F'n bad.

We have massive labor shortages everywhere and that includes the other end where containers need to get unloaded so they can be recycled and on their way back across the ocean. So while LA/LB have an intake problem and an inability to clear their holding lots, the entire supply chain is massively snarled. Even if Buttigeg could wave his "magic wand" and instantly solve the offloading problem, he can't reverse 40 years of evermore ruinous decisions by gov't and private enterprise overnight. You can have a thousand truck cabs lined up but if they don't have the chassis it does nobody any good. You can move the pile to the rail yard but if the crane operators don't want to work, or have no rail cars to put the containers on, you still can't solve the problem.

Houston, Charleston, Virginia Beech don't have these issues (yet?). So the question becomes, what is uniquely wrong about how CA is running their show?
but just read a indepth article interviewing the Director of the Port of Savannah one of the top 3 largest ports in US. TLDR the issues are global not US. They are doing a 60 million buck upgrade to port. all places need more berths, more rail, more access for semi's to keep up, won't be solved soon.
fwiw folks.

Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Decades long culmination of what happens when everything we buy over here is made over there.

Zach@Granger

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
Ford said that the new business model does not include inventory on the dealer lot.

Basically, you need to order it. It may a long time to drive it even then (maybe 6-12 months with the chip shortage?).
My conversations with Ford make me think their goal is for 25% of new cars to be sold by custom orders. They also want to reduce the number of configurations that can be ordered for dealer stock to simplify the process. Honda has done that part for years with success.

I think 25% is a lofty goal, but that is the norm right now with microchip shortages. Roughly 75% of our Ford inventory in the system is a retail order with a customer name on it.

I have a hard time thinking 4 years from now when the Chevy dealership has a 100 trucks on the lot, the Ram dealer has 100 trucks on the lot, that Ford will be content having 50 on the lot.

Just my 2 cents.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
In Feb 20 when I ordered my Mustang, I didn't care for what was on any of the Ford lots. Colors I did not like, stripes, Recaros, lots of A10s. I tested A10 and manual GTs and EBs to get a feel for what I wanted powertrain-wise and then ordered what I wanted. It was a great process, got it at invoice and 0% interest from Ford. The biggest plus was I got EXACTLY what I wanted.

Didn't have to settle for whatever 24 year old junior assistant interim sales manager ordered back in December.

Yes, I did have to wait a month and a half. But then again I have wanted a Mustang since 1979, so I could wait.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
In Feb 20 when I ordered my Mustang, I didn't care for what was on any of the Ford lots. Colors I did not like, stripes, Recaros, lots of A10s. I tested A10 and manual GTs and EBs to get a feel for what I wanted powertrain-wise and then ordered what I wanted. It was a great process, got it at invoice and 0% interest from Ford. The biggest plus was I got EXACTLY what I wanted.

Didn't have to settle for whatever 24 year old junior assistant interim sales manager ordered back in December.

Yes, I did have to wait a month and a half. But then again I have wanted a Mustang since 1979, so I could wait.
I would just recognize we (this dedicated forum for Mustang lovers/owners) a very different type of buyer than Fred Suburban-Guy who wants a family vehicle to get the kids around and take on vacation. When I needed a family sedan in 2000 I bought a Honda Accord off a lot, it had all the options I wanted and a nice color. When I wanted a truck and decided on a Nissan Titan I found one that fit my needs at a Houston dealer (largely discounted in Texas vs Indiana). My criteria for my Mustang GT is way way higher than that Honda or the Nissan. Just sayin' folks still like to shop and deal at a lot. If you wonder about it stop by some mega dealer in some major city on a Saturday night and see how many bodies are in the finance shack. ;)
Sponsored