Sponsored

Will we ever again see a Mustang on a dealer lot FS?

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Ford said that the new business model does not include inventory on the dealer lot.

Basically, you need to order it. It may a long time to drive it even then (maybe 6-12 months with the chip shortage?).
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers will save a fortune on real estate and storage parking.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
And sales floor personnel. You don't need 30 salesmen when every new car sale is a built to order sale.

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I'm a very "touchy-feely" guy. I'm not fond of this newer online car shopping experience. Sure I enjoy looking up inventory online. However, I enjoy actual interaction with people and being able to physically see and touch what I'm about to spend my hard earned money on. I also like to test drive vehicles before purchase. However, I feel within the coming years the majority of dealerships will have gone to the online method. With that I believe they (car manufactures) will close the majority of physical dealers and only keep a few dealers open with some inventory for "old people" such as myself and others. But I bet it will be say one dealer for a populous of every 250K people, or something along those lines.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how this could work. For some who have many cars it is okay to wait. For me who has mine as a daily driver it doesn't work.

When my Challenger got totaled I needed a car in a week to get to work. I usually don't buy used only new so I can't wait for them.

This could really keep the used car market booming.

Sponsored

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't see how this could work. For some who have many cars it is okay to wait. For me who has mine as a daily driver it doesn't work.

When my Challenger got totaled I needed a car in a week to get to work. I usually don't buy used only new so I can't wait for them.

This could really keep the used car market booming.

I'd be willing to bet they will still have some inventory, however I would imagine it'd be more along the lines of base model "family" sedans/suv or whatever their most popular seller maybe that quarter.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers will save a fortune on real estate and storage parking.
the actuality is, a car dealership is a real-estate play. They sell cars just to have something to do.

What's the market value of the dealership network? A few billion? It's not going anywhere. Even if it devolves to a glorified demo-fleet and a place to unbox your car, physical presence will always be necessary.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
They will save on the loans for floor planning vehicles. It’s going to cost them less and you more.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
There is a reason Tesla has this model of sales….

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a reason Tesla has this model of sales….
they haven't made a dime of profit in 10+ years and they can't make them fast enough to stock a dealer's parking lot, and with 'direct' sales they can control the price.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
they haven't made a dime of profit in 10+ years and they can't make them fast enough to stock a dealer's parking lot, and with 'direct' sales they can control the price.
Tesla posted a 1.1 Billion dollar profit in quarter 2 of 2021. 354 million came from credit sales. So sure, take that chunk out. Still a profit 🤷‍♂️.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
When I was a kid there was no such thing as today's mega dealer lots. Of course, the lineups weren't as extensive. Dealers kept a couple of floor samples and 15 to 20 on the back lot. There was none of this needing a golf cart to view stock or waiting till a runner brought the car to the dealer front door.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Ford hasn't been able to effectively manage their inventory or supply chain even on the rare occasions when they've had good management. But they're going to start now with this crew? I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then it's just a story they're telling Wall Street to make investors believe they can continue to jack up price per transaction.
Sponsored