Sponsored

will there ever be a power flat top convertible top mustang like a camaro or corvette

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
You never know. Someday it may just retract with the push of a button.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Convertibles were always a slim portion of overall sales and with the mustang selling roughly 100K cars a year (which is a pittance by todays standards) and maybe 15K are verts. I don't see ford bothering to make them better than what they are now. I have a feeling the S650 will be the last traditional mustang. The name will live on, but it won't be what we think a mustang should be.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Not quite sure I understand the question... are there mustangs without a power top? Mine is power... press the button. Unless you are meaning the latch itself which you have to undo by hand. Been that way since at least the fox generation. Now, my older Miata was completely manual. Undo latches (2) and lift the top down or up.

I agree though, not really thinking Ford will put a power latch in. Just one more thing with a wonky track record on other brands that has the potential to be wonky on a Ford too...

OP
OP

Cement Bench

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffy
Vehicle(s)
2020 BULLITT
Meant to say whether they will drop under a enclosed cover for the top

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Meant to say whether they will drop under a enclosed cover for the top
No. There's no good way to anchor the base of the top to the cover when the top is raised. The few that have a top cover use a vertical rear window with sail planes, because they don't really have to anchor the sail planes.

Edit: I see there are several cars that have covers that don't use sail planes and vertical rear windows. But, they take up a lot more trunk space.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm struggling to understand what we're talking about. Do you mean a hard top? If not, then can you please give an example of a car that has what you want, so I can Google it and see what you mean?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Huh?

Kinda confusingly structured question at best.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
They're asking about a powered tonneau cover (based on post #5), like the Camaro convertible.
If that's the case then I hope it never happens. The Camaro convertible top is a horror. There's almost zero trunk space with the top down and the sides are still basically open and the operation isn't nearly as smooth. Plus it's extremely finicky about the crappy divider in the trunk.. The only thing I liked about it at all was not having to unlatch a lever to lower it.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If that's the case then I hope it never happens. The Camaro convertible top is a horror. There's almost zero trunk space with the top down and the sides are still basically open and the operation isn't nearly as smooth. Plus it's extremely finicky about the crappy divider in the trunk.. The only thing I liked about it at all was not having to unlatch a lever to lower it.
Yeah, not a fan of the design, and one I do not like in a convertible is different trunk space with the top up vs. down.

In fact, two of the perks with the Camaro convertible are resolved with a Smart Top module.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Yes, I have the SmartTop and love it. And I don't really mind the manual latch, fewer electrics to fail in a spot that would be a real pita to work on.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase