Sponsored

Will the V8 still be offered in a few years?

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
I still don't entirely understand why everyone thinks it needs to be either/or and completely ignore the alternative of a SMALLER V8 in lieu of axing it altogether. Mclaren's V8 is 3.8L, Mercedes and Audi both have stellar 4.0 V8's with the Benz unit being fairly new. Even Porsche has a rumored(insert grain of salt here) Flat 8 that' supposedly 4.0 or less. I highly doubt the V8 is going to phased out anytime that soon, even if it only sticks around for pure homologation.
Sponsored

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
Compared to lower numbers of cylinders in similar displacements, smaller V8s become relatively less efficient (e.g. friction) and more costly (e.g. more parts) manufacture.

But yeah... the exhaust note... it's like music to me.

IMHO as long as there are internal combustion engines, we'll have V8s.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I can foresee a small displacement V8 with hybrid assist in a few generations but the V8 is a part of the mustang equation. The next gen car will probably get the 10 speed auto so you are already getting a bump in efficiency. With that being said the engineering and packaging would be complex and the mustang will yet again jump in price making it a sub halo product(think a GT 350R vs the GT).

Normal folk like you and I would probably have to settle for a hopped up focus for an affordable performance car.

Half the people on this forum will call me crazy and try to shoot holes in that theory/argument but watch and see what happens. Hell, you can already see this equation in play when looking at top tier racing like F1 and Le Mans endurance cars.

Last edited:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
You clearly have little knowledge in how this all works. GM has a 6.2L getting 30mpg and the current 5.0 gets 26 without cylinder deactivation or even a full aluminum body. Ford can make a mustang with a 5.0 get 30+ right now if they want. You need to hit up Google.
Couple things to clear up. Although your post is a little fictious, but it's not all false.

My family hauler is a '15 Sierra with the 5.3 6sp. My best ever mpg at 62mph was 25.6mpg. That is the absolute MAX and I've never been able to match it. I did this for a run of 80miles.

A 6.2L with the 8sp going 50mph with a slight tailwind can more than likely hit 28mpg as some claim. But man, it's not real world - not even close.

I'm usually in the 24mpg area which is still crazy good for a 5000lb moving brick! This is at 67-70mph highway speed.

But no truck aside from the ecodiesel will see real world 30mpg, not for another 2 generations.

The mustang needs cyl deactivation, and direct injection along with a 3500lb curb to hit 30-35mpg. And it will have it I bet next generation or just after (2025 new model).

I also predict Ford will drop the mustang for a year or two around 2024-2025 to raise their average mpg and see what the Feds do. Then bring it back V8 limited production but mostly turbo 4 and 6.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
FACTS,in 1973 the V8 was still around in the Muscle cars,but the HP was VERY limited,how well did that sell ???Death of the Muscle car. In 1974 there was NO V8 engine offered in the MUSTANG,the hand writing is on the wall,and you aren"t going to stop the Gov:t,Cafe standards,EPA,wish and yell all you want, the V8 is not going to get smaller, it is going away and very soon.

Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Wow well thanks for the insult. Show me real world 6.2 or 5.0 getting 26-30 mpg. You can't. And don't tell me it's coming because it's not. And GM doesn't make a 5.0 it's a 5.3. Do you believe everything you read on the Internet? I can tell by your response that you're a young kid and can't read the writing on the wall. Ford offers just one V8 option in 2 vehicles. The 5.0 in the mustang and f150. That's it son. And we're not talking about trucks over 1/2 tons.
I'm not trying to insult you. And yes I know GM has the 5.3 I was referencing the ford 5.0. The current GM 5.3 has cylinder deactivation and gets 23 hwy in a full size truck. Epa goes off off ideal conditions not what you are going to see in the real world driving. My mustang hits 25-26 all day at 70mph and I've checked it many times. It has 3.73s and if you try you can get 25 easy on a long trip. With more aluminum and cylinder deactivation the coyote could easily hit 30 and beyond. This is not taking into account the rest of fords fleet and their high number of CAFE credits that can last them for years. I see tons of f150s roll off the line every day and I've seen the road map for the next 5 years, I can assure you all the 5.0 isn't going anywhere, and ford has a lot planned for it. Also ford has had several small v8s over the years and could easily redesign a turbo v8 with direct injection and cyl deactivation and probably hit 40mpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just read in Car & Driver that the F150 is rumored to not be getting the V8 option next year.

June 2016, Pg 63.

Will that have an impact on them continuing with the Mustang. I hope not.
Nope.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Our universe is infinitely expanding as far as we can observe. Resources exist within said possible infinite space, so in theory there are infinite resources.

/sarcasm, but seriousness as well :shrug:
I would say that scientists have an estimate of the date the universe began and an estimate of the rate of expansion. Ergo: finite.

Car manufacturers are not going to keep a v8 just because people like the sound. I agree the v8 is a great sounding man made mechanical wonder, but I'll take a 600hp v6 over a 430hp v8.
Example. Would you take the 2005-2006 GT over the 2017 GT? I'll take the 2017.
Would I have to pay for the car?

If car companies want me to buy their car, they better darn well have an available V8.

The EPA regs are the only reason for this. The demand for V8s in performance cars has not slowed, only the conditions that permit them to stay in the mainstream.

The sports coupe buyer is increasingly concerned with fuel economy, but it is still far down the list of reasons to buy.
Agreed - and well said. The EPA is completely out of touch with the reality of what is necessary and what the average person wants. Reliable, cheap, fun and safe are the typical high priorities - not necessarily in that order. The EPA is another in a long list of government agencies that are way out of control.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Err, you basically posted a link stating exactly what you quoted. Synthetic fuel is more efficient and high octane, meaning it would be great for small displacement turbo'd engines. :frusty:

I would say that scientists have an estimate of the date the universe began and an estimate of the rate of expansion. Ergo: finite.
False, we actually have no idea. Most estimates are based on light, making them very poor estimates. What exists beyond the observable is unknown. Ask any astronomer worth their weight if the universe is finite or infinite and they're answer will be "we do not know", but both have mind boggling implications.

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
V8's aren't going anywhere as long as enough 4 cylinder and electric cars are sold to balance out and meet CAFE standards. Can you imagine a V6 Raptor?
Aren't they putting a V6 eco boost in the raptor for MY 2017?

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Wow well thanks for the insult. Show me real world 6.2 or 5.0 getting 26-30 mpg. You can't. And don't tell me it's coming because it's not. And GM doesn't make a 5.0 it's a 5.3. Do you believe everything you read on the Internet? I can tell by your response that you're a young kid and can't read the writing on the wall. Ford offers just one V8 option in 2 vehicles. The 5.0 in the mustang and f150. That's it son. And we're not talking about trucks over 1/2 tons.
He's talking about a 5.0 mustang vs 6.2 camaro with aluminum body and cylinder deactivation. There are many technology's that we don't use to get more mpg in v8 motors, why to ramp it up slowly and bleed consumers pockets dry.
Sponsored