Sponsored

Will the V8 still be offered in a few years?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I am looking to trade up for the V8 in a few years, but with the push for smaller displacement and stricter emissions standards, i am afraid it won't be offered by the time I have enough $$$ to trade up for the Mustang GT.
Plus since Ford put the V6 in their GT and are highly marketing their ecoboost, I'm thinking that it's only a few years until they discontinue their V8s.
I even heard that the Challenger will get a turbo 4 banger engine by 2019.

This would suck for me if this happens in the next 5 years although I would be open to a TTv6.

If the v8's are going to extinction, how long do you think it has until they are wiped out?
Sponsored

BiloxiFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I read an article I thought that said Dodge is going to retire their 6.4 392 in like 2018 or 2020 because of the EPA and like what you stated the need for better emissions.... I imagine other car manufacturers would do the same? Who knows though?

I'll be honest, I got my V8 before the late 70s and 80s sad era had a time to repeat itself.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I think around 2020 we're going to start seeing some major changes, but it all depends on when the EPA decides to drop the hammer. Just a wild guess.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
this thread every week about v8 going bye bye...

answer: no. not anytime soon.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I would think we will be driving electric cars by 2026.
I don't think they will get rid of V8's but the displacement is gonna get smaller and smaller paired with turbos.

Last edited:

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
Answer to your question:

Nope.

End thread, closed, locked...move on.

Pretty sure the thousands of V8 Mustang's made before then will still be available for you to buy.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The V8 is safe for this gen and at least the first several years of the next generation. FCA has no choice to retire theirs because all they sell here is trucks, SUVs and big cars. Their small/efficient car volume isn't high enough to get them to the required average. Ford is much better off here. They won't spend millions on developments for their V8 without it lasting more than a refresh cycle.

Swamp Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Liberty
It's hard for me to imagine the automobile industry in its current form abandoning the V8. I think there is just too much money to be made from consumers who want one. I can only imagine that they will find some way to keep it, regardless of what the EPA says or does.

DeltaMobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
I talked to a guy who works at the Corporate office for Jeep. They do not plan on meeting the Fleet wide standards and will just pay the penalty. The Wrangler is their flagship vehicle and they cannot sissify the vehicle and survive. I would think Ford would not kill the GT.

Sponsored

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I talked to a guy who works at the Corporate office for Jeep. They do not plan on meeting the Fleet wide standards and will just pay the penalty. The Wrangler is their flagship vehicle and they cannot sissify the vehicle and survive. I would think Ford would not kill the GT.
"They" will not be paying the penalty, the consumer will see it in the increased cost of the vehicle. I can also see a government "Road Tax" on cars with large displacement engines, as in the EU. Several members of congress are behind a bill to add a VAT (National Sales Tax) on top of the city, county and state taxes we already pay. The V8 may not go away because of CAFE, but it could be taxed to death. Too many in government(s) want to see the car go away period, especially on the right and left coast. The next 10-20 years will be interesting, if nothing else.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I say if they really want to make a difference, get rid of the exemption for SUV's.. tax those damn soccer moms that drive 10 liter, 20 cylinder houses on wheels to shuttle their one tiny toddler.. Leave the sports cars alone.. Lol.

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
"They" will not be paying the penalty, the consumer will see it in the increased cost of the vehicle. I can also see a government "Road Tax" on cars with large displacement engines, as in the EU. Several members of congress are behind a bill to add a VAT (National Sales Tax) on top of the city, county and state taxes we already pay. The V8 may not go away because of CAFE, but it could be taxed to death. Too many in government(s) want to see the car go away period, especially on the right and left coast. The next 10-20 years will be interesting, if nothing else.
Which means hold on to your S550 and keep the mileage down. It'll be worth a fortune.

Hancock

The Camaro Protagonist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Maybe if Ford used more displacement they could get better fuel mileage?

No, V8s will be around for a while. If anything I see them getting some sort of tax.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I don't understand why folks are worried about V8s going away, when there are still V12 & V10 still being manufactured. Obviously not in the same volume as V8s but wouldn't they go first before V8s?
Sponsored