Sponsored

Will the V8 still be offered in a few years?

cjj237

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Guard
A long as the HP and Torque numbers are there, I dont care if it is electric, 4 cyl, 8 cyl, or 12 cyl.

Innovate, or get left behind.
Why didn't you get a used Tesla, then?
Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yes. Ford can go years with CAFE credits and the current 5.0 is capable of 30mpg

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I wish I could be that objective. I bought this car for more than just the horsepower and torque... the sound of the V8 is intoxicating. I love the look but *hate* the sound of the new Ford GT, SO much. For me it's about the total experience, not just numbers.
yes, YES! This is so true, the electric cars just do not have the same soul to them. If I could swing a GT350 I would, that car has incredible soul to it!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
V8's will disappear when rock'n'roll is banished and prohibition is reinstated.

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I love the sound of an American V8 just as much as anyone here, but it is obviously going away eventually, as are all ICE's. To anyone who thinks otherwise, I would remind you that even if you don't believe man-made climate change exists (an unlikely possibility, IMO) the fact still remains that fossil fuels will always be a finite resource. Our world is using them up faster and faster, and we're already resorting to some rather ridiculous means to extract it from unlikely places.

In the meantime, one intriguing development that could help extend the ICE's life (besides D.I., lighter materials, better aero, yadda yadda) is the camless engine. Jalopnik wrote an interesting piece on Koenigsegg's camless engine project a while back:

http://jalopnik.com/what-its-like-to-ride-in-a-car-with-the-camless-engine-1529865968

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Not in any of our lifetimes, if ever.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
As long as there is Oil coming out of the ground there will V8 engines. And when the Oil stops coming out of the ground there we will synthetic fuels so don't keep yourself awake at night worrying about the extinction of the mighty V8. The real question you need to ask yourself is why would you want a 430 HP V8 when you can have a 600 HP V6 twin turbo?

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Looking toward 2021...there's room for the V8. I don't think the Mustang will shrink in size seeing as that the MPG is linked to footprint/size...so the smaller it is the more fuel efficient it needs to be...so lightweighting will be "Yuge". Lots of carbon bits...4 cylinder will become a 50/50 split in sales. Check out how Ford is really pushing the carbon in their exotics (Ford GT and Focus RS RX)...soon it will all trickle down to our driveways. Next Gen EcoBoosts will make you forget the Coyote anyway...not the Voodoo...that thing is just delicious.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Looking toward 2021...there's room for the V8. I don't think the Mustang will shrink in size seeing as that the MPG is linked to footprint/size...so the smaller it is the more fuel efficient it needs to be...so lightweighting will be "Yuge". Lots of carbon bits...4 cylinder will become a 50/50 split in sales. Check out how Ford is really pushing the carbon in their exotics (Ford GT and Focus RS RX)...soon it will all trickle down to our driveways. Next Gen EcoBoosts will make you forget the Coyote anyway...not the Voodoo...that thing is just delicious.
They will figure out a way to keep the V8 in non-Ford Performance cars. There's too much investment in the Coyote coming to abandon it so soon.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
As long as there is Oil coming out of the ground there will V8 engines. And when the Oil stops coming out of the ground there we will synthetic fuels so don't keep yourself awake at night worrying about the extinction of the mighty V8. The real question you need to ask yourself is why would you want a 430 HP V8 when you can have a 600 HP V6 twin turbo?
Someone doesn't know what synthetic means; combination of two or more compounds/parts typically prepared artificially vs naturally. Synthetic fuel would still be made from some type of finite energy producing resources meaning we'll be right back in the same situation as those start to run out (not to mention it will need to be manufactured which requires energy). :crazy:

This is why I get a laugh out of those smug d-bags who get "zero emissions/no gas" vanity plates for their Tesla. Just because your car is making zero emission, the power plant generating the electricity to charge it is probably burning coal, thus generating plenty of greenhouse gases.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
That's all good to hear..........although a next-gen Ecoboost will only make me forget the Coyote if it sounds as good as a Coyote ;)

The lightweighting was mentioned in the recent GT video, which I posted here :)

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51122

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Someone doesn't know what synthetic means; combination of two or more compounds/parts typically prepared artificially vs naturally. Synthetic fuel would still be made from some type of finite energy producing resources meaning we'll be right back in the same situation as those start to run out (not to mention it will need to be manufactured which requires energy). :crazy:

This is why I get a laugh out of those smug d-bags who get "zero emissions/no gas" vanity plates for their Tesla. Just because your car is making zero emission, the power plant generating the electricity to charge it is probably burning coal, thus generating plenty of greenhouse gases.
Wow, someone needs a hug today and it isn't me. Why don't you let Scientists worry about Science and learn how to use Google.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Wow, someone needs a hug today and it isn't me. Why don't you let Scientists worry about Science and learn how to use Google.
Err, I work in the chemical information research industry; perhaps I should continue to "worry" about science and chemical synthesis. :headbonk:
Sponsored