Sponsored

Will my PSS tires last for two days at VIR?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hello. I am attending two track days at VIR in October, and am trying to figure out if I need new tires. The last thing I want is to run out of rubber halfway through. These are the OEM PSS with about 3500 miles on them and 5 track days (one in the rain). I am obviously not going to be driving 100% balls to the wall; I am still a novice. Thanks for your input!
20200811_182354.jpg
20200811_182326.jpg
20200811_182515.jpg
20200811_182446.jpg
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Plenty of tread so as long as you are happy with the grip they should be fine IMO. I ran my last set about 13 hours and were far more worn when i gave up on them but they also drove like a drift car on the last day haha

That said, VIR is a FAST track and I'd want as much grip as possible personally, but I've never ran at VIR though so it may be harder on tires than I am aware too.

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You will be fine at vir. I ran with the PSS’s in the intermediate class with trackdaze and ran the full course and grand course and it is great track. You will use more of the curbing than at summit point on multiple spots of the track which is pretty harsh but it does help settle the car in spots. Take a watch of honey badger on you tube as his line was real close to what my instructor had me run.

Study the track so you prepared as I didn’t do this as well as I should have and the first day was brutal on the grand course but I had a great instructor and loved it. You will full out brake in a multiple spots At very high rates of speed but like I said you will have a blast. What group is this with and when?

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
You will be fine at vir. I ran with the PSS’s in the intermediate class with trackdaze and ran the full course and grand course and it is great track. You will use more of the curbing than at summit point on multiple spots of the track which is pretty harsh but it does help settle the car in spots. Take a watch of honey badger on you tube as his line was real close to what my instructor had me run.

Study the track so you prepared as I didn’t do this as well as I should have and the first day was brutal on the grand course but I had a great instructor and loved it. You will full out brake in a multiple spots At very high rates of speed but like I said you will have a blast. What group is this with and when?
This event is with Hooked on Driving - Oct 16 and 17th.

I am just worried that I do not have enough rubber left on my tires to complete both days and then make it home. Problem is that the 305 PSS are on back order for some reason. I am looking for takeoff SC2s and OEM wheels but have not found any to my liking.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I ran these tires on VIR for three days and made back home. I have 12k miles on mine and 5 track days. There is still plenty of tread left. You will be fine.

Sponsored

BostonDMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2009 Porsche 911 CS, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C, 2017 Jeep SRT, 1998 Porsche Boxster (race car), 2017 Audi Allroad, 1998 Mercedes GL450, 2016 Subaru crosstrek
Plenty of rubber....... if you are a novice, enjoy the event and don't worry about the tires......
Post back some pics....

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Cool thanks for the input guys. To my eye they appear to be wearing relatively evenly right? I have seen posts about cording on the inner shoulder. I have not changed the suspension set up at all.

Also, I have found a set of OEM wheels and SC2s, but for some reason they have rubber valve stems instead of the OEM metal ones. I assume this is not optimal for track use?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Cool thanks for the input guys. To my eye they appear to be wearing relatively evenly right? I have seen posts about cording on the inner shoulder. I have not changed the suspension set up at all.

Also, I have found a set of OEM wheels and SC2s, but for some reason they have rubber valve stems instead of the OEM metal ones. I assume this is not optimal for track use?
Rubber is fine.
Sponsored