crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was scrolling through some parts on Midway Mustangs when I had a thought: can you use a GT350's tuned MAF on a GT to use a tune-only cold air intake without a tune? PMAS sells a no-tune intake that comes with a tuned MAF sensor so you can run the larger intake without having to tune the car. Could this also be applied to using the OEM Shelby one, or would that not work?
I know some people say, "don't waste your time, just tune your car", but I don't really want to do a tune at the moment. Could this be a way to bypass that and use a larger air intake?
Sponsored

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Interesting thought I’d also like to know. Are you wanting to use a gt350 intake as well? I’m a little confused

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thought I’d also like to know. Are you wanting to use a gt350 intake as well? I’m a little confused
Yes, I would use a 350 intake, or any intake that will work with a 350 MAF. I'm not sure of the specifics, that's why I thought I'd ask here. For example, if you can put a JLT on a GT350 (just speculation) without a tune, could you then use a Shelby MAF and a JLT on a regular GT without a tune?

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
I believe the gt350 JLT is tune required as well since it is still larger MAF. You’d have to use a no tune required aftermarket intake for the gt350 or the gt350 intake itself. But I’m not sure if gt350 intakes are a direct fit for our 18+ GT’s.

Yes, I would use a 350 intake, or any intake that will work with a 350 MAF. I'm not sure of the specifics, that's why I thought I'd ask here. For example, if you can put a JLT on a GT350 (just speculation) without a tune, could you then use a Shelby MAF and a JLT on a regular GT without a tune?

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the gt350 JLT is tune required as well since it is still larger MAF. You’d have to use a no tune required aftermarket intake for the gt350 or the gt350 intake itself. But I’m not sure if gt350 intakes are a direct fit for our 18+ GT’s.
Well I'm sure the 350 MAF would fit inside an intake designed for the GT. I can't imagine Ford changed the size of the nuts holding it on.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If I read this right, you want to take the MAF sensor from a GT350 and put it in the MAF housing of an aftermarket "tune required" CAI?

It might work, but it would probably run lousy. The numbers from a stock housing and a GT350 housing are different in the period vs airflow tables. If the cross sectional area of the tune required CAI MAF-housing was the same as the GT350 MAF housing, then you should be somewhat close, but even then it could be far off. For example, if the MAF housing is too close to a curve, then the air is not laminar, and the reading from the MAF will be off.

Because FoMoCo has done all the (extensive) testing/tuning of the combo, it is why I tend to favor the entire GT350 CAI system (Including throttle body) since the tables are already known, and your tuner can plug-n-play with those numbers. Everything else is simply trial and error because no tuner out there is going to be able to duplicate the intensity of FoMoCo when it comes to testing...The equipment is simply too expensive.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If I read this right, you want to take the MAF sensor from a GT350 and put it in the MAF housing of an aftermarket "tune required" CAI?

It might work, but it would probably run lousy. The numbers from a stock housing and a GT350 housing are different in the period vs airflow tables. If the cross sectional area of the tune required CAI MAF-housing was the same as the GT350 MAF housing, then you should be somewhat close, but even then it could be far off. For example, if the MAF housing is too close to a curve, then the air is not laminar, and the reading from the MAF will be off.

Because FoMoCo has done all the (extensive) testing/tuning of the combo, it is why I tend to favor the entire GT350 CAI system (Including throttle body) since the tables are already known, and your tuner can plug-n-play with those numbers. Everything else is simply trial and error because no tuner out there is going to be able to duplicate the intensity of FoMoCo when it comes to testing...The equipment is simply too expensive.
I see what you're saying. Thanks for the help and reply.
Sponsored