Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
arnold
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
  • Banned
Hey all, Im hoping some of you can help me out with something that ive been trying to decide for a few weeks now. Im deciding which aftermarket wheels to get for my 2019 GT, and im torn between the HRE FF01s (20x9.5 front 20x10.5 rear) OR the Forgestar M14 (19x10 front 19x11 rear). I would love to get the HREs, only issue is that they are 20 inches, and I've heard that a larger wheel diameter can slow you down. The wheel person I've been talking to says the HRE weigh about 25 pounds each while the Forgestars are about 24 pounds each. Does anybody know if getting a 20 inch rim will really make my car slower?
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Not likely a difference you would notice on the street (aside from tire difference) IMO. HRE lists the weights as 26.8 and 27.4 lbs. There's no way I would spend $675/ wheel on something that heavy. I wouldn't pick a Forgestar either.

OP
OP

hafgod

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
arnold
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
  • Banned
Not likely a difference you would notice on the street (aside from tire difference) IMO. HRE lists the weights as 26.8 and 27.4 lbs. There's no way I would spend $675/ wheel on something that heavy. I wouldn't pick a Forgestar either.
Ok, are there any brands/models you would recommend?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd actually argue that you would be able to notice a 1-2 lb heavier wheel that's also got that weight further out (higher rotational inertia). Hard to know for sure, but assuming that the mass is distributed similarly, just at a 10" radius vs 9.5", the 20" wheel weighing only 1 lb more will have 14% higher inertia. You will absolutely notice that.

I'd look at Apex SM-10, or the variety of good, flow-formed SVE offerings. Nothing wrong with Forgestar F14 either.

Last edited:

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
I went from the stock 18's and a 20x9.5 & 20x10.5 staggered setup and I didn't really notice any performance difference on the street. What was noticeable to me was the ease of oversteer with the staggered setup, it's more tail happy and I love that.

My recommendation is to get the wheels you absolutely love and then the weight/size really isn't an issue once they're on. On previous cars I've gone the super duper performance wheel route to save a few pounds per wheel on a street car and ended up replacing them with something else I liked a lot more. (just more $$$ in the end)

Take a look at Stance wheels while you're shopping around, the SF03 finished in brushed titanium is sick IMHO!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
staggered setup, it's more tail happy and I love that.
That doesn't make any sense. A staggered setup, all else (tires, pressures) being equal will be less oversteery/tail happy. Something else is different.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't make any sense. A staggered setup, all else (tires, pressures) being equal will be less oversteery/tail happy. Something else is different.
I did lower it on Steeda progressives when I did the wheels buts that's it, stock suspension on this one otherwise. It's tail happy now though and I remember noticing it right away after changing the wheels/tires/springs. Maybe that's the day I started driving this thing like an animal lol, who knows.

Going back to the OP, I didn't notice the car being slower after the 20" wheels/tires and my car runs the same 4.5 0-60 street time before and after the change.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I'd actually argue that you would be able to notice a 1-2 lb heavier wheel that's also got that weight further out (higher rotational inertia). Hard to know for sure, but assuming that the mass is distributed similarly, just at a 10" radius vs 9.5", the 20" wheel weighing only 1 lb more will have 14% higher inertia. You will absolutely notice that.

I'd look at Apex SM-10, or the variety of good, flow-formed SVE offerings. Nothing wrong with Forgestar F14 either.
BmacIL is a much more experienced performance driver, so I will defer to him. I was speaking from the perspective of people just driving around on the street. I agree that you can't beat SVE on price and a lot of people here are happy with their wheels. Apex is a proven brand for track work. If you were looking at the flow formed HRE then MRR has their forged series for a similar price. @CarlosMRRDesignWheels

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BmacIL is a much more experienced performance driver, so I will defer to him. I was speaking from the perspective of people just driving around on the street. I agree that you can't beat SVE on price and a lot of people here are happy with their wheels. Apex is a proven brand for track work. If you were looking at the flow formed HRE then MRR has their forged series for a similar price. @CarlosMRRDesignWheels
Yes, to be fair, if you just < 6/10ths street drive the car you may not notice it, but in any level of performance driving, you will feel the difference in braking, accelerative response, and even in the steering (the higher inertia wheel has more gyro effect).

Wheels are very subjective. I, for one, have found very few 20" wheels that I like. Most just make the brakes look tiny and look oversized on the car. But that's personal taste. 19" wheels for a ~27" diameter tire range offer the best balance of looks, handling dynamics, ride/comfort and overall performance.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The only car Ive ever been able to tell a difference with added weight was my 13 F150 when I leveled it and added some heavy 33" MT tires. Huge difference in acceleration.

Are you going to be able to notice a difference in a 19 and 20 inch wheel that weigh within a pound or two of each other? NO CHANCE! lol

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I went from the stock 18's and a 20x9.5 & 20x10.5 staggered setup and I didn't really notice any performance difference on the street. What was noticeable to me was the ease of oversteer with the staggered setup, it's more tail happy and I love that.
You won't notice any performance difference when you are nowhere near the limit (as you should be on the street). There is no performance difference cruising to work at 80 mph in my 435hp Mustang or my 258hp Focus.

As noted going stagard tends to induce more UNDERsteer as small front ires have less grip. I suspect what you are feeling is different turn in response from different tires compared to stock.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect what you are feeling is different turn in response from different tires compared to stock.
And the change in springs which was done at the same time...probably the reason for all of it.

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My 20x10/11 weigh about 24lbs.. that’s the biggest factor weight
Sponsored