Sponsored

Wide front tires, gravel, and the side of our cars

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I recently put on some wider front tires (275/40R19) and I noticed they do stick out more than the factory 235's. Granted, I was concerned about rock rash with even the factory wheels, but now with summer tires, I seem to hear a constant barrage of small rocks hitting something...not sure if it is the sides of the car, or just the bottom. This has me quite concerned what the doors and rear fenders in front of the rear wheels are going to look like in a few years.

The only feasible option for "protection" is stoneguard, but I really don't want to wrap the whole side of the car. I also don't want to remove these awesome front wheels, or install mud flaps.

Are there really any means of protection, or do you just need to live with it? Also, for anyone running wider front tires, or ones that stick out more, how is the side of your car holding up?
Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Do something soon, because your "shoulders" are being ground to dust.

I resorted to mud flaps.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
As long as your offsets are right and your tires are at least flush or sunk in from the wheel wells, odds are the rocks are hitting the fender liner (which is plastic and fine). Rocks dont have a curved trajectory around the wheel well and strike the rocker panels.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
As long as your offsets are right and your tires are at least flush or sunk in from the wheel wells, odds are the rocks are hitting the fender liner (which is plastic and fine). Rocks dont have a curved trajectory around the wheel well and strike the rocker panels.
That's not true. I have stock 255/40 Pirellis and stock wheels and my shoulders have a thousand little chips in the clear.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I had some stoneguard done on the lower half of the rear fenders in front of the rear wheels already. After washing the car this week I found a good amount of rock damage. I ordered RPI's splash guards even though there are some negative reviews...I needed something regardless and didn't want to mess around with drilling and stuff so here is hoping I get a good set...

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I must have a magical car then because 2000 miles and not a chip with the stock wheels anywhere, a black car at that. I guess if you peel out and shoot crap from the rear tires it will get chipped up on the rear quarters.

The thread question was specifically about fronts though, which as I said unless they are sticking from the wheel well nothing should be throwing stones to the sides of the car.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I must have a magical car then because 2000 miles and not a chip with the stock wheels anywhere, a black car at that. I guess if you peel out and shoot crap from the rear tires it will get chipped up on the rear quarters.

The thread question was specifically about fronts though, which as I said unless they are sticking from the wheel well nothing should be throwing stones to the sides of the car.
Where do you live? Do you have the Performance Pack?

MechEngFord

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A, Race Red, Black Accent, Red Seats

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Old thread but i'm curious what mud flaps you installed? I was looking at the ZL1's but there's not much info on what drilling is required.
I did RPIs, which were ineffective, so I made my own fronts that are wider and lower.

wet.jpg
DIB05.jpg

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Old thread but i'm curious what mud flaps you installed? I was looking at the ZL1's but there's not much info on what drilling is required.

https://zl1addons.com/products/rock-guards-for-ford-mustang-2015-2017?variant=27482434433
re ZL-1's dont require drilling for front set, I have not mounted rears, they do come with a metal clip that holds the top of the flap to the fender up front. Thats my only concern-that metal on metal interaction, I tried RPI's early release and had poor fitment but great customer service, I tried generic auto store ones, they worked OK but were generic and required a lot of effort to install,, then I tried one American Muscle sells, they are molded with a mustang logo. The fit well, but become brittle under 65 degrees and snap off easily. After 2 sets of those I went to ZL1 and they are OK so far, just look a little plain...

Sponsored

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301

I got told the problem occurs when the front wheels turn and the grit etc then comes off the outside edge of the turning tyre.
I ended up putting rpi mudflaps on my Gt and also bought the same for my Bullitt

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Plain old universal $10 pieces will do everything you need here. There's no reason to go to a price point over that. Combine with some PPF if you also need to. I have some 3m PPF and stone guards on my Mustang and now my Camaro and all I'm able to do is mitigate it down to a point that I can live with it. Note too that my PPF has rock chip damage.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
lol you're nose is growing.
Sponsored