Vehicle(s)
I don’t have finance and couldn’t stretch to a new one, simple as that
Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
My first Mustang was a used Eco 2017 vert. Got it from a Ford dealer, car was a blast!

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
"Big Bird" was a fairly simple decision. Five years old and 51,000 miles when we got her.

She came off the line November 2014 and was titled to Ford Motor Company. (I have the documentation.) Ford kept her for 15 months, then sent her to Crossroads Ford in NC with 300 miles on the odometer. Purchased by a lady who kept maintenance receipts. Got her for a great price. No regrets.

I am always on the lookout for my personal "big 3" - V8, manual gearbox, and convertible. If I have the history and maintenance records, it makes buying used much easier for me "Big Bird" checked every box, and I am enjoying her every day.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I got my 2018 GT PP1 with 1000 miles 25% below MSRP. There is nothing the previous owner could have possibly done to make that not a good deal. I always cross-shop new and used cars when making a decision. My 2012 Mustang was new.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had so many more problems with the only new car I bought (2018 gt) than all my used cars combined, and Ive owned an 89 mercury grand marquis, 99 maxima, 03 GT, 2011 GT, 2011 F150, 2009 CTS-V all purchased used with like 50-80k miles on them. My 18 gt is running perfect now though.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I bought mine new just because I wanted to, but as a result I got fewer features than if I went used. I'm still okay with it, since the base cars are pretty well equipped as it is. Before this I've only ever bought used cars. As others have said, if you have some mechanical ability or simply experience, you can tell which cars have been beat to death and which ones haven't.

Also, let's be real, even "good" owners of these cars beat on them once in a while. Do I bring my car to redline and pull a gear sometimes? Hell yeah I do. These cars are built to take the abuse. It's hard to even call that abuse really. Actual abuse is hard launches at every red light and never getting your foot out of it, to where your average MPG is like 10 or less. And even then, people put blowers on these cars and make double the factory horsepower with no issues. If that's not a sign that these cars can take it, I don't know what is.

As long as cosmetically it's to your taste, and drives fine with no obvious problems, you're gonna be just fine buying used.

OP
OP
MustangFL

MustangFL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue EcoBoost Premium PP
Thank you all for the thoughtful responses.

When I was younger I only bought used because I like performance/sporty cars, and like many could not afford new for what I wanted. As my father used to say, for cars I had a champagne pallette with a beer wallet, lol.

I used to beat on them, and from my own beating, and presumed beating from prior owners, I had nothing but headaches... expensive ones too, lol.

As I got older, more advanced in my career, more sedate, etc, I'd buy used but learned what to look for, only considered cars with one owner, no more than 3 years old, (typically a lease turn in), no more than 30k miles, and that owner had to be an older owner, (by the way, I'm 55 now). Since I no longer beat on my cars... regularly, lol... nor presumably did the prior owner, I fared much better, though I'd still have, what I considered to be too many problems.

I then made a transition to only new cars and I guess I've been lucky, because I've never had issues, and never looked back.

Then my son was born, (he's 21 now), and as a family we got into camping with friends, bought an RV trailer and a Ford Expedition to haul it, (owned the trailer for about 15 years and went through 2x Expedtions in that time).

My son lost interest in camping/glamping, so it was time to get rid of the trailer and Expedition, and in 2017 bought my Mustang.

I do kinda, sorta know what to look for, but I'm a software guy who can build a Cray supercomputer from a bag of peanuts, but can't change the oil in my cars, lol.

I'm currently torn between an S650 or just getting a '22 s550, but that's another discussion. Though that is part of what started me down this path... I'm not sure I'll want an S650, (I won't buy until they've been out awhile and proven themselves so to speak, like a '26 or '27), and if they aren't what I want, and if it's still a Mustang that I want, used may be my only option left by then. I really don't want an EV so my time is running out for a new ICE Mustang.

Again, thank you for the responses, I've enjoyed this "conversation."

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thank you all for the thoughtful responses.

When I was younger I only bought used because I like performance/sporty cars, and like many could not afford new for what I wanted. As my father used to say, for cars I had a champagne pallette with a beer wallet, lol.

I used to beat on them, and from my own beating, and presumed beating from prior owners, I had nothing but headaches... expensive ones too, lol.

As I got older, more advanced in my career, more sedate, etc, I'd buy used but learned what to look for, only considered cars with one owner, no more than 3 years old, (typically a lease turn in), no more than 30k miles, and that owner had to be an older owner, (by the way, I'm 55 now). Since I no longer beat on my cars... regularly, lol... nor presumably did the prior owner, I fared much better, though I'd still have, what I considered to be too many problems.

I then made a transition to only new cars and I guess I've been lucky, because I've never had issues, and never looked back.

Then my son was born, (he's 21 now), and as a family we got into camping with friends, bought an RV trailer and a Ford Expedition to haul it, (owned the trailer for about 15 years and went through 2x Expedtions in that time).

My son lost interest in camping/glamping, so it was time to get rid of the trailer and Expedition, and in 2017 bought my Mustang.

I do kinda, sorta know what to look for, but I'm a software guy who can build a Cray supercomputer from a bag of peanuts, but can't change the oil in my cars, lol.

I'm currently torn between an S650 or just getting a '22 s550, but that's another discussion. Though that is part of what started me down this path... I'm not sure I'll want an S650, (I won't buy until they've been out awhile and proven themselves so to speak, like a '26 or '27), and if they aren't what I want, and if it's still a Mustang that I want, used may be my only option left by then. I really don't want an EV so my time is running out for a new ICE Mustang.

Again, thank you for the responses, I've enjoyed this "conversation."
I would say go for a new 2022 or 2023 (starting to see 2023’s pop up on dealer sites now) if you’re wanting something new but are undecided on the S650. If you decide in a few years you want the S650, that option is at least available. At least around me, dealers are discounting 2022’s to make room for 2023 (& S650 I’m sure) so it might be a good time to snag a 2022 depending on what’s going on in your area. Good luck with whatever you decide! And if you get something new, be sure to post up pics 😎

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
This post is really just meant as a conversation piece, it's NOT meant to be a degrading or offensive, insulting post. I'm genuinely curious as to thoughts and experiences from those who have bought, or plan to buy, a used Mustang.

I've never understood why folks buy used Mustangs, or any type of high powered sports/performance vehicles.

I understand the whole cheaper cost, most depreciation is already gone, etc... but from speaking with owners at cars & coffee type events, (Especially younger folks. Heck, I know when I was young I beat the crap out of my 280Z, and later 350Z.), things I read here, and elsewhere, these used sports/performance cars get the ever loving snot kicked out of them. I would think that you'd spend so much on repairs, that all that upfront money that you saved is now negated, if not probably surpassed... most especially with a GT let alone if a PP 1 or 2 was on it.

I don't know... just every time I read here that someone has bought a used Mustang, my eye starts twitching, lol.

I guess I'd rather go without if I couldn't afford a new Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, (which I can), or Corvette, (which I can't... well technically I could, but I'd rather not have my wife castrate me, lol).

So, it made me curious enough to want to ask.

Thanks.
Some people can't afford to spend 40k on a car. Others don't want to spend that even if they can.
Some are just starting out in life, just bought a house and need to slowly buy all the things that go with owning a home. But still want a fun car. but need that 250-300.00 a month that buying it new for things like curtains, draps, washer/drier/lawn mower, weed whacker, tools, chairs, table, plates,etc you get the idea. So a used one with a 250-300 buck a month lower payment makes more sense.
Or a kid that likes cars, but only can swing a 16k car.
Or because they are used to buying used cars, My other vehicles were used, because they were built in the 60-70s you are not going to find a new one, and we tend to be fine with buying a performance car used as we are going to thrown parts at it anyways.
I bought new, only because I want one car I don't have to do anything to other than normal servicing, while my project cars are blown apart, If this wasn't my life, I'd have bought a used one and made it into what I wanted .
If you are blessed enough to never have to even entertain buying a fun car off a used lot, thank your lucky stars, not everyone is in those shoes, and still want a fun ride, So they buy used as they can afford it.
New cars at the 40-55k price tag is a hard pill to swallow . Even if you can afford them.
My Guttlass Cutlass is just as fun to drive as my new stang, not as fast, but fun to cruise around in, and was 5k. not everyone needs that new car smell. or see the need to have a 600-900 dollar a month car payment.
Be glad others buy them used, or your car would be worthless as soon as you drove it off the lot.

UncleSams_SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I bought my Shelby used, the main reason for this was Ford dealerships. They were an absolute nightmare to deal with. After about 20 phone calls across the country I gave up and started looking for a used GT500.

I found one at a smaller "exotic" dealership and the service was a night and day difference. I would have preferred to buy one from a private party, but could not find one for a reasonable price as everyone was trying to flip them at the time.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I found my GT at two years old and 5,800mi. 100% flawless.

It was a performance package car, which I had been looking for, but were hard to find in my price range.

I paid 29.9k with CPO coverage and a 2.9% interest rate, I think the sticker was $38-$39k. Made sense!

Deleted member 69033

I bought mine used off an old timer that detailed under the hood every Saturday morning. Hardly any miles. I have other cars that are brand new, but I wanted a specific year (16-17) so used was it.

However, I totally get what the op is saying and you definitely have to do your due diligence more buying a used gt than say an f150. I looked at 5-6 others before I bought mine that I did feel had been beat on and so I passed and waited...

Burnin' Rubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Domestic
Whenever I see what looks like a nice sports car on a used lot, I think "What must have happened for someone to give up on it?" I see evidence of so many bad drivers abusing their cars daily from scraping the underbody by taking an incline too fast, to hopping high curbs not meant to be hopped with their wheels, to hitting and scraping posts and barriers. There can be so much hidden damage.

It is easy for people who lease or trade their car every two years to say they have never had an issue. Keep a car for ten years and then report back on what issues you have had.

My thinking is that when buying new, you are getting the most use out of the car in its best condition. Buy a used car that is five years old and in a few short years you will have to deal with issues that develop when a car is a decade old regardless of how well it is kept.

I traded in one of my cars after owning it 15 years since new. I drove it in all weather conditions in the snow belt but it was kept so well. I had to replace the brake lines and fuel lines after they had rusted out but the work was done by someone I could trust. My only complaints were the dashboard got warped from the sun and I was having recurring issues with the head gasket and ignition switch. I loved that car but it was time for something new.

A few years after trading it in, I found that car's VIN on a salvage database online. It was totalled in a wreck and the mileage listed was far below the mileage I knew it had when I traded it in. The moral of the story is I don't trust the mileage on a used vehicle. It can be falsified very easily. There are way too many shady characters out there.

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I bought my 2015 Mustang GT used in 2018, from a very good friend who bought the car brand new. Car checked all the box, Premium, auto, Recaro leather, Magnaflow Comp, less than 500 miles on a Procharger P1X setup , never seen rain or snow ,3318 miles on the odometer for a lot less than I will post. Ive never had a yellow car , and yellow wasn't my first choice, however the yellow is stunning and I love it! Still have the car about 8700 miles now and in the midst of modifications, will have this car for a long time.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I got mine used with cpo courtesy of ford which gave me bumper to bumper warranty until 2024 and my car is a 17 so that was a great deal. It was also owned by ford I think they lease them to employees or something and my car only had 5000 miles and was like 6 months old when I got it. Best part was that it was 15,000 less than window sticker, of course it was a much different economy for buying used cars back then, I don’t think those deals are out there anymore with the way the used car market has been.
Sponsored