Why the heck did you buy a V6 S550?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Bought a 2017 V6 Convertible used (1.5 years old).

It is a vert - makes no sense having extra power since it won't be tracked. It is a cruiser and the v6 has more than enough power for the street. Even though it is a convertible, it is not a garage queen. Daily driver in Canadian winters!
Reliability - best reliability across the 3 engines

But the biggest reason of all:
Price - These cars depreciate like crazy. Picked this up for $23K CAD or approx $17K USD. An amazing deal!
Sponsored

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Money had nothing to do with it. I paid cash and could just as easily have paid cash for a new Ferrari. I do like value though and the 2011 V6 PP was a better value than a 2011 GT, at least a non-Brembo package GT.
Prove it. Buy me a Ferrari since it's easy for you. It's for a good cause.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Prove it. Buy me a Ferrari since it's easy for you. It's for a good cause.
I'll pass. But I do agree that a free Ferrari is a good value.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What I’m excited to see for the future of turbo cars is car company’s using electric motors to boost low end instant power until the turbskie kicks in. How neat would that be.
Might work . . . though reliably managing the amounts of electrically-driven boost and the transition from electric motor to exhaust as the driving force to the compressor wheel(s) would probably be the keys to driver satisfaction in driving that isn't foot to the floor/balls-to-the-wall.

Though as one who still prefers NA over any form of power adder, this approach comes off as a case of band-aiding the crutch - this not being the first I've heard of it.

As in, having backed yourself into a corner with a too-small motor (1700 or more lbs/liter NA barely qualifies for POS econobox duty), now you have to crutch it with forced induction - turbocharging - so that it drives like it's a bigger engine than it really is (at least some of the time). In adding an electric motor as a parallel power source for the turbo to cover for the shortcomings of exhaust drive, that's the band-aid. Complexity begets still further complexity.

Norm

Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, comparing an AWD setup and turbo engine with a tune is completely fair :cwl:. Tuned 3.5 Eco should be putting out around 360-380rwhp, FBO 3.7L will be 300.

Not arguing that Fatguy goes overboard in trying to argue a V6 will beat Coyotes regularly (though we can beat em from a dig, but they'll quickly catch up and reckless driving with traffic is always a drivers race).
The point I was trying to make was that even my Explorer is no match for the GT.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
This thread was all about intimidation. I used to be one of those guys.

The reality is the the V6 is a fast car. I saw a video of two guys comparing the V6 to the V8 and kept screwing up the third gear shift on the GT so the V8 always timed slower than the V6. They got one clean pass in there that was faster and cheered about that? But they lost three times before that! For some reason waving car mag stats doesn’t always work in the real world.

Take on a GT, they have more to lose than you... :like:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This thread was all about intimidation. I used to be one of those guys.

The reality is the the V6 is a fast car. I saw a video of two guys comparing the V6 to the V8 and kept screwing up the third gear shift on the GT so the V8 always timed slower than the V6. They got one clean pass in there that was faster and cheered about that? But they lost three times before that! For some reason waving car mag stats doesn’t always work in the real world.

Take on a GT, they have more to lose than you... :like:
Sounds like fast driver won against a slow driver. In no way will you win under equal circumstances with a non-boosted Cyclone. Great engine but it isn't beating a Coyote S550 with someone who knows how to drive.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I would love to meet this ding dong in the real world. Snap him out of his fantasy real quick. :crazy:

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
I'm more referring to someone who picked the V6 out of the 3 option line up.
The 3.7 is the best V6 ever put in a Mustang but I agree the extra torque in the Ecoboost makes me ask why as well. I had a blast with the Ecoboost Mustang I drove and very good fuel economy. The rental office said they only use regular fuel and advise use of it. I'd like to see what that thing does with premium. Low end and mid-range torque was very impressive.

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
First off, don’t street race people. It’s just irresponsible. And could get your license taken away. Second, I could see why someone would take the v6 over the EB. NA power to me feels better than turbo power. If there’s one thing the EB has is turbo lag. Doesn’t really kick in until about 3000 rpms. Don’t get me wrong, I love my EB it’s a blast. And I do love turbo G force. I think all the mustang engine platforms have their advantages. I think ford should bring the v6 back.
I found turbo lag in the Mustang EB annoying at first but after getting used to it was not an issue. It even had a digital boost gauge you can select in one of the menus and I saw and felt plenty of boost all over. It really starts pulling hard by 2k rpms.

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
I really don’t feel it come on real hard til 3k. The 2-3k build up you can feel obviously. I came from a stage 2 focus ST stock turbo and that little turbo would spool up so quickly that I think it spoiled me a bit.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Add me to the list of people who would have bought the V6 if I didn't get the GT. I don’t trust the long term reliability of these turbo engines and I’d bet that in a lot of situations the V6 actually matches or beats the fuel economy of the EB.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.