Why No Adaptive Cruise on Mach1?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's really hard for me to follow the reasoning behind getting a car that's supposedly fun to drive . . . and then wanting to step as far away from the actual driving as technologically possible.
Norm, you will never understand that sometimes people just need to get from point A to point B. Doesn't matter if it is a Mustang, a Ferrari, or a Prius. Driving isn't always fun. Sometimes it is just plain tedious. Features like ACC just make life easier. Doesn't make the Mustang a "less" than fun car or the driver "less" than a serious driver.
Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It's really hard for me to follow the reasoning behind getting a car that's supposedly fun to drive . . . and then wanting to step as far away from the actual driving as technologically possible.

At Porsche's option pricing, they're basically a custom car builder who is willing to work to a wide range of owner wishes. U.S. Domestic car mfrs used to operate somewhat closer to that business model.

Norm
I think we are getting away from the topic/question at hand.

I don't think there's a point in arguing if it's better or "proper for a 'driver's car'", we are discussing why something so pricey doesn't have it, much like Bullitts in US don't and European ones do.

Bottom line is, if people want it, like it and use it, they should be able to use it, while still enjoying the "driver's car" feel, right? I love driving stick shift and never thought I'd enjoy the rev matching, but it's so well done in the Bullitt that I leave it on.
Is it a necessary feature? No.
Can you argue it makes me "less of a driver?" I suppose you could.
That doesn't really change it's a nice feature to have.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I think we are getting away from the topic/question at hand.

I don't think there's a point in arguing if it's better or "proper for a 'driver's car'", we are discussing why something so pricey doesn't have it, much like Bullitts in US don't and European ones do.

Bottom line is, if people want it, like it and use it, they should be able to use it, while still enjoying the "driver's car" feel, right? I love driving stick shift and never thought I'd enjoy the rev matching, but it's so well done in the Bullitt that I leave it on. Is it a necessary feature? No. Can you argue it makes me "less of a driver?" I suppose you could.
That doesn't really change it's a nice feature to have.
You are right. Actually the "topic" was ACC and the Mach 1 which was answered about 100 posts ago. :facepalm:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Driving isn't always fun.
It can be - mostly it's what you make it out to be.

Basically, you can either choose to let driving be fun or choose to make it something that you suffer through and barely tolerate. Either way, you'll be right.

Norm

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I have Adaptive Cruise on my 2020 Explorer ST, it is awesome in rush hour traffic. It probably has to do with the front bumper. I know my 2016 Roush was NA with the ACC as well as it had to do with the front bumper.

Sponsored

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Was just reading that this morning actually too. But that's not really just ACC, it's a tad beyond that plus only on F150 and Mach-E, maybe on the S650 too?
They did mention that this option would make itā€™s way to other models.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
It can be - mostly it's what you make it out to be.

Basically, you can either choose to let driving be fun or choose to make it something that you suffer through and barely tolerate. Either way, you'll be right.

Norm
Norm, maybe itā€™s where you live.
I live in Toronto, a huge city with some of the worst traffic in North America.
Itā€™s a crap-show even during COVID.
There are many times I find myself on the local highways here and I could be in a brand new SF90 Spider or some other exotic and it would not be fun.
Or on the long, boring, heavily-patrolled drive to Montreal on the 401, a snooze fest of a drive if there ever was one.
ACC is a godsend in these conditions, or at least thatā€™s how Iā€™ve found it when using it in my CX5.
You are much more relaxed and rested when you arrive at your destination.
The drive is more enjoyable.
You like your car better, yourself better, your life better.
Maybe you donā€™t do a lot of drives like these, or youā€™ve never used ACC on one, because if you did I think youā€™d see why itā€™s a really nice feature to have.
And why a top of the line Mustang should at least have it as an available option.
At least.
By the way, I think the GT500 should have it, too, and if I ever choose a Porsche over one - and I might, as I am considering moving up from my Bullitt, wonderful as it is, in the next couple of years - the failure of Ford to offer this and other things you should find in such an expensive car (ā€œJust one word. Plastics.ā€), will be one of the reasons.

Last edited:

Sponsored

51NNED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The bumper doesnā€™t mean shit for the ACC. Modern technology isnā€™t that dependent on the bumper plastic. Itā€™s either marketing or $$ that have determined whether or not the car gets it.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
The bumper doesnā€™t mean shit for the ACC. Modern technology isnā€™t that dependent on the bumper plastic. Itā€™s either marketing or $$ that have determined whether or not the car gets it.
Thatā€™s been my guess since the beginning of this thread. Possibly bean counting, more likely a B.Com grad with a C in marketing whose uncle got him a job at Ford.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
The thing I haven't seen mentioned was using ACC as a way to prevent speeding tickets. In Virginia we can't have radar detectors so I can set it for 60 and not have to worry.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The thing I haven't seen mentioned was using ACC as a way to prevent speeding tickets. In Virginia we can't have radar detectors so I can set it for 60 and not have to worry.
That's a major reason I use a cruise control, adaptive or otherwise. I have no doubt it's saved me many, many speeding tickets through the years.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Are you being serious? Itā€˜s not the material of the bumper. Itā€™s the space needed behind it for the electronics. Thatā€™s why someone needs to put a M1 on a left and compare it to a GT.
Sponsored