Sponsored

Why is the Shelby Super Snake so expensive?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I've read this entire thread and I didn't see anyone say it wasn't a good car.
I've seen a lot of people that don't believe the price is worth what you get for the money.
There's a big difference.

I also don't believe that you understand what a "built motor" is.
I have to apologize there! I'm an automotive engineer and we use different terminology when referring to motors that differ from their normal uses. You're definition of built motor is correct, the SS is a stock coyote motor.

Someone might not have said it was a bad car but many were insinuating it.
Sponsored

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I have to apologize there! I'm an automotive engineer and we use different terminology when referring to motors that differ from their normal uses. You're definition of built motor is correct, the SS is a stock coyote motor.

Someone might not have said it was a bad car but many were insinuating it.
I’d be interested to see in what cases bolting on a new catback and throwing on some lowering springs gives you the ability to say you have a built motor. I’m a mechanical engineer, and also very into cars and the automotive industry, and I’ve never seen anything like that. That being said, I do agree with you that it’s a good car. I mean, it starts out as a GT which imo is already a good car, and gets lots of upgrades that people typically do to their Mustangs. It is also true that it’s a lot of money and not a very good deal. But no one buys it because they believe they are getting good value, they are paying extra for the exclusive nature and being able to own an actual Shelby.

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I’d be interested to see in what cases bolting on a new catback and throwing on some lowering springs gives you the ability to say you have a built motor. I’m a mechanical engineer, and also very into cars and the automotive industry, and I’ve never seen anything like that. That being said, I do agree with you that it’s a good car. I mean, it starts out as a GT which imo is already a good car, and gets lots of upgrades that people typically do to their Mustangs. It is also true that it’s a lot of money and not a very good deal. But no one buys it because they believe they are getting good value, they are paying extra for the exclusive nature and being able to own an actual Shelby.
I was referring to the extensive cooling systems added and the better fuel rails/injectors. We normally refer an engine we've been working on that is not stock the way it comes off of the factory line as a "build" project, and we shorten it to "built" a lot of times. Again, I said it is not the same definition society has for built motors and I apologized for that mistake I made.

Jasonb543

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Several times now I’ve seen 1000HP super snake Shelby’s at the drag strip…….RUN 12s and get their cheeks clapped by anybody and everybody.

I've never actually seen 1 win a race. Just burn tires the whole way down and go nowhere slow.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've never actually seen 1 win a race. Just burn tires the whole way down and go nowhere slow.
but mah exclusivity!!

I guess they didn't actually spend the engineering to figure out how to get the power to the ground... Or is the fault the additional 150HP and the driver/owner's poor choices of tire, prep, technique, and venue?

Unless you're drifting, power without grip is so completely pointless.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Unfortunately the SS are just aftermarket bolt ons car and classified as post production. The earlier ones were bought by SA and then sold thru dealerships. Now you buy your car and get them to SA to modify. All of the parts except for a few you can get W/O 'Shelby' written on it. The body panels(Wide body is extra), rims and some badging are unique and supposed to be protected.(Ask the KR & GTH people about protected parts). You could say all the extra markup is in the CS number. My '13 I built has all the modifications of a SS and more, and it cost me less that 1/3 the price

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
but mah exclusivity!!

I guess they didn't actually spend the engineering to figure out how to get the power to the ground... Or is the fault the additional 150HP and the driver/owner's poor choices of tire, prep, technique, and venue?

You're both dead on when it, unfortunately, comes to majority of the Super Snakes out there, and why I do believe it's a collectors car masquerading as a performance vehicle. It's has the potential, but majority of owners will never chase it.

When I first got mine, I took it to the track and could only run a best of 12.3. My last run ended when I started fishtailing halfway down the track after shifting to third. The tires (Pilot Super Sports) sucked and there was lots of play in the rear end (that's what she said). I spent the time buying and installing suspension mods, stiffer mounts and bearings, and going with wider, better tires. I finally managed consistent runs in the 10s. I'm sure I've devalued the car as it's no longer a "pure" Shelby and I recently had it retuned to better account for the long tube headers I installed.

But I like it much better now performance-wise 🤙

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Irritating as hell too! Fun for a day then gets old fast.

Have gone through one of the shelby f150s when in a buds body shop. We were 40k shy of what the owner claimed he paid them for it and we were generous with pricing. F150+paint+whipple+ seat covers+ bed cover and wheels/ tires and springs/shocks. Just seemed like such a money grab propped up by marketing.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Have gone through one of the shelby f150s when in a buds body shop. We were 40k shy of what the owner claimed he paid them for it and we were generous with pricing
Ourisman sold every one they got (like 7) for approaching 100K ADM. One guy out of Arizona bought 2 at once.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
This thread has me laughing. People trashing Shelby American. But hey don't ever say anything bad about a GT350.......

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
This thread has me laughing. People trashing Shelby American. But hey don't ever say anything bad about a GT350.......
No one ever said that. The Voodoo is a great and terrible engine all at the same time. But it was engineered as a cohesive unit from the ground up. The Super Snake was a "how much can we bolt on" car that underperforms out of the box and costs almost twice that of other Mustangs that outperform it. The fact that they ship a 6 figure car out the door with 825hp bolted to an MT82 is all you need to know about them and the level of engineering that went into them. Honestly you can say the same thing about the Roush cars too, except they're a little cheaper and can't even manage the resale values of the Super Snakes.