Sponsored

Why is the Shelby Super Snake so expensive?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Do tell about these custom one off parts and the "built engine".

These things are off the shelf coyotes and whipple blower kits. Nothing special. They make some minor tweaks to exhaust tips from some of their Borla exhausts, but the only unique Shelby stuff is the bodykit, wheels, and interior.
Where do I start...

Smaller Pulley for more hp
Shelby specific upgraded radiator
Shelby specific heat exchanger
GT500 fuel system
Shelby aluminum coolant tank
Shelby engineered cooling ducts
Stronger Half Shafts
Stronger drive shaft
FP track pack Springs
FP track pack coils
Rear stabilizer bar
Stronger anti rollbars
Shelby specific Brembo Brakes
Light weight forged aluminum wheels
Functional ram air hood
4 inches wider in the back
2.5 inches wider in the front
Shelby specific wheel bearings
Shelby specific bola cat back exhaust
Shelby camber/ caster kit

I'm not even going to start on the 50 plus shelby SS specific body parts. A LOT of people think these are off the shelf coyotes with a blower... they are not.
Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Where do I start...

GT500 fuel system
Stronger Half Shafts
Stronger drive shaft
FP track pack Springs
FP track pack coils
Rear stabilizer bar
Stronger anti rollbars
Functional ram air hood

I'm not even going to start on the 50 plus shelby SS specific body parts. A LOT of people think these are off the shelf coyotes with a blower... they are not.
engine wise, is it a stock coyote engine?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Where do I start...

GT500 fuel system
Stronger Half Shafts
Stronger drive shaft
FP track pack Springs
FP track pack coils
Rear stabilizer bar
Stronger anti rollbars
Functional ram air hood

Nothing you listed has anything to do with a built engine. You listed some items multiple times, and even forgot stuff like the extended studs.. The only parts specific to a Super Snake is the bodywork and wheels from your list.

Smaller Pulley for more hp - From Whipple
Shelby specific upgraded radiator - From Fluidyne or C&R
Shelby specific heat exchanger - Upgraded unit from Whipple
GT500 fuel system - Ford parts re-used
Stronger Half Shafts - Off the shelf and available to anyone.
Stronger drive shaft - Off the shelf and available to anyone
FP track pack Springs - Literal Ford Racing parts available to anyone
FP track pack coils - this is the same as above
Rear stabilizer bar - how is this not below
Stronger anti rollbars - Literal Ford Racing parts available to anyone
Shelby specific Brembo Brakes - Just Brembo's GT kit with the Shelby name on them
Shelby specific bola cat back exhaust - it's a minor tweak to the kit anyone can buy
Shelby camber/ caster kit - Just Maximum Motorsports units relabeled
Shelby specific wheel bearings- Most likely the GT4 Ford Racing wheel bearing kit that comes with the longer studs you forgot to mention.

4 inches wider in the back (only if you get the widebody and completely unecessary as you can already fit a 12" wheel under the stock rear fenders )
2.5 inches wider in the front (only if you get the widebody)
Functional ram air hood

The Super Snake is jus a boomer wallet trap now that the actual GT500 exists and will outperform it everywhere but a parking lot car show in a small town and for far less money.

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
The Super Snake is jus a boomer wallet trap now that the actual GT500 exists and will outperform it everywhere but a parking lot car show in a small town and for far less money.
Hey....not all of us are boomers 👶...😅

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Nothing you listed has anything to do with a built engine. You listed some items multiple times, and even forgot stuff like the extended studs.. The only parts specific to a Super Snake is the bodywork and wheels from your list.

Smaller Pulley for more hp - From Whipple
Shelby specific upgraded radiator - From Fluidyne or C&R
Shelby specific heat exchanger - Upgraded unit from Whipple
GT500 fuel system - Ford parts re-used
Stronger Half Shafts - Off the shelf and available to anyone.
Stronger drive shaft - Off the shelf and available to anyone
FP track pack Springs - Literal Ford Racing parts available to anyone
FP track pack coils - this is the same as above
Rear stabilizer bar - how is this not below
Stronger anti rollbars - Literal Ford Racing parts available to anyone
Shelby specific Brembo Brakes - Just Brembo's GT kit with the Shelby name on them
Shelby specific bola cat back exhaust - it's a minor tweak to the kit anyone can buy
Shelby camber/ caster kit - Just Maximum Motorsports units relabeled
Shelby specific wheel bearings- Most likely the GT4 Ford Racing wheel bearing kit that comes with the longer studs you forgot to mention.

4 inches wider in the back (only if you get the widebody and completely unecessary as you can already fit a 12" wheel under the stock rear fenders )
2.5 inches wider in the front (only if you get the widebody)
Functional ram air hood

A built engine refers to more than just what's inside the block...

But your still missing the point. It is not an "off the shelf" build. Sure she of the parts you can buy for other mustangs. BUT the mustang is a parts bin car anyway, all mustangs including shelbys share 60% + of the same parts with an eco-boost! This was an engineered car by Shelby which currently is the fastest mustang in any fashion that money can buy. Yes, a SS will beat a stock gt500 on track. I've seen it...

This is EASILY 30k in modifications... yes the base motor is a coyote. Which is already a fantastic platform for performance. The only thing that sets the GT500 apart from the parts you mentioned is the base motor...

Like I said earlier, the Super Snake is not an off the shelf blower coyote like other dealerships sell. This has every accompanying modification to handle the horsepower and be one of the fastest cars on the street, WITH and warranty. Not to mention a custom made body kit that is probably close to 10-12k to buy on its own...

You're argument is extremely polarized and you have a very skewed view. If you can't accept the SS is an unbelievably good car or will whip your GT350s ass on a track then that's okay, but please refrain from trying to convince others its simply an upbadged GT.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
A built engine refers to more than just what's inside the block...
Except that it doesn't. Supporting mods go on the outside of the engine. The long block from oil pan to valve covers is just a stock Coyote long block as originally delivered in the base vehicle.

But your still missing the point. It is not an "off the shelf" build. Sure she of the parts you can buy for other mustangs. BUT the mustang is a parts bin car anyway, all mustangs including shelbys share 60% + of the same parts with an eco-boost! This was an engineered car by Shelby which currently is the fastest mustang in any fashion that money can buy. Yes, a SS will beat a stock gt500 on track. I've seen it...
Poor drivers aside, the car simply isn't faster in any measured test. Hell the big bad supersnake couldn't even beat a lower powered and heavier Demon. Not even from a roll.

The Super Snake would lose even worse to the GT500 the minute the road showed a slight curve.

This is EASILY 30k in modifications... yes the base motor is a coyote. Which is already a fantastic platform for performance. The only thing that sets the GT500 apart from the parts you mentioned is the base motor...
There are a large number of differences between a Coyote with a Whipple and the Predator engine inside a new GT500, but if you can't realize that then I'm not going to waste my breath.

Like I said earlier, the Super Snake is not an off the shelf blower coyote like other dealerships sell. This has every accompanying modification to handle the horsepower and be one of the fastest cars on the street, WITH and warranty. Not to mention a custom made body kit that is probably close to 10-12k to buy on its own...
So 30K in modifications + a 10-12K widebody on a $50,000 mustang. That's a $92k car that they're selling for $130+. Still seems like a bad deal and a $80,000 2022 GT500 would walk away from it in every performance metric.

You're argument is extremely polarized and you have a very skewed view. If you can't accept the SS is an unbelievably good car or will whip your GT350s ass on a track then that's okay, but please refrain from trying to convince others its simply an upbadged GT.
Your argument is overtly optimistic and without fact. I never once brought my GT350 into the discussion at all, that's not the point here. The Shelby Super Snake is absolutely an up-badged GT though. It just has 30k in off the shelf performance parts that they charge you $130K+ for. If that's your thing then great, but there's a reason that the new super snakes didn't sell nearly as well as the older S197 models that were actually based on GT500's to begin with as opposed to being up-badged GT's.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Where do I start...
your list had ZERO engine parts. Which was the point. It's a bog-standard Coyote engine. For that kind of $$$ it should have all of the cylinder 7/8 heat problems fixed, a rotating assembly made up of forged rods with cryo and top-flight pistons from the big names to derate the ratio, cams to match with springs and buckets likewise redone, and ARP studs everywhere etc.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Just the name and lots of glue on trinkets. Numerous magazine tests over the years that debunked their performance claims. Your money…you decide…

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The Super Snake is a "real" Shelby.....

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I'd be interested to see what an actual Super Snake owner would say... Seems I'm not going to convince anyone here that its a good car. Cheers

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'd be interested to see what an actual Super Snake owner would say... Seems I'm not going to convince anyone here that its a good car. Cheers
I've read this entire thread and I didn't see anyone say it wasn't a good car.
I've seen a lot of people that don't believe the price is worth what you get for the money.
There's a big difference.

I also don't believe that you understand what a "built motor" is.

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Love the Super Snake! It's my dream car. Almost all of the parts are available to purchase separately, except some of the body parts. I figure half of the cost is for the parts, with the other half covering the labor and paying for the Shelby name. Could you build one yourself for cheaper? Yes, for the most part, but it wouldn't be a true Shelby. By allowing you to buy a lot of the Shelby-specific parts yourself, at least Shelby is giving you that option. Getting a used one is also an option. There's one by me for 88k. 2019 manual with 9,000 miles. Four owners and two accidents per the carfax, however. 😧

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
seeing that it's a stock coyote engine gives me more reassurance in supercharging mine eventually

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I'll chime in since I own a Super Snake.

I could type a novel about my experience since I have had many contemplations of the value of the car over my period of ownership and use, but I'll keep it short.

I think the Super Snake is a great car and worth it if you value the performance package AND the Shelby exclusivity. The latter is the most important thing to weigh if you ever find yourself in the position to buy one. I have friends that have similar setups/performance stats in their Non-Shelby/Non-Specialty Mustang GTs and they acquired them for far far less. I could have built an equally capable car for much less, but I really dig the Shelby bodywork, style, and it's the "exclusive" piece of the overall performance package that helped sell me on it.

My Super Snake had flaws and deficiencies that I identified and fixed with aftermarket parts. I like to drive mine hard and track it when I have time. I'm also 35 years old. Im not the intended target market, in my opinion. There's only one other Super Snake that I know about within 100 miles of me, and it's owned by a 70 year old New Balance Q-Tip who only drives his to car shows. He's the ideal consumer for the car since I do believe the car is mostly intended to be a collectors vehicle with all the visual and performance claims/goodies as a bragging point.

I bought mine as the second owner with 2400 miles on it in early 2021, and I'm now at 11,000 miles. I'd certainly have more, but I live in Minnesota and have to travel alot.
Sponsored