Sponsored

Why is the Shelby Super Snake so expensive?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Ok I’ll bite what other mustang is factory close to 900hp honestly asking if there is one I’ve never seen it
True, but being that Ford built a complete car which was then converted to a Super Snake, is it really fair to say it wasn’t modded? It may be blessed as a Shelby, but isn’t it realistically a modded Mustang? Not trying to be stupid, just interesting how people perceive it differently.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
I buy cars to use them and enjoy them. If you're looking for something that's going to give you an ROI, I could point you in the direction of dozens of other ventures with better returns, less risk and overhead, etc.
I'm glad you enjoy them. I enjoy some of mine too. You aren't getting the point. The thread was Why is the Shelby SuperSnake so expensive and I tried to show that. I collect and buy/sell these cars as a hobby and it has been very profitable as side hustle. Please show me where I can make more money and have fun doing it.

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor
True, but being that Ford built a complete car which was then converted to a Super Snake, is it really fair to say it wasn’t modded? It may be blessed as a Shelby, but isn’t realistically a modded Mustang? Not trying to be stupid, just interesting how people perceive it differently.
Yeah I guess I see what you’re sayin the way I’ve always looked at it is say a modded gt close to 900hp will be worth no where near what a super snake is worth

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Gotta pay to play the “real” Shelby game. That’s a game I’ll never play at that price.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Doesn't this car come standard with Z-Max treatment?

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Ok I’ll bite what other mustang is factory close to 900hp honestly asking if there is one I’ve never seen it
The only other is the code red GT500, but since that is not street legal it does not count. So, the highest horsepower car you can buy with a Ford warranty is the SS currently.

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor
The only other is the code red GT500, but since that is not street legal it does not count. So, the highest horsepower car you can buy with a Ford warranty is the SS currently.
I never heard of a code red gt500 is that kinda like those copo’s only a handful made and not street legal, damn just looked it up quick 1300hp kinda seems like that was a swing at those last call challengers forget what they were calling the insane one that is around that 1300 hp mark

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I never heard of a code red gt500 is that kinda like those copo’s only a handful made and not street legal, damn just looked it up quick 1300hp kinda seems like that was a swing at those last call challengers forget what they were calling the insane one that is around that 1300 hp mark
I think that it was definitely shelby and ford just flexing its muscles. Definitely a screw you to dodge and chevy. But also a testament to how good mustangs can be!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There seems to be a big bias with collectors against the FRAP Shelby’s also. It’s all silly to me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There seems to be a big bias with collectors against the FRAP Shelby’s also.
Cause they are not "real" Shelby's

Ducks and runs again

Sponsored

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Not sure what you mean by factory? SA isn't a factory car. You can take your car to many and get more HP (over 1000) PBD, Roush, Fat house, Saleen, Hennessey to name a few

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
I think the GT500KR is about 900Hp.

Most collectors want the limited edition cars in the top configuration with no miles and preferably on MSO. I sold a 2020 GT350R HE in 2021 with 8 miles and untitled for 199K and it was exported out of the country. I sold another GT500 HE CFTP in January of this year with 16 miles to a collector that had already purchased 10 GT500 HE cars for warehousing. The collector market is a different club with lots of money and they know how to use it to their advantage. I am not talking about enthusiasts, many of these people have a jet also. If you can find an original 2015 GT350R you will have another big money collectible. These cars are often sold through a network of concierge buyer/seller agents and never see auctions or the internet. Once they are driven the desire for them at the top level goes away very fast. Thats where we end up with the cars we collect (Meaning myself and others that can't play in the same sandbox.) I was lucky in that I had access to buy 2-3 new Shelby's per year for a while at MSRP and I took advantage of it.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The Shelby Super Snake is just an aftermarket modified car. Same as a Roush or Hennessy but with a lot of cache. The biggest difference is apparently, according to the Shelby press release, the original Ford drivetrain warranty is intact. Given Ford went fully forged and made substantial upgrades to the GT500 engine to make it warrantable and 760 hp; I’m sure a good chunk of that high cost Shelby charges goes to pay Ford to offset additional warranty claims. Still not worth the $140k+ asking price.

Also, most American car manufacturers now rate their engines per the SAE standard power procedure. Aftermarket companies aren’t held to the same standard, so they are often overrated at the crank, or based on a rwhp value with a very high assumed drivetrain loss. Eg, a 670 rwhp car “rated” at 825 hp at the crank. Whereas in actuality a 670 rwhp factory car will likely be rated around 770 crank hp per the SAE standard.

For $140k I’d much rather have a GT500 and a GR Supra, than one super snake. Or a Porsche 911 Carrera GTS for a little more (starts at $150k) which runs 10.9 @ 128 mph, probably not too far behind the super snake on drag radials. The super snake isn’t like a Lambo or Ferrari where people generally can have all 3. It’s not at that level.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the best answer to the original question is because there are people who will pay it.
I have to wonder though, after us, will many care?

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The S197 Super Snakes started as GT500s, which were then modified by Shelby American. That's what a Super Snake ought to be. As a modified GT, the S550 version is not worthy of the name.
Sponsored