Sponsored

Why is the Bullitt chase scene considered so great?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I know its off topic but it is Mustang related :) I just curious. I hear all the time this chase is so great. I have watched it several times and I honestly don't get it. It's just a couple of cars driving fast and taking turns, no music and nothing really much happens till the very end (spoiler lol) one slides into a gas station and other off the road. I know Mustang purest just read heresy and blasphemy but just asking honest opinion on this. Heck I don't even like the blues brothers but the chase in it was much better. And for modern movies any number of chase scenes are amazing. Good day to die hard chase through moscow, Terminator 3 they wrecked a town with a crane that was different lol, The new netflix 6 underground that opening chase was total carnage and brutal. Even the less than spectacular Baby driver had great driver oriented chase scene. Or any James Bond movie ... Smokey and the bandit... and so on. I mean there was plenty of 70s car chases that were top notch. And even the newer dukes of hazzards, movie quality aside, had top notch chase and driving scenes.

The french connection, original gone in 60 seconds (which featured a mustang as well)...... and so on.

So just want opinions on why this chase is always considered the "greatest" one ever?
Sponsored

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It was great in its time. Sorta like why we aren't impressed with black and white televisions now.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
It was great in its time. Sorta like why we aren't impressed with black and white televisions now.
Yeah but people still call it the greatest today. And there were plenty of better in late 60s early 70s. And i watch black and white TV all the time antenna TV has great shows.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It was and still is the greatest because of these facts:

It literally set the precedence for all future automotive chase scenes.

The entire chase is said to have been done in real time, not edited or sped up via film technique. Those cars were actually driving at speeds of and up to 110mph - not scripted.

The one part where McQueen and Bullitt slide and he throws the car into a mad reverse burnout was not planned, it actually happened as is, was not a reshoot and was kept in the film. IIRC, at another point during the shoot, McQueen either struck another vehicle, took out a camera (or both) - and the reason for Bud Ekins filling in as a stunt double doing some of the Bullitt driving.

The engine sounds were all supposedly real and not dubbed into the film. There’s been controversy about that since the release of the film.

McQueen and Hickman did almost all of the driving during the chase scene, almost unheard of at that time.

There is no added music during the chase because of the real sounds of the actual chase, which was deemed by the Producers to be powerful enough for the audience.

Doc69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger, 2020 HP Ecoboost in November
It was a sign of the times..
Regards

Sponsored

Birddog 29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
IIRC it was the first time a camera was placed in the car so you get a first person perspective

mustang charlie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Gt 6spd convertable preimium , 1996 S10 , 2001 S10 , 2018 Honda civic touring
I know its off topic but it is Mustang related :) I just curious. I hear all the time this chase is so great. I have watched it several times and I honestly don't get it. It's just a couple of cars driving fast and taking turns, no music and nothing really much happens till the very end (spoiler lol) one slides into a gas station and other off the road. I know Mustang purest just read heresy and blasphemy but just asking honest opinion on this. Heck I don't even like the blues brothers but the chase in it was much better. And for modern movies any number of chase scenes are amazing. Good day to die hard chase through moscow, Terminator 3 they wrecked a town with a crane that was different lol, The new netflix 6 underground that opening chase was total carnage and brutal. Even the less than spectacular Baby driver had great driver oriented chase scene. Or any James Bond movie ... Smokey and the bandit... and so on. I mean there was plenty of 70s car chases that were top notch. And even the newer dukes of hazzards, movie quality aside, had top notch chase and driving scenes.

The french connection, original gone in 60 seconds (which featured a mustang as well)...... and so on.

So just want opinions on why this chase is always considered the "greatest" one ever?
I love to this day the sound of the old school 390 cid ,and the 440 cid , the same reason I like the sound of my muffler delete 2015 GT rag top 6 speed manual trans . love old school engines , simple no computers just an oil , temp , battery light

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Bullitt and The Vanishing Point were both trend setting chase scenes of yesteryear.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I dont see it as a the greatest but I do see it as what set the standard. As technology improves so will these action scenes so its really not fair to compare it to what we see today. I think you have to take it for what it was at the time. I think it is great but I grew up driving in the 70’s and it was the standard for car chases. Yeh we have Smokey and the Bandit and Gumball....I would not consider Cannonball a very good one...the French connection, sugarland express ...but all setup by Bullitt.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I see a pattern here that I think bypasses my question LOL. Everyone saying it was the first , it was a trend setter, it was something no one seen. I get all that. But my point is why do people STILL call it the greatest chase EVER. maybe back in 1968 it was a wonder to behold but it didn't take long for it to be out done and by today's cinema standard it is actually very boring. I guess I take issue with it being called the greatest ever. I mean if people referred to it as the chase scene that set the standard and inspired others that i could get behind but to call it the greatest ever? I guess Im not watching the same chase as everyone else.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
It was and still is the greatest because of these facts:

It literally set the precedence for all future automotive chase scenes.

The entire chase is said to have been done in real time, not edited or sped up via film technique. Those cars were actually driving at speeds of and up to 110mph - not scripted.

The one part where McQueen and Bullitt slide and he throws the car into a mad reverse burnout was not planned, it actually happened as is, was not a reshoot and was kept in the film. IIRC, at another point during the shoot, McQueen either struck another vehicle, took out a camera (or both) - and the reason for Bud Ekins filling in as a stunt double doing some of the Bullitt driving.

The engine sounds were all supposedly real and not dubbed into the film. There’s been controversy about that since the release of the film.

McQueen and Hickman did almost all of the driving during the chase scene, almost unheard of at that time.

There is no added music during the chase because of the real sounds of the actual chase, which was deemed by the Producers to be powerful enough for the audience.
I've watched this several times now and I can say sounds were added. One spot specific actually. When they are coming down the many hills and the cars are leaving the ground and then impacting the road there is very noticable crunches like the cars right there. But at the last second the camera pans back and is like 2 blocks down the road , it was zoomed in over a long distance so the sounds being right there have to be added in. And if those are added in then you know others are. as for in real time I guess but it was heavily edited. The lead car lost three hubcaps off the passenger side 3 LOL and then near end of chase drives by camera and is only missing 1 in total off whole car. The car that crashes and takes out the camera is the lead car not the mustang. And to further disagree with the sound, many of those rev sounds don't match up with the way the cars being driven in certain cuts. Plus of the 10 min chase 3 and a half are them driving around like they are looking for lunch and then another 2 plus is just straight line highway driving trying to catch up to each other.

OH well to each their own I guess :) I just don't see what everyone else does here.

And A side note since we talking about the car. So does anyone think that the pawn stars guy Rick, will end up with that car when it goes on sale this month? Hes like the worlds biggest fan of the movie and actor and im sure hes got the cash.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Today's Computer Animation and GOOD Video equipment makes the Bullitt Chase look really old and of course OUTDATED!!:frown: Did ya notice the "One Wheel Peel too??:shock:

I ordered the DVD and the whole Movie was really BAD by today's standards but still iconic as a HOLLYWEIRD FIRST!! :like:

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Today's Computer Animation and GOOD Video equipment makes the Bullitt Chase look really old and of course OUTDATED!!:frown: Did ya notice the "One Wheel Peel too??:shock:

I ordered the DVD and the whole Movie was really BAD by today's standards but still iconic as a HOLLYWEIRD FIRST!! :like:
Dont get me wrong IM not arguing with anyone here. I get back in the day it was something. But to still call it the greatest like so many do... ehhhh.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It’s like comparing Windows 95 to Window 10. Cutting tech then was the best thing available..
It set a standard for future platforms to build and improve on.

By today’s standards, it may be “lame” but I truthfully rather watch that chase scene for hours on end versus the fake and overblown scenes of today with fake noises, unrealistic driving stunts and CGI galore.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s cool to watch and it’s amazing what you can produce these days, but strictly from an enthusiasts standpoint, it gets under my skin to hear a car shift upshift 50x in one scene. I didn’t know we had cars with that many gears now a days (I’m lookin at you, Fast & Furious franchise). Lol.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
It’s like comparing Windows 95 to Window 10. Cutting tech then was the best thing available..
It set a standard for future platforms to build and improve on.

By today’s standards, it may be “lame” but I truthfully rather watch that chase scene for hours on end versus the fake and overblown scenes of today with fake noises, unrealistic driving stunts and CGI galore.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s cool to watch and it’s amazing what you can produce these days, but strictly from an enthusiasts standpoint, it gets under my skin to hear a car shift upshift 50x in one scene. I didn’t know we had cars with that many gears now a days (I’m lookin at you, Fast & Furious franchise). Lol.
Oh god no. The fast and furious are the worse garbage I dont even consider those car movies. Everything in them is stupid and geared to 6 year olds. They are more like a vegas magic show then car movies. Surprisingly the one of them I though was fairly realistic and showed some actual driving skills is the one people hate the most. Tokyo drift. Hell what do I know I thought Empire strikes back was the worst star wars :cwl:
Sponsored