Why is MMR frowned upon?

Deuce33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Planning to own an S550
I recently made a post on FB asking which engine should I go for if making big power was my main goal. I mentioned MMR (Modular Motorsport Racing) and the comments section basically roasted me. What's the deal with MMR? Do their engines blow up more regularly than others or something? I haven't personally heard anything negative but apparently they aren't great.
Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
No personal experience but from what I've seen others sharing on here:

Suspect oil pump gear quality/ finish
Quality issues with trigger wheel
Timing chain tensioner quality issues
Timing chain guide wear in track use

Have not heard of issues with their actual engine builds.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’m using their rear seal plate kit (with new Viton seal, trigger wheel and replacement FoMoCo crank sensor), IMRC lockout kit, head cooling mod and engine block braces.

The only thing I had to modify was one of the IMRC lockout pieces, which was very simple to do.

I would buy one of their engines, but make damn sure I properly clearanced anything that needed it, if something appeared to be off.

UncleSams_SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
There are many people out there that have had really bad experiences with MMR engines. Hence the hate for that company when you start talking to the high HP mod motor crowd.

There are quite a few that also have issues with the red coating on their parts coming off and causing other problems.

OP
OP

Deuce33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Planning to own an S550
There are many people out there that have had really bad experiences with MMR engines. Hence the hate for that company when you start talking to the high HP mod motor crowd.

There are quite a few that also have issues with the red coating on their parts coming off and causing other problems.
Hmm, are there any other high HP Coyote options? (We're talking 3000+hp) My Plan B was a 481x but using a Chevy based engine in a Mustang feels wrong.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I’ve found Facebook to be the land of trolls and misinformation.

You could be talking about a unicorn with Jesus mod that walks on water and someone will inevitably come out from under a rock and crap on your thread.

OP, I think your doing the right thing consulting the forum

OP
OP

Deuce33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Planning to own an S550
Wait are you comparing a 481 to coyote?

That’s kinda apples to spaceships comparison.
The MMR Gen X and the 481x offer pretty similar power outputs from what I've seen.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
3000hp? Lol
Really deep pockets lol. I’m sure it’s achievable and good luck to op building that bad boy. Hopefully he shows the car one day.

Sponsored

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Whichever builder you use, make sure you know how long the build will really take.

I don't have any experience with MMR but listening to people about their bad experiences about something they bought may or may not be applicable to your situation. I would take the experience of someone who has bought their assembled engine and used it compared to someone who just bought a single part from them then proceeded to self install, maybe they didn't install things correctly.

With that said, I will highly recommend RPG Engines to be your engine builder due to quality of work.

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Anything can happen in the racing game. Even the best built and most expensive race engines blow up. It’s just a risk we all take when modding our cars. Just try and put together the best package that you can and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Back in the old days, If it didn't blow up, you weren't pushing it hard enough. So, you rebuilt it and tweak it just a little below where it blew up the last time.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Whichever builder you use, make sure you know how long the build will really take.

I don't have any experience with MMR but listening to people about their bad experiences about something they bought may or may not be applicable to your situation. I would take the experience of someone who has bought their assembled engine and used it compared to someone who just bought a single part from them then proceeded to self install, maybe they didn't install things correctly.
Or build it himself. The guys that build these engines aren’t necessarily the only ones, who can do it. Willpower and a research will go a long way when a person is dead set on accomplishing something. Mind over matter.

I’ve been here at a place like this before several times, but with motorcycle engines and most recently, my MT82-D4 transmission. I elect to do things myself because it seems like more and more, many companies are interested in helping themselves to a lot of money, before helping the customer. That in and of itself, is more than enough motivation for me to give anything a try.
Sponsored

Last edited: