Why I will never buy a car made by GM

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
The other week I was looking at a Roush Mustang GT on base parked right next to my buddies DIB GT350 in Kaiserslautern. We were doing a mini meet for lunch and I was noticing the new cars out in the lot, Some new Lexus, BMWs, Audis and Mercs and a couple of 2014 or 15 Challengers.

The lack of new GM Cars was shocking.
Sure there were a few older ones, Even a 5th gen Camaro but even it was a few years old.

That gave me the idea to give a call to MAS (Military Auto Sales) in Wiesbaden to talk to the guy that sold me my 'Stang.

It Turns out that MAS can only sell American cars on base but has sister companies like Pentagon car sales, usually just outside the base that will sell any brand that wants to sell through them.

So why no GM, I'd like to at least see a new Camaro or a Corvette and possibly test drive one to see all about the hype.

It turns out every year MAS asks every auto manufacturer if they'd like to sell US spec cars for service members stationed over seas, then they go make sure that there are dealers in the area that will honor warranty work.

Every year GM always tells them to get lost.

In Europe MAS sold over 17000 vehicles to the Military Community in Europe, so the number is not huge but not insignificant either. it was enough that all of the German brands got aboard as did Lexus.

Even worse is that if a Soldier does make the mistake of buying a GM car in the US and brings it over later GM VOIDS the warranty.

Having spent most of my life serving overseas, either in the ARMY or as a contractor, I find that attitude to the military revolting. Needles to say, no matter how good of a car they ever build, I will never buy anything made by GM. As much as I would have felt terrible for the factory workers, I now wish they were never bailed out, IMHO they didn't deserve it:rant: /rant
Sponsored

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
I've seen similar posts about Honda's and Toyota's. I still have a hard time believing that cars would be denied warranty work. Especially considering I was stationed in K-town for 3 years, and never heard of this issue before.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
The other week I was looking at a Roush Mustang GT on base parked right next to my buddies DIB GT350 in Kaiserslautern. We were doing a mini meet for lunch and I was noticing the new cars out in the lot, Some new Lexus, BMWs, Audis and Mercs and a couple of 2014 or 15 Challengers.

Sure there were a few older ones, Even a 5th gen Camaro but even it was a few years old.

That gave me the idea to give a call to MAS (Military Auto Sales) in Wiesbaden to talk to the guy that sold me my 'Stang.

It Turns out that MAS can only sell American cars on base but has sister companies like Pentagon car sales, usually just outside the base that will sell any brand that wants to sell through them.

So why no GM, I'd like to at least see a new Camaro or a Corvette and possibly test drive one to see all about the hype.

It turns out every year MAS asks every auto manufacturer if they'd like to sell US spec cars for service members stationed over seas, then they go make sure that there are dealers in the area that will honor warranty work.

In Europe MAS sold over 17000 vehicles to the Military Community in Europe, so the number is not huge but not insignificant either. it was enough that all of the German brands got aboard as did Lexus.

Even worse is that if a Soldier does make the mistake of buying a GM car in the US and brings it over later GM VOIDS the warranty.

Having spent most of my life serving overseas, either in the ARMY or as a contractor, I find that attitude to the military revolting. Needles to say, no matter how good of a car they ever build, I will never buy anything made by GM. As much as I would have felt terrible for the factory workers, I now wish they were never bailed out, IMHO they didn't deserve it:rant: /rant
Well im glad that you see why people look at gm as a Gigantic Mistake!!Thats why i say only fools buy from Garbage Motors.they got billions,sent alot of it to china,and now they are gonna turn around an sell a china made car over here in the USA!!that just shows how PATHETIC they are,and the people that buy from them.They have no loyalty to this great country.I hope Generic Motors crashes and burns.:rant::ford:

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I ordered my GTI through MAS in Stuttgart. Now I just need to get there and get my car...

GM thinks their $500 discount is "good enough" for supporting the military.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So much for being "Generous Motors".

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
obamamotors, no surprise there.

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I've seen similar posts about Honda's and Toyota's. I still have a hard time believing that cars would be denied warranty work. Especially considering I was stationed in K-town for 3 years, and never heard of this issue before.
I brought a new 2000 Nissan Frontier with me from the US back in 2001, had the window stop working, Nissan fixed it but not under warranty, It was a like $15 in parts and $60 in labor so I was upset but could live with it. Glad nothing else ever went wrong with it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Harley-Davidson honored my warranty when I lived in Germany on my US-spec bike without even blinking an eye. Took a couple of phone calls by the dealer to HD Germany before they started work just to verify, but Harley was like... all good. Only issue would have bean if what was getting replaced wasn't available in Europe... huge delay to get the part if not just replacement with Euro part.

And then some regional person contacted me asking for a story on my tour of Europe. Which I never wrote or submitted because, well, I wasn't getting paid for it and it was to be used for promotional purposes and, well... gotta pay me for that. Haha. :)

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Harley-Davidson honored my warranty when I lived in Germany on my US-spec bike without even blinking an eye. Took a couple of phone calls by the dealer to HD Germany before they started work just to verify, but Harley was like... all good. Only issue would have bean if what was getting replaced wasn't available in Europe... huge delay to get the part if not just replacement with Euro part.

And then some regional person contacted me asking for a story on my tour of Europe. Which I never wrote or submitted because, well, I wasn't getting paid for it and it was to be used for promotional purposes and, well... gotta pay me for that. Haha. :)
Harley sells through MAS on base. MAS will give you a list of dealers who they have agreements with. Several of my buddies own Harleys and let's just say they are all on first name basis with the local service writer so all are really happy Harley supports the troops.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I wasn't there in a military capacity and they still do warranty work. Bike was bought in the US, shipped to Europe.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I wasn't there in a military capacity and they still do warranty work. Bike was bought in the US, shipped to Europe.
Sounds like it was a hell of a trip though, I'm Glad Harley helped you out, speaks well of them as a company.:thumbsup:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
15K miles throughout Europe... most of that was highways getting somewhere, unfortunately, but I got to scoot around some beautiful places. And never once felt unsafe (except maybe Paris and Rome). When I got back to the US, I became scared to ride my bike - the way people treat motorcycles here is totally different. In two years after that trip I only put another 5K on the bike and eventually sold it.

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
15K miles throughout Europe... most of that was highways getting somewhere, unfortunately, but I got to scoot around some beautiful places. And never once felt unsafe (except maybe Paris and Rome). When I got back to the US, I became scared to ride my bike - the way people treat motorcycles here is totally different. In two years after that trip I only put another 5K on the bike and eventually sold it.
After so many years in Germany, I'm scared to drive a car in the US! My last trip to DC last year was shocking, I swear people are deliberately trying to wreck. I have to go back this year and I'm not even trying, Taxis and buses for me.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

On an unrelated note I was stationed in Kaiserslautern in the 80s with the 88th Maintenance Battalion before the wall came down. I've always wanted to return and visit the area to see what has changed and what hasn't.
Carry on. :cheers:

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
After so many years in Germany, I'm scared to drive a car in the US! My last trip to DC last year was shocking, I swear people are deliberately trying to wreck. I have to go back this year and I'm not even trying, Taxis and buses for me.
Yeah, the biggest problem with us Americans is lane discipline. With out wide open highways in the fly over states, speeds of 100mph or more would be safe if the drivers were not idiots.

No one uses blinkers, and everyone camps in the left lane for no reason.

I do 8 road trips a year between 1,000 and 2,220 highway miles. It is unbelievable how bad people drive. People from Illinois being the absolute worst.
Sponsored