Why I chose the Mach 1... and why...

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP 'M3162'
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and I joined because of the decision I made to purchase the Mach 1. I have never owned an S550 car. In fact, I have never owned any Mustang newer than 1970 and I have had 3 of them. I sold my last one in the Fall of 2020 after I made the decision to move on to the S550 platform. I enjoyed owning the Classics but I yearned for a driver's car and as unique as the Classics are they are not, by broad definition, drivers cars in today's world.

I have to admit, I had the Shelby itch for a lot of years that I had owned my cars but could never justify the money for the classic version. At the same time, I wasn't enthralled with the S197 version (not passing judgment other than my own preference). But when the S550 Mustang hit the market I felt a stronger connection to the platform because, in my opinion, they had come the closest to the classic Fastback style of my 1967.

So I went exploring for a GT350... enter the ADM, and in Canada, I could not see the value in a $100K+ car that was in a sense a 'post 1968' version of the original (1965 - 1967) cars when Shelby would modify factory Mustangs at their facility in California. Production line cars with the Shelby name meant to engender the uniqueness of the originals but they were production line cars nonetheless. Then the stories, founded or unfounded, of the mechanical issues started to put me off of the idea.

Speaking of Shelby American, we have an authorized Shelby American shop here in Calgary, so my next idea was to 'build my own Shelby' like they did in the 60's. But after speaking with the shop and exploring the costs, I again came to the realization that I would be, in many ways, getting a modded PP car with the added bonus of having a CSM number and being in the Registry. At least that was something that Shelby's from Ford wouldn't have... but the costs were prohibitive and most of them (unless you went for the Super Snake version) were cosmetic. Super Snakes with the boost were WAY WAY over $ 100K by the time you factor in the donor car. And although the car would be unique, it would be somewhat of attention magnet that would make it, as a daily driver, harder to cope with... (driving for the love of driving without the stress of owning!)

Enter the Mach 1. Yes, in some sense it is a short run car with cosmetic changes and is, as it has been described in other threads cosmetically and mechanically, a 'parts bin car'. But in my opinion (which like A-Holes where everyone has their own) I got excited about the car because it took most of the best pieces of the Shelby development over the last 5 years and upgraded or replaced aspects of the GT PP lineup that people seemed to be less fond of like the transmission (big for me) and other mechanical, suspension and aero components. Styling checked the boxes and the motor, although not as unique as the Voodoo, it's proven record for reliability and 'modability' (if that is even a word!) were a plus for me. All for less than the other options in the marketplace.

Sorry the long post! But that's why I love the Mach 1 and am excited for mine to arrive! Could Ford have done more with it? Sure. But for me it seems to be just right...
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed!

I’ve said this in other threads, and people really don’t like to hear it... but NO Mustang is “special”... they’re all production line variants of the same $20k 4 banger rental car, no matter what badge is 3M taped onto the fender. If you’re looking to buy a Mustang, you shouldn’t be looking for “special”, you should just be looking for a fun to drive, well performing car, and that’s exactly what you get from it

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Same here. Putting order on Monday for new Mach 1 with handling package and leather, that's it. I've been running M3 for the last decade (JRZ, PFC brakes, solid sub-frame bushings, Cup2s etc, etc). It was time for a change. In my situation my neighbor has a 2017 GT350 (not an R) and I've driven it many times on the track. It's an outstanding car, the grip is absolutely phenomenal, the brakes are okay (nothing compared to PCF Z-54, which is my gold standard. Ok, carbon ceramics are better but way too $$$). My neighbor just got his build number on a new Corvette, so I had to option to buy his with track wheels and all his track mods.

Nonetheless, decided to go new and there's been some more development of the S550 over the past 4 years, so I decided to go Mach 1 too. Even though the Mustang is getting more expensive over time, it's nothing compared to BMW prices and the aftermarket for S550 is huge!

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Never owned a Mustang...drove a 96 Camaro SS (the ones SLP actually modded) in high school so I wanted to re-live some of that and wife didn't like the newer Camaros.

I negotiated on several PP1 S550s and Bullitts in the past year, wanted 6-speed, leather, magneride and active exhaust...really just a daily driver. Even went in and got an offer in hand, credit check etc last May - then I hear rumors of putting the Tremec in the Mach 1 and I was sold.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
OP, you hit the nail on the head. The Mach 1 has all the boxes checked. Maybe Ford's best drivetrain couples with heritage, cool striping and very good handling. Price is very fair.

Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
OP enjoy your new car. I came close to ordering a Mach 1, it is a really nice car.

51NNED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I just wanted a Manual V8 Coupe to replace an E92 M3

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
One of the reasons I bought mine is I am simply worried as to what the S650 will bring, what with all the new gov't mandates on the automotive industry. That along with this headlong rush to outdo each other with added safety nanny's that they perceive are wanted by all. Not!

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
One of the reasons I bought mine is I am simply worried as to what the S650 will bring, what with all the new gov't mandates on the automotive industry. That along with this headlong rush to outdo each other with added safety nanny's that they perceive are wanted by all. Not!
Agree, we are fast approaching the end of the V8, manual, rear wheel drive era and an AWD, electric or hybrid with autonomous everything has an excitement factor equivalent to watching paint dry.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
It won't be that bad, it just won't be the same. Surely you'd like to try this one:

I wanted to wait for AWD hybrid V8 S650 in 2023-24, I don't have doubts it'll be spectacular, but when I saw Mach 1, I just couldn't wait any longer, immediately fell in love. The AWD drivetrain will surely be great, I'm more worried about exteriour and mostly interiour changes (the Mach E with big middle tablet looks just horrendous). And batteries adding weight, complexity and longetivity etc. Plus who knows what the price would be and what the state of the world will be, better treat myself now with something that is flawless to my eyes (was admiring S550 from the start).

Last edited:

Sponsored

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and I joined because of the decision I made to purchase the Mach 1. I have never owned an S550 car. In fact, I have never owned any Mustang newer than 1970 and I have had 3 of them. I sold my last one in the Fall of 2020 after I made the decision to move on to the S550 platform. I enjoyed owning the Classics but I yearned for a driver's car and as unique as the Classics are they are not, by broad definition, drivers cars in today's world.

I have to admit, I had the Shelby itch for a lot of years that I had owned my cars but could never justify the money for the classic version. At the same time, I wasn't enthralled with the S197 version (not passing judgment other than my own preference). But when the S550 Mustang hit the market I felt a stronger connection to the platform because, in my opinion, they had come the closest to the classic Fastback style of my 1967.

So I went exploring for a GT350... enter the ADM, and in Canada, I could not see the value in a $100K+ car that was in a sense a 'post 1968' version of the original (1965 - 1967) cars when Shelby would modify factory Mustangs at their facility in California. Production line cars with the Shelby name meant to engender the uniqueness of the originals but they were production line cars nonetheless. Then the stories, founded or unfounded, of the mechanical issues started to put me off of the idea.

Speaking of Shelby American, we have an authorized Shelby American shop here in Calgary, so my next idea was to 'build my own Shelby' like they did in the 60's. But after speaking with the shop and exploring the costs, I again came to the realization that I would be, in many ways, getting a modded PP car with the added bonus of having a CSM number and being in the Registry. At least that was something that Shelby's from Ford wouldn't have... but the costs were prohibitive and most of them (unless you went for the Super Snake version) were cosmetic. Super Snakes with the boost were WAY WAY over $ 100K by the time you factor in the donor car. And although the car would be unique, it would be somewhat of attention magnet that would make it, as a daily driver, harder to cope with... (driving for the love of driving without the stress of owning!)

Enter the Mach 1. Yes, in some sense it is a short run car with cosmetic changes and is, as it has been described in other threads cosmetically and mechanically, a 'parts bin car'. But in my opinion (which like A-Holes where everyone has their own) I got excited about the car because it took most of the best pieces of the Shelby development over the last 5 years and upgraded or replaced aspects of the GT PP lineup that people seemed to be less fond of like the transmission (big for me) and other mechanical, suspension and aero components. Styling checked the boxes and the motor, although not as unique as the Voodoo, it's proven record for reliability and 'modability' (if that is even a word!) were a plus for me. All for less than the other options in the marketplace.

Sorry the long post! But that's why I love the Mach 1 and am excited for mine to arrive! Could Ford have done more with it? Sure. But for me it seems to be just right...
Congrats on your decision, I have a feeling that you will not be disappointed.