Sponsored

Why I cancelled

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

I thought I should maybe explain myself, not because I feel the need too but because I've made what I would consider to be proper good friends via this forum, Enoch, Mander, those crazy Scottish guys who don't post so much any more, SteveC, Mac, Centurion and many others, it is hands down one of the best sub forum local communities out there. It is also what makes Mustang ownership so much fun.

First of all, I sold my Mustang pretty much because I wanted an automatic, the A6 was not to my taste and for me the only other let down in the Mustang was its wet handling could be better, should be better. Of course the Ford service, warranty I found generally poor, in fact it was a disgrace. However if it had not being for Ford Burns Garages in Congleton I'd have been a total loss with the car as the Bristol Street garage in Stoke are absolutely terrible when it comes to customer service, an utter disgrace to be frank for the brand. Hopefully with time it will improve and that does seem the case.

Anyway that is that, so back to the 18, something I was and am still excited about, I shall be sorting test drives next month so I can give feedback, it is no surprise to many that I was excited about:
- A10
- Mag ride
- Gen3 coyote

I think the latter two will be totally brilliant, DSSV magneride is an incredible system that is on other cars including Ferrari's, no one should under-estimate how great it is, those who have had the pleasure of driving or passenger in a 350 will know how great it is and it is ideal for UK roads.

Gen3 coyote, that needs no introduction, we can all see Ford has achieved a slam dunk with the gen3, it has a host of ugprades over the gen2 unlike when the gen2 replaced gen1 it was really a lesser overhaul. Gen3 will be an epic car.

The A10, looks to be a big improvement over A6 for sure, quicker in drive, more responsive on paddles, I am sure I would find it acceptable for sure but it does also seem to have some issues, but it is pointless debating until I've driven one as everyone has different expectations but as it is the most modern automatic on the market it really should be competing and beating the rivals from Europe to be frank.

Anyway the above are all minor points and just to clear one thing up, front-end I find the 18 looks just as good as the 15. From some angles the 15 has it, from other angles the 18 has it, but for me there is no clear victor. As a total package I personally feel the 2018 is the better looking and more polished product. But looks are personal preference, we have all done different things with our cars for instance, Toni covered his in stickers, Mac well Mac just went crazy, Enoch has turned his into an army car and Manders told us all race red was the fastest but then is always the slowest on any meet or track event. :D

So why the cold feet, am I happy to spend 50k, yes, am I happy if I feel the car is over priced? No! Am I happy to potentially within 12 month have lost over £10,000, absolutely NOT.

My car is 49k, the options make 2018 for me, if I was not picking the options then selling my old car was pointless, the A10 and mag ride are absolute must and then items like Recaro are just the finishing touch, lets admit nearly all of us wanted Recaro when we got our 2015's.

So 49k, I'd then want wheels, lowering springs, strips, rear wing, front splitter and no doubt some other bits to get the car where it needs to be sitting stance/height wise. Then I'd be tuning because I like a bit more go within reason, so staying NA again. No SC for me on these cars, I've being given the keys to Mac's car a couple of times and even he will tell you they are a bloody handful in the dry on a weekend trip and that power on a UK city road, back road can be hard to deploy, of course on a motorway it works great but if you just want to go fast in straight lines, we all got the wrong car to be frank, just buy a Hellcat, it looks better than any other muscle car, sounds better and will do straight lines all day long as long as you change the tyres every other day. So for me it would always remain NA and even though the 2018 with A10 is going to be one quick car from 0-130 which lets face it is all you ever need, the SC guys will argue they'd leave a 2018 on a motorway above 100, but so what, any other situation they'd be struggling to keep up with the A10.

Anyway so I'd probably be 55k into the car within first three months of ownership, but it would be mine, it would look totally awesome and like a jaffa cake. :D

But then I thought, people are struggling to get 30k, let alone 35k for 2015's with some light miles on them, which is not too bad if you got one at 35k, but those who paid the new prices its a bit much on depreciation.

Then I thought, a year later my 2018 would probably struggle to fetch 40k, lets remember the 2018 is not supplied in limited numbers, if Ford sell 3000 they will build 3000, if they sell 30 well then they'd probably hold their money or in fact not because then Ford will reduce price.

As such I just value the car at under 40k with 12 months, under 35k within 24 months and I just thought to myself, do I want to loose upto 20k in such a short period on what is essentially just a Ford, albeit its a Mustang and it is totally fucking awesome, but still.

I then also thought after watching every review and letting the fanboy side die down and that a 2018 is just an improved 2015, its not a night and day improvement over a modified 2015, probably quite similar at which point I just think apart from getting mag ride, A10 I'd pretty much be driving the same car that I once owned and when I factor the loss I made on that, then the possible loss on a 2018, I think its time to take a break from the Pony stable for a short while.

As such I was trying to be sensible, looking at Porsches, cars that do not depreciate much, but I could not find anything particular exciting within budget, the only one I truly want is a GT3, or a GT4 if they did it in PDK but they do not. As such GT3, I found one, 125k, yes I could get it and yes it would be on finance with a totally massive monthly payment and even more massive balloon at the end, I just can't force myself to do that, the only positive on a Porsche is they do hold their money and in some cases appreciate.

Then I looked at a car, well re-visited a car I'd not really considered due to a poor previous experience years ago, but after arguing with a guy on here, cannot remember his name but if he is reading, then it is all your fault. :p

I drove a V6S F-type for a day, what a chassis, so much play and it was RWD and it did have the issue I witnessed in the V8S, really struggles to put power down which not wanting to get into any arguments but that should not be the case and its either due to the short wheel base, playfulness of the chassis or the fact they have pzero and we all love the pzero here don't we. ;)

Anyway I gave the V6S back thinking, wow what a fantastic handling car, best sounding V6 too and looks pretty sweet. I then did maybe a fatal error, I got the SVR edition a few days later, OMG, all the weaknesses of the V6S were addressed, it was still playful but beautifully planted as well, never had any traction issue and the performance was amazing and acceleration totally savage, it was insane.

So what a hypocrite I am not wanting a 2018 due to possible huge depreciation and now I am looking at a car that has lost £40,000 in its first 12 months of life, oh my days. But I simply cannot get over how good it is and it looked totally epic and the sound was to die for.

So that is where I am, 2018 is cancelled, I am seriously considering the SVR, made them an offer. I am also still looking in the Porsche stable too but I just feel the SVR really has a lot of Mustang DNA in it with the looks, sound and muscle/sports appearance, plus it does have a Ford engine. :D
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Good read Gibbo. I think you have made a wise decision - as you say, the Mustang would just be a repeat of your experience in a lot of ways. With the exception of the drastic colour change :lol:

As others have said, you presence here will be greatly missed - I know your not leaving us, but still all the Mustang banter was always an interesting read for me.

I think you'll enjoy the Jag FWIW, yea it's "just a Jag" but it's a fucking beast & I'd happily have one if the Mustang wasn't around. To many, the Mustang is "just a Ford" so don't let those kind of comments put you off.

P.s. you gotta get it in the dark metallic grey :D or the dark metallic red ;)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good read Gibbo. I think you have made a wise decision - as you say, the Mustang would just be a repeat of your experience in a lot of ways. With the exception of the drastic colour change :lol:

As others have said, you presence here will be greatly missed - I know your not leaving us, but still all the Mustang banter was always an interesting read for me.

I think you'll enjoy the Jag FWIW, yea it's "just a Jag" but it's a fucking beast & I'd happily have one if the Mustang wasn't around. To many, the Mustang is "just a Ford" so don't let those kind of comments put you off.

P.s. you gotta get it in the dark metallic grey :D or the dark metallic red ;)
Has to be blue or ginger for me buddy.

I want this one, infact this exact one, attached.
S2.jpg
S1.jpg
S3.jpg

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
told you the v8 awd was savage and had no problems getting power down :) did you think it felt like the old vspec too as to me it did

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Sponsored

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Um, yep. All of that. The Jag is lovely.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
even though you don't have a stang i hope you'll stick around and let us know anything you do to your new car too i'm always interested whatever the car but also you've still got a lot of stang knowledge some of us would like to pick on :)

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Awesome, very jealous. I have to wait a couple of years before I can choose my next car..... F Type is definitely a contender, helps my wife loves them (helps me justify the spend!)!!

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
told you the v8 awd was savage and had no problems getting power down :) did you think it felt like the old vspec too as to me it did
Yes, really impressive, huge grip but also playful.

I am sure many can relate to this in an automatic, DSG, PDK, DCT when you pull up at a light and stop. If you decide to stomp it for maximum acceleration you normally get what can only be described as lag in some its minimal and in others it feels like a whole second, DSG does this as does PDK and the A6 I drove was the same. In short almost like the box is working upto the launch.

In DSG, PDK, DCT the only way around it is to use LC, at which point you sit there revving like a cock, so LC you generally do not use.

But in this SVR, I did a traffic light full throttle set off expecting the slight delay but my head nearly left my shoulder it was simply gone, it also felt way way quicker than the 3.5s Jag quote, like under 3s, it was just absolutely savage and that gear box cracks the gears out.

I never tried Vmax secret 200mph mode the car has, but I did activate it too see if the rumour was true and it is. If I get one, gonna have to give that a go. :D

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
even though you don't have a stang i hope you'll stick around and let us know anything you do to your new car too i'm always interested whatever the car but also you've still got a lot of stang knowledge some of us would like to pick on :)
Of course man, only really two forums I frequent these days, which is this one and my own forums at Overclockers UK. :)

There is not really any Jaguar forums, because that is really its lets down, no real communities and no real modding scene, plus I don't want to risk loosing warranty on something so expensive. You can tune them towards 700HP but don't see much point it does 0-100mph in 7s stock even in the wet, so it really is more than enough as it makes the power accessible.

I shall be sticking around, I do have one mod planned however, the red calipers are freaking ugly, don't work with blue, they need to be yellow same as my M3. :)

Shall be sticking around here, probably post my Jag here if I get one if people do not mind, it has got a Ford engine in it after all. ;)

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Jag looks fantastic (although I don't do blue cars) .. it does look like a class above a Mustang if that makes any sense.

It looks like a 100K car to me, when the Mustang looks about 40K.

Makes no sense, but there you go :D

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i don't mind i'd like to see it i do miss the one i had but as i said before i needed something more practical for a day to day
still the top end ftype is something special especially compared to the lower down models.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Cheerio mate, I feel your pain on the trade-in blues, happened to me when I traded up to my 16 GT from a 3.7 DIB mostly built. Now again if I want a 2019? Nope I'll build Coyote Red and retire happy at 63. Snow on the pony here on the coastal bend of Texas this morning.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just sold the Golf R, gotta be quickest used car sale in history, got asking too. :)
Sponsored