Sponsored

why don't RHD cars get a strut tower brace ? pedestrian protection ?

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
in NZ we don't get the STB. didn't on my 2016 GT either. I modified that car quite a bit and added it as well, but just wondering if anybody knows why we don't get it ?
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Last edited:
OP
OP

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
Like many things we miss out on, I understand the lack of brace in Europe is due to pedestrian safety - I guess if you’re unfortunate enough to be hit by a braced car, there would be very little give on the bonnet/hood. we had the same thing with the ‘16 GT, no hood scoops were permitted due to risk of causing more damage:headbang:even though standard on the US version. A tad annoying
 I suspect NZ has the same issue

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
The German review cars had the strutbrace, so it is really weird that it only concerns RHD cars in UK/AU/NZ, when Europe has pedestrian safety regulations, it has active hood after all. And if you can fit it post-buy then there's nothing mechanical preventing it from being there. Ask the dealer to ask Ford for reasoning on this.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My theory ...

The RHD cars require 8mm spaces to fit the strut brace due to the cowl / bulkhead brace interfering with it at the right hand side strut top.

Could that 8mm be enough to compromise the pedestrian safety ? i.e. It's OK on a LHD with no spacers, but its not OK on a RHD where it sits 8mm higher / 8mm closer to the underside of the hood ?

WD :like:

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467
My theory ...

The RHD cars require 8mm spaces to fit the strut brace due to the cowl / bulkhead brace interfering with it at the right hand side strut top.

Could that 8mm be enough to compromise the pedestrian safety ? i.e. It's OK on a LHD with no spacers, but its not OK on a RHD where it sits 8mm higher / 8mm closer to the underside of the hood ?

Ford produce a strut for RHD cars you only need spacers if you try and fit a LHD strut to a RHD car.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford produce a strut for RHD cars you only need spacers if you try and fit a LHD strut to a RHD car.
The strut for the RHD cars is actually a kit made up from a LHD strut and 8mm dog bone spacers ?

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467
The strut for the RHD cars is actually a kit made up from a LHD strut and 8mm dog bone spacers ?

No, bought one for my Bullitt straight from Ford UK, had the Bullitt logo and fitted perfectly. (The Bullitt has the K brace fitted already)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
No, bought one for my Bullitt straight from Ford UK, had the Bullitt logo and fitted perfectly. (The Bullitt has the K brace fitted already)
That's interesting - and also not reflected in Fords instructions (unless there are more then one RHD version) ?

Abbreviated with just the interesting bits :

1624890508448.png

1624890543463.png

1624890604361.png

1624890632706.png

I would be interested to see how Ford make it differently, perhaps they just to a professional version of the 'grind' mod ... lol

Anyhow, no skin off my nose as I have the aluminium version, I was just trying to offer some insight based on the info I had collected when looking to get my brace :like: (My aluminium brace also came with the spacers - but I didn't use them :like:)

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
The German review cars had the strutbrace, so it is really weird that it only concerns RHD cars in UK/AU/NZ, when Europe has pedestrian safety regulations, it has active hood after all. And if you can fit it post-buy then there's nothing mechanical preventing it from being there. Ask the dealer to ask Ford for reasoning on this.
My theory ...

whats the deal with pedestrian safety? maybe i'm misunderstanding this but if i get hit by a mustang leaving london cars & coffee, the strut brace would be the least of my concerns :cwl:

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467
That's interesting - and also not reflected in Fords instructions (unless there are more then one RHD version) ?

Abbreviated with just the interesting bits :

1624890508448.png

1624890543463.png

1624890604361.png

1624890632706.png

I would be interested to see how Ford make it differently, perhaps they just to a professional version of the 'grind' mod ... lol

Anyhow, no skin off my nose as I have the aluminium version, I was just trying to offer some insight based on the info I had collected when looking to get my brace :like: (My aluminium brace also came with the spacers - but I didn't use them :like:)

Didn't look anything like that! Think that might be for use without the K brace!

DSC_1752.JPG

DSC_1753.JPG

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t read too much into the colour or plaque :like:

I appreciate you might not have the car anymore, but do you have a picture of the area near the brake distribution block ? The back of the brace in that area is the pinch point where it crosses the bulkhead brace and I would be interested to see what’s different :like:

OK, I appreciate this is the 350 brace but it highlights the pinch point (after the non spacer mod and before re-coating) :

F413-D22-E-A881-4-FF5-BEA1-F4-A2-BEBDD964.jpg

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467
I wouldn’t read too much into the colour or plaque :like:

I appreciate you might not have the car anymore, but do you have a picture of the area near the brake distribution block ? The back of the brace in that area is the pinch point where it crosses the bulkhead brace and I would be interested to see what’s different :like:

OK, I appreciate this is the 350 brace but it highlights the pinch point (after the non spacer mod and before re-coating) :

F413-D22-E-A881-4-FF5-BEA1-F4-A2-BEBDD964.jpg

No pictures, but even the Ford Performance part is specific for RHD!

Screenshot_20210628-231908_Bing.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that’s what’s really confusing, the RHD instructions include reference to the dog bone spacers (and the bulkhead brace).

Honestly, you are the only RHD guy I know of who didn’t have to either use the spacers or do the small underside grinding mod :like:

Sponsored