Sponsored

Why don't comp cams lope on our GT's?

ajxtreeme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm about to be full bolt ons ( gt350 IM/TB/ Headers/Catback/Injectors) and might go comp cams for the hell of it. Been doing some research and it seems like camming our GT's dont do much as far as loping goes. Can someone explain why? Can it but tuned to lope with comp cams where the tune is reliable (not talkign about the lund ghost cam. I know its not for driving) Sorry for the noob question but I would really appreciate it if someone gave their input. Thanks
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
4V engines don't need big lumpy nasty cams to reach top performance. Lopey idle also means nothing as far as performance. Put in Cams because you want to squeeze every last horsepower, not just to sound cool...

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm about to be full bolt ons ( gt350 IM/TB/ Headers/Catback/Injectors) and might go comp cams for the hell of it. Been doing some research and it seems like camming our GT's dont do much as far as loping goes. Can someone explain why? Can it but tuned to lope with comp cams where the tune is reliable (not talkign about the lund ghost cam. I know its not for driving) Sorry for the noob question but I would really appreciate it if someone gave their input. Thanks
Most coyote cams are around 132* Lobe separation angle so not much overlap unless you tune the VCT to make it so. LS cams are usually 110-112 LSA and thus have a lot more overlap and it can't be changed via VCT because they don't have it.

Sponsored

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
While a fan of cam lope.. cam lope and power are not exclusive to one another. The tighter the LSA (lobe separation angle), the larger the "lope" noise generally speaking. But also with that tight LSA, you also receive crap drive ability and mileage.

Given that Coyote's can adjust cam timing individually and thus change LSA electronically, you won't find many of them that lope unless they're running lockouts or have it tuned to a tight LSA (in the 114* area). It's a beauty and a curse of these motors.

Coyotes have a metallic sound inherent of progress and technology while making stupid smooth easy fast power. But the cost of that progress is a lack of traditional cam lope and guttural compression stroke noises the old motors used to make. These cars aren't your grand fathers 302 67 fastback.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
My buddy has a stage III cams in his LS3. God that car is miserable to drive under 15mph/2500rpm. Sounds good though. Kind of why I ended up buying a Mustang (V8 without being a Chevrolet lol).

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I have "big cams" that require locked VCT, and I barely lope. Don't get hung up on it, and enjoy the extra top end power.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The only loping engine I want to hear is a big block something or other bolted into a classic 50's hot rod or 60's muscle car, loping so much that it wobbles the entire car. Other than that, no need unless it adds real power but doesn't cost half a supercharger in labor to put in.

In other news, the relatively MILD midrange-oriented Fueling 574 Reaper cam I put in my Harley made low speed traffic a little tedious (at least until I built the engine around it, anyway). I wish I could go for a ride in a camm'd S550, or at least any 5.0. I love NA...

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Lop with a big ass supercharger is where it's at.

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
That's not cam lope. That's roots blower through carbs and guys that think that sounds cool, but in fact its improperly tuned barrel valves.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That's not cam lope. That's roots blower through carbs and guys that think that sounds cool, but in fact its improperly tuned barrel valves.
Yep.