Sponsored

Why doesn't the Mustang have a fully opened front grill?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Cervini's C series grilles open up the whole grille, and gives direct airflow to the airbox. Hard to tell in this pic, but there are full mesh grills in them.

95500478_10156797341746580_7497656728532549632_n.jpg

This pic shows it better.

41688008_10155438601026580_7610146749558030336_n.jpg
Sponsored

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4
I'm SURE that Cervini's did adequate wind tunnel testing on your aftermarket grill to make sure what they were selling you is an improvement over what is supplied by the OEM......

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
All I can say is I do not even know how folks who have removed their entire front grille can drive around without major damages being caused to the A/C condenser core.

My 2018, I drive 500+ miles a week, excluding weekends. Aside from the normal bug accumulations, looking in through the factory upper grille, there’s a rather large impact to my A/C condenser. This impact dented not only the core row fins, but bent a core row back and upward as well. Not sure if that impact was caused by road debris, stone or large bug... I don’t even want to imagine what my A/C condenser core would look like WITHOUT a grille in front of it....
My 2000 F150 that I bought new had the same impact mark you are describing. I started looking at others and some had the same mark. I assumed it was an assembly line error. My 2018 F150 does not have any indents or bent core row.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'm SURE that Cervini's did adequate wind tunnel testing on your aftermarket grill to make sure what they were selling you is an improvement over what is supplied by the OEM......
I could give a shit less about wind tunnel testing on a grille. I do know the engine is getting it's air easier, and my Procharger intercooler will get the airflow it needs to stay cool. One grille gloss black, one Matte black from the factory looked horrendous, and that horrible blocked out look of the grilles and the unnecessary grill shutters are gone.

Last edited:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
All I can say is I do not even know how folks who have removed their entire front grille can drive around without major damages being caused to the A/C condenser core.

My 2018, I drive 500+ miles a week, excluding weekends. Aside from the normal bug accumulations, looking in through the factory upper grille, there’s a rather large impact to my A/C condenser. This impact dented not only the core row fins, but bent a core row back and upward as well. Not sure if that impact was caused by road debris, stone or large bug... I don’t even want to imagine what my A/C condenser core would look like WITHOUT a grille in front of it....
my A/C condenser has a few dings in it but I managed to hang a fabric mesh in front of it to try to protect it a little. Kinda works

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I only opened the holes up where my intake charge is coming from, and I have that baffled, so little of the air goes elsewhere. Seems like with one of those Velossa scoops, it would not be a big deal to open holes just in front of the scoop. I DO like having the grill there for blocking debis from the condensor. A couple of years ago I was driving in the country when a small bird flew up from a drainage ditch and pegged my grille. I was doing 60. When I got home I found little bits all over the grille and some of it went thru into the intake area. There was not much left but I found what looked like its heart... Freaky. You never know what kind of crap you are going to hit.

Last edited:

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Engineered, what exactly, does that word mean?

I have a slot on the bottom that feeds air to the heat exchangers, a big hole that feeds the radiator with a slot for air to feed the engine, and holes in the hood to suck off heat.

Which is not engineered to your specifications and please explain, in detail, which and why. Show your work.

Only half assed serious.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
It’s very interesting to note that Ford Performance hasn’t entered into the fray.
Nope, let the aftermarket swoop in and come up with a solution for a non-existent problem.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Ford shouldn't have shipped the car with mismatching grilles if they didn't want us swapping them out!

I understand the engineering and design limitations Ford is restricted to but simply making the two grilles have the same finish would have kept me from swapping to a Cervini's upper and lower grille. They look much more aggressive to me, too.

I've had them installed for over a year now and I've not noticed any ill effects. I've confirmed on multiple occasions that the car and its parts are 150 mph proof. That's good enough for me.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
More grille opening=More drag.

Reference nascar racing cars. their cooling openings are tiny and strategically place to offer maximum efficiency.

Another example are bonneville race cars. Hardly any opening there.

In my case, I have a fully open grille because I track my car in extremely hot climates (Thunderhill Raceway) and I'm ok trading off top end for cooling.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Ford shouldn't have shipped the car with mismatching grilles if they didn't want us swapping them out!

I understand the engineering and design limitations Ford is restricted to but simply making the two grilles have the same finish would have kept me from swapping to a Cervini's upper and lower grille. They look much more aggressive to me, too.

I've had them installed for over a year now and I've not noticed any ill effects. I've confirmed on multiple occasions that the car and its parts are 150 mph proof. That's good enough for me.
Always amused at people's responses when they realize they've installed an aftermarket downgrade....

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Always amused at people's responses when they realize they've installed an aftermarket downgrade....
I did it for aesthetics, not performance. It looks 100x better to me so I don't see it as a downgrade.

Always amused at elitists trying to push their opinions as fact.
Sponsored