Sponsored

Why does Track mode feel so sluggish compared to Sport +?

Robinc464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1(ordered) 2012 Mini 2017 Lexus RX350
Coming from a Boss 302 that I drove 100% of the time with the track key, I figured the track mode on the Mach would be similar as far as throttle input is concerned. Now I do mainly drive the Mach in sport plus, but when I switch over to track mode, car feels sluggish compared to sport +, and when I say sluggish I am only referring to throttle input, just curios as to why?
Sponsored

pappagray

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 PP1
I just experience that yesterday too!.

My guess, which is only slightly educated, is that the throttle lag is put in place to better regulate on track power delivery.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Because in sport mode, the throttle mapping is different. Sport mode there is more sensitivity on initial application of throttle. Track mode throttle is more linear.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
I may be doing it wrong, but in Sport+ and hitting bumpy road, it tends to blip the throttle a lot...i switch over into track when going through the twistys so I can maintain throttle speed.

Sponsored

velocirooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mach 1 Prem, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
I'm glad i saw this thread. i thought it was my imagination today when i noticed less throttle response.

mduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT M6 2018 Orange Fury, Mach 1 on order
Hehe
Perfect timing, I noticed this yesterday evening and thought something was wrong....

Thx šŸ’ŖšŸ˜ŽšŸ‘šŸŽ

pappagray

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 PP1
Anything below 4000 rpm it feels like a boat anchor on the street, on the track it'll work perfectly

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Coming from a Boss 302 that I drove 100% of the time with the track key, I figured the track mode on the Mach would be similar as far as throttle input is concerned. Now I do mainly drive the Mach in sport plus, but when I switch over to track mode, car feels sluggish compared to sport +, and when I say sluggish I am only referring to throttle input, just curios as to why?
My friend had a Boss 302 that I drove. I'll say that the 2013 Boss 302 is more responsive and visceral than the S550 could be because of all the refinement. People going back is not uncommon.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
My friend had a Boss 302 that I drove. I'll say that the 2013 Boss 302 is more responsive and visceral than the S550 could be because of all the refinement.
think about what a 480hp 7500rpm redline would've felt like in a 69-72 car with stockish suspension. been nearly uncontrollable

Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
my GT350 is the same way. First time I ran track mode at my local autocross event, I was like WTH?

Thumpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Doing a track day next weekend at NOLA - Iā€™ll probably run some sessions in track mode and some in sport mode to see which I prefer. In my ā€˜19 Grand Sport I preferred sport mode. First I need to learn how everything works in this car - Iā€™m 10 days in and havenā€™t had time to read the manual or watch tutorials to see how all these gadgets work yet.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Doing a track day next weekend at NOLA - Iā€™ll probably run some sessions in track mode and some in sport mode to see which I prefer. In my ā€˜19 Grand Sport I preferred sport mode. First I need to learn how everything works in this car - Iā€™m 10 days in and havenā€™t had time to read the manual or watch tutorials to see how all these gadgets work yet.
Do yourself a favor and read the appropriate section(s) in the manual before watching any "tutorials".

Videos tend to portray the videographer's opinions as facts.

Norm

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Back in the day, you were taught to apply the throttle smooth (like you had an egg between your foot and the gas pedal). So you donā€™t over apply the gas and spin out. Plus there was a cable from gas pedal to the throttlebody or carburetor that directly controlled how fast you went.

With drive by wire, the programming can make it linear or quick opening or sluggish ( not quick opening)

Ford is trying to avoid lawsuits from Owners driving on the track and going backwards into to tire barrier.

These cars have a lot of low end torque, so all kinds of safeties are programmed in.

I would argue any high performance car really need something other then money to purchase them.

Do you think the Track Attack School is just Ford being nice?
Sponsored

Last edited: