Sponsored

Why does Mustang GT cost $5K more than Camaro LT1 ?

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
Buy the car you want and what you think you will enjoy the most. This is a Mustang forum so naturally the opinions here are going to heavily favor the Ford.

If I had $5000 offered to me to day I took delivery of my Mustang if I took delivery of a similarly equipped Camaro instead, I would have said no. I still would say no.

Your preferences may vary.
Sponsored

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I wanted the ZL1. Loved the power, handling and looks. However, I have a wife and 2 daughters and there was no way they would all fit in the Camaro. I ended up with a premium GT over the GT500 or Roush due to the inflated cost. Almost had a 2020 GT350 for 65k...but didn't want red.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The extra $5k is so you don't have to drive a Chevrolet.
Ford does not agree. After visiting the Ford museum, I suggested they add a Chevrolet to the "alternatives to automobiles" section. Was rejected. I warned Ford that such an endorsement could show up in Chevrolet marketing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
Mind blown, wtf? How long have they been doing this

So what’s the difference between 1LT, 2LT, and LT1 now? And why would they name one of their trims the same thing as their engine? Lmfao, horrible marketing team

You can find used 1LT and 2LT 6G Camaros on the used market

I’m so lost now
LT1 package came out 3-4 years ago and was meant to be a stripped down cost effective option to compete better against mustang GT pricing.

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Simple answer = Because Ford can charge whatever they want. There's no reason why they need the mustang priced the same as the camaro and vice versa. If you feel that you like the camaro better, then buy that? 5k wouldnt be enough to sway me from one or the other. At the end of the day, Im buying what I like, 5k be damned. This type of purchase isnt a "smart" purchase so buy what you like, not based on value. That said, I am a previous owner of a 18 ZL1 and a 19 Z06. I bought the camaro at that time because I just didnt like the front end of the 15-17 mustangs. Interior and visability is what made me sell that for the vette. I sold the vette due to just being tired of seeing them all the time. I prefer to have something more unique. Not that the mustang is but once the Mach 1 was released, I fell in love.

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
Simple answer = Because Ford can charge whatever they want. There's no reason why they need the mustang priced the same as the camaro and vice versa. If you feel that you like the camaro better, then buy that? 5k wouldnt be enough to sway me from one or the other. At the end of the day, Im buying what I like, 5k be damned. This type of purchase isnt a "smart" purchase so buy what you like, not based on value. That said, I am a previous owner of a 18 ZL1 and a 19 Z06. I bought the camaro at that time because I just didnt like the front end of the 15-17 mustangs. Interior and visability is what made me sell that for the vette. I sold the vette due to just being tired of seeing them all the time. I prefer to have something more unique. Not that the mustang is but once the Mach 1 was released, I fell in love.
“Isn’t a smart purchase…”
That’s so true. In fact, my wife had to remind me of that at least once a week. Just to get her to shut up about it, I have to throw her the keys every now and then. Now it’s the best purchase I ever made. Go figure.

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
“Isn’t a smart purchase…”
That’s so true. In fact, my wife had to remind me of that at least once a week. Just to get her to shut up about it, I have to throw her the keys every now and then. Now it’s the best purchase I ever made. Go figure.
I wish my wife was on board with my car hobby...lol She kinda was when i first met her 7yrs ago. Little did she know how bad my hobby is. 19 cars later in that time frame, she no longer wants anything to do with cars...lol She tolerates it at best because she knows I love cars. Coincidently, her favorite out of all my cars is my miata..lol(mine too)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
5k wouldnt be enough to sway me from one or the other. At the end of the day, Im buying what I like, 5k be damned. ... I sold the vette due to just being tired of seeing them all the time. I prefer to have something more unique. Not that the mustang is but once the Mach 1 was released, I fell in love.
SS/1LE 45K in '19 now 48.5K MSRP vs Mach1 at 60.5K is a tidy chunk of change.

At the lesser trims the pricing is a toss-up with the notable exception of GT/PP1+MR at 50K (not even a premium) vs Camaro SS with MR+1LE tune at 45K.

The Mustang greenhouse and overall cabin ergonomics is considerably better than the Camaro. The B-pillar visibility is just atrocious in the Camaro and head-checks are basically worthless.

Speaking of Corvette, I drove a C8 for 40 minutes the other day. The greenhouse is mostly excellent with nothing blocking head checks. The problem is the brow is too low. They should have angled the glass far more steeply, brought it closer in and raised the roof at least an inch and pulled the brow at least 2 inches closer so traffic lights and so forth are visible without craning ones neck. Still a massive improvement over the Camaro. It's just a damn shame about the transmission - I won't buy until they put a manual shifter (even if it's "virtual") into the car. the paddle shifters were crap - should have been micro-switch tactile response and the shift strategy was embarrassment to performance unless you had the pedal pinned to the floor.

Sponsored

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
SS/1LE 45K in '19 now 48.5K MSRP vs Mach1 at 60.5K is a tidy chunk of change.

At the lesser trims the pricing is a toss-up with the notable exception of GT/PP1+MR at 50K (not even a premium) vs Camaro SS with MR+1LE tune at 45K.

The Mustang greenhouse and overall cabin ergonomics is considerably better than the Camaro. The B-pillar visibility is just atrocious in the Camaro and head-checks are basically worthless.

Speaking of Corvette, I drove a C8 for 40 minutes the other day. The greenhouse is mostly excellent with nothing blocking head checks. The problem is the brow is too low. They should have angled the glass far more steeply, brought it closer in and raised the roof at least an inch and pulled the brow at least 2 inches closer so traffic lights and so forth are visible without craning ones neck. Still a massive improvement over the Camaro. It's just a damn shame about the transmission - I won't buy until they put a manual shifter (even if it's "virtual") into the car. the paddle shifters were crap - should have been micro-switch tactile response and the shift strategy was embarrassment to performance unless you had the pedal pinned to the floor.
well sure, if your comparing those trims, then yea id have to think about it. I mean the camaro is a great value for what it is. Me personally, dont care for the looks of them outside of the ZL1. That to me is enough for me to spend more to get what I actually like even if the "value" isnt there. I never driven a C8, yet. Im the same way, I need a manual trans. Partly why I didnt go gt500 as much as the dct looks like a great transmission. For a weekend backroads carver, manual is the most fun.

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
There is no question that:
1.) For tracking/motorsport use, the 1SS+1LE or even 1SS+MR+LE suspension upgrade is the best value vs. any iteration of the mustang currently available
2.) Everything else about the car (outward visibility, car appearance, interior quality, interior and trunk space and access) is so far off the mark that twice as many choose mustang despite higher price.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
There is no question that:
1.) For tracking/motorsport use, the 1SS+1LE or even 1SS+MR+LE suspension upgrade is the best value vs. any iteration of the mustang currently available
2.) Everything else about the car (outward visibility, car appearance, interior quality, interior and trunk space and access) is so far off the mark that twice as many choose mustang despite higher price.
this is probably the best summary. i looked at everything. challengers, camaros, Q60's, RC's, GR86, M2, etc... everything with 4 seats and 2 doors for under like 60k.

some had better interior but no stick. (infiniti/lexus)
some reminded my wife of a civic (the bmw)
some were just too small (GR86) (trade off, power for price)
some had horrible interiors (camaro/challenger) (trade of, livability for performance)
some were just pigs (challenger)

nothing under 70K (maybe 100K) is as good at being a Grand Touring car as the current mustang GT. everything sacrifices the critical elements.

1. comfortable interior
2. 4 seats 2 doors
3. decent trunk
4. handling
5. power

i mean, would ya just lookat that...

1667314764806.png

Bruce Jr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I actually like the Camaro & I think it's a great car but I have always been a Ford guy; it was not hard making a decision to order my '22 Mach 1 (if I had to chose between the Camaro & Challenger I'd go Camaro)

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra
I wanted the ZL1. Loved the power, handling and looks. However, I have a wife and 2 daughters and there was no way they would all fit in the Camaro. I ended up with a premium GT over the GT500 or Roush due to the inflated cost. Almost had a 2020 GT350 for 65k...but didn't want red.
This, LT4 is a beast. And more reasonable then the GT500 too
Sponsored