Sponsored

Why do dealers waste money on their stickers and plate frames?

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Jay, your pics did not post properly. Regardless I’m sure a dealer isn’t doing this in lieu of stickers and plates. Stickers and plates are considered advertising and paid for, in part, by the manufacturer. I would be really concerned about a dealer hacking my car to put their name in my electronics system.
Toyota has it on some of their systems as does Honda. It’s not hacking, it’s a quick welcome follower by manufacturer logo and dealership name underneath as the unit turns on. I’m sure there’s a way to remove that, but it’s not hurting either.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Toyota has it on some of their systems as does Honda. It’s not hacking, it’s a quick welcome follower by manufacturer logo and dealership name underneath as the unit turns on. I’m sure there’s a way to remove that, but it’s not hurting either.
It may not be very intrusive now . . . but the lid on a whole new Pandora's box has just been opened a crack.

Norm

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
It may not be very intrusive now . . . but the lid on a whole new Pandora's box has just been opened a crack.

Norm
GM has had to for years n years with OnStar. What Toyota has is a welcome note.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, first off, we're talking Mustang's & Ford's not Toyota's & Honda's. If this is something that is approved by the manufacturer fine, but if it's not it's hacking. As far as it not hurting, how do you know? Do you really want your dealer in your electronics system. I'd have it pulled immediately.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
GM has had to for years n years with OnStar. What Toyota has is a welcome note.
One's the manufacturer the other is a dealer. Apples and oranges. Again if this Toyota approved then so be it. Still do not like it.

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
OK, first off, we're talking Mustang's & Ford's not Toyota's & Honda's. If this is something that is approved by the manufacturer fine, but if it's not it's hacking. As far as it not hurting, how do you know? Do you really want your dealer in your electronics system. I'd have it pulled immediately.
Okay first, no need to get bent out of shape you’re the one who keeps asking me questions. As far as it not hurting, do you own a Toyota? I am sure if you did you’d know it’s apart of their ETune 3.0. Again it’s like a screen saver, I’m surprise you’ve never seen it. There’s a ton of help out of how to change screen startup image on your vehicle. So it’s nothing scarier than a slapped decal on the back which wears less than 5 minutes to remove.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Okay first, no need to get bent out of shape you’re the one who keeps asking me questions. As far as it not hurting, do you own a Toyota? I am sure if you did you’d know it’s apart of their ETune 3.0. Again it’s like a screen saver, I’m surprise you’ve never seen it. There’s a ton of help out of how to change screen startup image on your vehicle. So it’s nothing scarier than a slapped decal on the back which wears less than 5 minutes to remove.
Yeah, sorry about that. I need another cup of coffee. No, I didn't know about Toyota Etune3.0 (I worked for them back in the days of the Celica :)). If it's just a welcome screen I guess it's OK, but I would still want to delete it. I 100% agree about the sticker. The dealer picked up my car front another local dealer who had already but their sticker on. It was long gone by the time I picked it up.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So it’s nothing scarier than a slapped decal on the back which wears less than 5 minutes to remove.
Guaranteed it's scarier if you're not comfortable working within setup files and what-not. Not every electronic device guru would be comfortable assembling an engine or doing wheel alignment.

Norm

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
A lot of buyers don't notice them, let alone take them off. As a matter of fact, some prefer to put them on there!

It's "free" promotion, same as the dealer stickers/decals on the rear bumper/trunks. I know down here I see both all over the place, especially Rick Case.

8c1fe7b34ea091b3fc45040dcb19a22e.png
That's because they advertise all over the place...I'm convinced it has something to do with his wife's hats ;-)...And the fact that they sell Hyundai doesn't hurt them. It's the Toyota Camry of 2019.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, sorry about that. I need another cup of coffee. No, I didn't know about Toyota Etune3.0 (I worked for them back in the days of the Celica :)). If it's just a welcome screen I guess it's OK, but I would still want to delete it. I 100% agree about the sticker. The dealer picked up my car front another local dealer who had already but their sticker on. It was long gone by the time I picked it up.
I gotcha now. It’s funny what one may live with another cannot. My FIL picked up a new Jeep and left on the dealership tag decal on the tailgate. I asked why? He’s like, I guess I never noticed until you said something. I told him, I’d take it off under 5mins without paint damage. He’s told me ehhh, it’s not hurting nothin. Don’t waste your time. Me that would drive me nuts. My wife had a Toyota / Lexus (How I know first hand about the screen) & I should really get to it removing it but atlas it’s ehh low on my list sorta like how my FIL feels with a dealer decal. :)
Sponsored