Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Fastback for me, although I've kinda been craving a convertible. But every damn tourist around here rents a convertible and the freeways are teeming with V6 convertibles. Cant really stand out even though the weather is always ideal for driving a convertible. So fastback it is.

OP
OP

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
My xkr is a vert...love having the option to drop the top. I'm in FL and even in June-Sept a nighttime cruise in those soft summer nights is awesome. I'm sure the new vert is probably as rigid as the old coupe or maybe even better...

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Convertibles are gross. Extra body roll, a giant 'vandalize me' sign and a dumb profile when you have the top up. Never trust cloth on the outside of your vehicle.

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Woulda loved a vert(currently driving a drop top)

Time & $$$$

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Around here convertibles are for girls lol
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with that statement but if you look at the statistics i guess you could argue that the mustang as a whole is for girls. Most of the gt's that i see on the road are driven by females and it does have a "secretary car" reputation.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Excuse me? Do most Mustang buyers concern themselves with the Track or Drag Strip? How about taking your Golden Retrievers to the Beach for a swim in the Ocean with the Top down? That too complicated?:clap2:
The question isn't why everybody might or might not want a convertible, it's about why each individual might.

For me, the years where I could have realistically even considered a convertible ended some time before 2008 due to issues with heat stress (it got brief mention when I was shopping for my current GT but no serious consideration). Knowing my own driving - the chassis of most any car I own gets stressed pretty good in cornering on a regular basis - I think I'd have always bought a coupe or sedan for the stiffness and structural integrity regardless.

Norm

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with that statement but if you look at the statistics i guess you could argue that the mustang as a whole is for girls. Most of the gt's that i see on the road are driven by females and it does have a "secretary car" reputation.

Considering that was its target audience when it was first built.

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
I'm not even going to bother with a test drive until the convertibles come out but then I'm biased.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Reasons not to get a convertible:

- They're much easier / more tempting break into, since you just need a knife to slit the cloth with.
- They're much more rattle-prone.
- Visibility is worse (with the top up).
- It's harder to clear snow off the top without scratching the top.
- The top needs to be replaced periodically.
- Leaks will eventually occur.
- Less protection in rollover accidents.

Reasons to get a convertible:

- The wind blowing in your hair as you cruise along would be nifty for about ten minutes until you get sick of the sun beating down on you and realize you can't hold a conversation or listen to music because of the wind noise and there are bugs flying into your car.

OP
OP

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score

- They're much easier / more tempting break into, since you just need a knife to slit the cloth with.

- The wind blowing in your hair as you cruise along would be nifty for about ten minutes until you get sick of the sun beating down on you and realize you can't hold a conversation or listen to music because of the wind noise and there are bugs flying into your car.
At speeds under 60 wind noise is not really an issue for us and the side windows car always be raised, never had any bugs; that's what the windscreen is for. No leaks or need for top replacement as vert top have come a long way over the years. I think the new top should be quite good for those that want a vert.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible

Perhaps if I lived in NYC or another large Metro Urban environment surrounded by "Hood Rats", I`d have similar concerns. Rattle -Prone, ever driven a late model Audi or BMW Convertible, rattles? Say what? Clearing off "Snow", where, here in South Florida? I`m looking forward for my first Blizzard! Leaks? You can`t get a leak caused by a faulty rubber door seal in a Coupe or Sedan? Safety from a roll-over in a crash? Air Bags and Seat/Shoulder belts should help but how often have (you) experienced a Roll-Over? Top needs to be replaced periodically? Unless it gets vandalized, during a typical 5 years period of ownership? As far as Visibility, the Fastback/Coupe has terrible blind spots from every direction. As far as looks and appearance goes, its all in the eyes of the beholder (but) nothing screams Mustang like a Convertible, sorry.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Loses the fastback looks, gains weight, increased NVH, decreased rigidity.
Exactly what "I" wanted to do, loose the Fastback/Coupe look for the much sleeker Convertible profile. NVH, Rigidity, Weight Gain? For typical street use and a Daily driver, wow! Excellent rationale.
Sponsored