Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
My first car was a 1970 Cougar w 351W. I grew up feeding on Camaros. Its hard to get that taste out of your mouth.

asc709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP
When I was a kid, I had a third gen f-body. Piece of junk….everything broke on that car. Made me really dislike GM products. Nothing but Ford products after that…

Fast forward 20 years and I’m looking for a brand new GT Premium. Then I realize I can get a brand new C7 for just a few thousand more. I pull the trigger and put 82k on that car. It was a beast…an absolute pleasure to drive. But it felt cheap and GM. I knew it was gonna break down…At 82kmit needed a new torque tube.

I traded it in with some great positive equity, and I was looking at a ZL1. Then my wife says “another GM for you to be disappointed in?” Got the PP1 Mustang and I love it.

Maybe a C8 with an extended warranty in a couple years. Mayyyybe……

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my 2017 GT/PP with 17,000 miles on it for $29,700. I've recently installed a Roush Phase 2 supercharger and have a few other mods. Roush axle backs, spoiler, side scoops, stripes, Steeda suspension. Im guessing I have around $45,000 total in the car. To me that's a wow. Everytime I drive the car it's a treat. The ZL1 is a good looking car but I'll take the Mustang any day.

KJZ28

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KevinJoyce.HoulihanLawrence.com
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT SP1
I have owned nothing but Camaros before this. The new Camaro is not that good looking, its not as comfortable, it was more money, and there is not a lot availability. The Mustang looks awesome, is a great daily, sounds bonkers shifting at 7,500rpm, and was cheaper.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I have owned nothing but Camaros before this. The new Camaro is not that good looking, its not as comfortable, it was more money, and there is not a lot availability. The Mustang looks awesome, is a great daily, sounds bonkers shifting at 7,500rpm, and was cheaper.
Almost exactly my reasons as well, plus I simply did not like the interior, and if that is what I'm looking at 100% of the time I'm driving the car... well.... ;)

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Wanted the ZL1...tried to get my wife and 2 daughters in, not happening. My 13yo was hunched over in the back seat...my 8 yo complained that my seat was too far back and my wife hated the seats. Already had a challenger...so went to the mustang. It's not as big as my charger SCAT was that I traded in...but she's a 6MT and we all fit.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey we can also make sure to keep the high wheel arches to insure visibly is crap.”
the Caddy boys used the same chassis and gave it a perfectly useable greenhouse and back seat. Chevy just needs to beat the snot out their gdamn Gundam design studio. Quit auditioning to be in the next Transformers movie...

and if that is what I'm looking at 100% of the time I'm driving the car... well.... ;)
When I'm driving I tend to be looking out the window... Cabin? What cabin?

KJZ28

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT SP1
Almost exactly my reasons as well, plus I simply did not like the interior, and if that is what I'm looking at 100% of the time I'm driving the car... well.... ;)
I agree. I have always been a classic Muscle Car/ Pony Car guy and the interior of the Mustang gives me that vibe I love. The Camaro's is cool looking but dark like a cave.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I seriously wonder what was going though the engineers heads when they said “ hey let’s completely redesign this car with an awesome chassis and make it look exactly like the previous model. Hey we can also make sure to keep the high wheel arches to insure visibly is crap.”

I really wish they would have made a better car. Without competition there is no incentive to innovate.
This.

How many iterations of the '69 are needed, when the '70-'73 is by far the best of the lot. If they wanted to go retro, it should have been a modern version of the big mouth.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I agree. I have always been a classic Muscle Car/ Pony Car guy and the interior of the Mustang gives me that vibe I love. The Camaro's is cool looking but dark like a cave.
... of course I've never driven a mean aggressive looking ZL1 for a week to see what reactions would be like (my buddy who has one certainly doesn't allude to this happening in his), but in my VB GT I get a honk, thumbs up or - sometimes dangerous - head turn by almost all ages, demographics and genders 75% of the time I take the car out. This car gets a lot of looks.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
This.

How many iterations of the '69 are needed, when the '70-'73 is by far the best of the lot. If they wanted to go retro, it should have been a modern version of the big mouth.

10-4

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
... of course I've never driven a mean aggressive looking ZL1 for a week to see what reactions would be like (my buddy who has one certainly doesn't allude to this happening in his), but in my VB GT I get a honk, thumbs up or - sometimes dangerous - head turn by almost all ages, demographics and genders 75% of the time I take the car out. This car gets a lot of looks.
People noticed my 2018 GT and would comment on it at gas stations or occasionally in a parking lot as they walked by, and it would get looks on the road. But, I never once saw anyone take a picture of it, either out in the wild while driving, or at car meets. It was a good looking car, but a dime a dozen.

My '21 ZL1...same looks on the street and parking lots, the difference is I've seen a number of people pull their phone out to take pics - on the street, in parking lots, even a mom in a minivan once did a double take, grabbed her phone, and took a pic while at a stop light. A few weeks ago leaving my gym, I was walking up to it while a guy was checking it out and he asked me if he could take a picture of it.

Cars and Coffee or other car meets, same story, strangers taking pictures. Multiple times I've seen people gather around it waiting for the owner to come back to ask me about it.

It seems people either know, or sense by the styling, that it is not a typical car.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
People noticed my 2018 GT and would comment on it at gas stations or occasionally in a parking lot as they walked by, and it would get looks on the road. But, I never once saw anyone take a picture of it, either out in the wild while driving, or at car meets. It was a good looking car, but a dime a dozen.

My '21 ZL1...same looks on the street and parking lots, the difference is I've seen a number of people pull their phone out to take pics - on the street, in parking lots, even a mom in a minivan once did a double take, grabbed her phone, and took a pic while at a stop light. A few weeks ago leaving my gym, I was walking up to it while a guy was checking it out and he asked me if he could take a picture of it.

Cars and Coffee or other car meets, same story, strangers taking pictures. Multiple times I've seen people gather around it waiting for the owner to come back to ask me about it.

It seems people either know, or sense by the styling, that it is not a typical car.
... then I wonder if those who are taking pictures KNOW it is a ZL1 (rarer) and are enthusiasts.

Reminds me of when I was driving my buddy's super clean 5.0L fox with rumbly exhaust. He was following me in my light blue E30. Car full of girls looked over hootin' and hollerin' at my buddy in my BMW, couldn't care less about the Mustang. It was classic, I was clear to tell him it was the car....

KJZ28

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT SP1
That was a shocking experience for me. I thought it was going to be similar to my 2010 Camaro SS, but this is on a whole new level of looks, comments, waves, etc.