Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Sounds to me like he's comparing new to new.
My point is, you can't take a stock car and then compare it to another car that has 10k in mods.

If that's how you wanna do it, I could go buy some new Civic and throw money at it and then say, wow the mustang gt is overpriced cause my civic with a turbo is faster. It's stupid

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
'dem Mustang fans will buy anything we sell. They wouldn't get caught dead looking at or buying a Camaro and are thus blissfully unaware of how badly overpriced and late to the game we are.
Gotta say the GT 350 is worth it but the Mach is almost the same dollar without the engine. At least they upped the tranny.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
There’s probably a huge reason the Camaro gets outsold 4 to 1 year in and year out. Just sayin.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Other than the obvious preference in looks I simply was stating the Mach 1 is not worth the extra $8k over the 2SS 1 LE. And the disparity is even greater with a 1SS 1 LE at $13,000.

I can use a lot of mirrors for that much coin. And the 2SS does have BSIL.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
while I respect most other auto brands.....I'm just partial to Fords
The thought just never crossed my mind for anything but a Mustang.........
still not crossing my mind :crackup:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I love the “Camaro is a gawd damn track weapon” quote. And normal people drive on a track how often? Think about it? I’ll wait.

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
No, my $1000 junker with $1000 of NOS is the greatest.

It is though. When you talk about the "value" of a car, you can't just cherry-pick features and aspects. You have to look at the whole car. That includes the aesthetics, ergonomics, fit-n-finish, etc. Bottom line is that the Mach1 offers a better looking car, with far more heritage behind it than the alphabet soup Camaro models. It's also much easier to live with on a day-to-day basis. If you compare only the track performance, sure the Camaro is a "better value", but as a complete vehicle, it falls behind the Mach1 in every metric.
I agree, better looking and more heritage in the Mach 1 for sure. Ergonomics and fit to finish, no, they're comparable.

Easier to live with, I don't know, I've daily driven my 1SS 1LE for over 50,000 miles and I have no complaints.

Performance, the Camaro SS 1LE wins in every metric, and I got my 2018 new out the door for just over $40K. Try to do that with a Mach 1.

There’s probably a huge reason the Camaro gets outsold 4 to 1 year in and year out. Just sayin.
Because GM marketing sucks. The naming of Camaro models is downright stupid, with pretty much zero heritage. Where is the Z28, where is the COPO, where is the Yenko? Instead we get LT1, 1LT, 2LT, BS I call it.

Other than the obvious preference in looks I simply was stating the Mach 1 is not worth the extra $8k over the 2SS 1 LE. And the disparity is even greater with a 1SS 1 LE at $13,000.

I can use a lot of mirrors for that much coin. And the 2SS does have BSIL.
Depends on what you want in a car. I would prefer Camaro SS 1LE performance and price in a car that looks like a GT 350, but you can't get that.

groove93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Brown
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The LT1 was a good Idea IMO, and could have been the "gateway drug" to the higher-end V8 Models, but the markups are just ridiculous. I've only seen one LT1 in my area, while the rest are just 1LT's. Maybe 2 SS models. 35 to 40 Grand when the only real difference is the Engine, all the while the car was "marketed" to be in the low to mid 30s.

Well who sits comfortably in that 30 to 40 grand range? Mustang GTs, Charger/Challenger RTs/Scatpacks (if you can find one for a decent price with low mileage). These are tried and tested products with years of being on the market in that price range.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Usually when someone says something like this they haven't driven a ZL1 - it's the complete performance package for a good price. There's multiple stock ZL1s in the 10.9X on Camaro6. And there's multiple ZL1s trapping 127+ mph:

Stock ZL1:
10.94 @ 128.3 mph
10.99 @ 129.0 mph
11.10 @ 127.9 mph
11.27 @ 125.9 mph
There's another one down the list that went only 11.58 sec. but trapped 128.0 mph

Sure, you could buy a GT and boost it and run 10s. What would you have? A new GT without a drivetrain warranty that might outrun a stock ZL1 in the 1/4 mile. In EVERY other performance metric, that GT would get destroyed by a ZL1: Handling, grip, braking, steering feel, composure, drivetrain ruggedness (stronger trans, etc.), and top speed (just because). And good luck trying to keep up with a ZL1 on a back road in a boosted GT.

The ZL1 is very good at everything, performance-wise, and comes fully loaded (w/ heated/cooled electric Recaros - not something that can be found in a Mustang). A ZL1 runs with a Hellcat in a straight line and beats a GT350R around a track. A boosted GT is a one trick pony. A GT500 is very good at everything also (although less grip than a ZL1), but a lot more money (and 250 lbs heavier).

I had a 2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1 A10 w/ MagneRide; I'd rather have my stock ZL1 than my (former) GT boosted to 750 hp. The ZL1 is that much better overall. Yeah, you can see out of the Mustang better, but, whatever. :sunglasses:
I just love cars, so even though I'm a Mustang owner, I would have bought a 2SS Camaro if I could have found a Gray on Gray one that wasn't a former rental car (zero of those in the entire US for sale when I gave up looking, only 4 gray on gray's total in the US and all former rentals). I love the ZL1. You are right in everything you say. BUT it's a 65-72K car. The right competitor for that machine is NOT the Mach 1 that's normally aspirated and 10K less. The right competitor from Ford is the Roush RS3 that has a similar cost, is supercharged from the factory with a 5yr. 60K powertrain warranty and similar performance. IMHO it has a far better interior, is more exclusive, you can see out of it and carry enough shiznit for a week vacation. If I could have either right now... RS3. Signed... Roush RS2 owner lol...

https://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles/mustang-2021-stage3.html

Last edited:

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
I love the “Camaro is a gawd damn track weapon” quote. And normal people drive on a track how often? Think about it? I’ll wait.
Exactly, how well they do at the track does not sell these cars to the average consumer.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Because GM marketing sucks. The naming of Camaro models is downright stupid, with pretty much zero heritage. Where is the Z28, where is the COPO, where is the Yenko? Instead we get LT1, 1LT, 2LT, BS I call it.

Depends on what you want in a car. I would prefer Camaro SS 1LE performance and price in a car that looks like a GT 350, but you can't get that.
Well the up side is you get to own the much rarer car. And it rides like a race car. So yaaaay for you. In reality though, people not buying them has nothing to do with advertising. And everything to do with they are just not very good everyday cars. Most people think of them as a slightly cooler Hyundai genesis coupes. They look nice and are sporty. But nobody really wants to own one.

Last edited:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Im torn between the 2020 Mustang GT and the 2020 Camaro SS both in A10 variants. And both seem to be very close in many aspects. I plan on asking this question on a camaro forum, but the other way around. But Im curious about those that shopped both seriously and chose the Mustang in the end. Lets not use the "visibility" argument though. I've driven both extensively and that isnt a problem in the camaro, at least not for me. What else prevented you from getting the camaro? Was it price, availability or was it options?? Lets have a real conversation without a flame war starting. Thanks.
Ride Like Crap, at least their Performance Pack cars do. Its like riding in a Horse and Buggy. Plus the rear window is worthless to look out.