OP
OP

Flavoade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 GB w/ Blk Roof, and Black stripe
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to hear it! I see you're in LA - holler when you are ready for a track day and we can meet up. Lot's of good local clubs around here that will do a fine job getting you on track in the GT350!
You stay in the boot? I stay south of Zachary. I have participated in a few track days over the years at Circuit Grand Bayou. I first used my 2003 CTS V6. I bought a Turbo DSM a few years back and tracked it twice, but the previous owners made a lot of "upgrades" so it performed pretty bad the two times I went, with it overheating the last time I went.

It was a miserable experience. The previous owner of the DSM has a few brothers and they are into imports. One has a EVOX that the previous owner setup to run at Nola Motorsports, another has a Integra Type R, and the other brother has a AE86 with an S2000 swap. I could not compete at all, so I decided I needed something that could which ultimately led to the 350.

The plan has been to run the car at Nola. I heard Circuit Grand Bayou was resurfaced, but I dont plan to go there. Even though its cheaper and they have more days, the course was in rough condition. I would like to tour a few tracks with it, like you do; and one day take it to the Nurburgring

Orginally it would have been a 5.0 with the performance pack, but right before I bought the 350, I actually got a Sales job at a Chevy dealership. I knew the Camaro was a high performer, but I slept on it, because it was a Camaro. I was given the opportunity to buy an 18 ZL1 and a SS 1LE, but I passed on them because I saw the 350 as being more special.

I had the opportunity to drive a few SS Camaros and they were impressive, but I still bought the 350.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm in east Texas (I think? still getting to know the area), but travel quite a bit since I am now near(ish) so many amazing tracks. I've been hoping to hit up NOLA soon, so happy to drive over.

I'd KILL to send my 350 to Europe and go have fun at a few tracks over there. I have it real bad for Spa. Ultimate track for me!

Cool story about how you got your car. How do your colleagues like the car? I've found that folks are quite....passionate about their preferred American car brands. Surprising how many 'Vette's there are in the Southeast and how many Challenges in TX.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I'm in east Texas (I think? still getting to know the area), but travel quite a bit since I am now near(ish) so many amazing tracks. I've been hoping to hit up NOLA soon, so happy to drive over.

I'd KILL to send my 350 to Europe and go have fun at a few tracks over there. I have it real bad for Spa. Ultimate track for me!

Cool story about how you got your car. How do your colleagues like the car? I've found that folks are quite....passionate about their preferred American car brands. Surprising how many 'Vette's there are in the Southeast and how many Challenges in TX.
Officially, College Station is not considered East Texas. More like Central Texas. East Texas is pretty much East of I-45 and beyond. Lufkin/Nacogdoches is like the center of East Texas. Where are you from?

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I got an early 16 tech pack, didn't know about the cooler issue, I was able to get an R at MSRP so I traded it in and couldn't be happier.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I sold my GT350 to buy an R. I have recently been provided with an opportunity to buy a 991.1 2015 GT3. Drove the GT3 and afterwards it did not feel more special to me. It drives around very mundane vs the R. When I drive the R it always put a smile on my face. GT3 interior is exquisite, car is quick, overall is a beaut and one I've always wanted to own. Oddly enough while at the dealer with the R, it gathered quite a crowd. I was even requested to run the engine so they could hear it, asked how capable it was and of course about the CF wheels lol. I am still toying with the purchase of the GT3. But the #33 stays. Too special of a car to me to sell.
IMG_8455.jpg
Good for you. Keep the R, buy the GT3. Or, tell me where the GT3 is.

Sponsored

bli8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R - Lead Foot Gray
I just recently bought a '19 Carrera T, took delivery of it in Stuttgart and toured Europe for two weeks. That trip was one of the most pleasurable trips of my life. Looking back at the Porsche factory tour and how they build the cars, the quality of materials and the precision of it all, there is a stark difference in quality. The car was delivered in perfect condition to me. Compare that to Ford's delivery, how I had to spend an hour with a razor blade in getting the smeared silicone off of the inside of the windshield, poorly fitted side window gasket on the driver's side, small imperfection swirl marks from the factory and a scratch on the rear deck lid cover that couldn't be replaced at the time without replacing the entire trunk lid.
Hi Randy,
I'm in the middle of selling my R because I also placed an order for a T for European delivery at end of March. Car will be ready by late January but I need to wait for my daughter's spring break week so the whole family can go. A little off topic but can you share some tips for the trip? What are the must dos? I assume the museum and did you get a chance to get on the 'ring?
BTW how do you like the T?

Mike5876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue GT 1194 RWHP
I sold my 350R because it was the slowest 500+ hp car i have ever driven body panels fit like crap car tramlined all over the road bought a 2018 gt put 2 turbos on it couldn't be happier gt350 looks better but gt is better in my opinion

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I sold my 350R because it was the slowest 500+ hp car i have ever driven body panels fit like crap car tramlined all over the road bought a 2018 gt put 2 turbos on it couldn't be happier gt350 looks better but gt is better in my opinion
Thought you where going to say a Porsche, BMW, Merc. BuT!!!!! Bahahahahahahahaha!

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
My T was everything I wanted it to be while driving over there and am more than pleased with it. My kids stayed home though as there's not enough room for them and luggage. It was fine with just my wife I though. You can PM me here or on RL and can share more with you.
Curious if you were contemplating the GT3 vs the "T" or another model Porsche? Was it a cost decision, daily driver decision, etc? I love my R even after I have had one engine replaced. Dedicated track the car. I used to track a 997.1 and am a big Porsche fan. My dream car is the GT3 but will be a future purchase for me based on funds. The R was the next best thing and is competitive at my local track against the GT3's etc but it is not in the same league if that makes sense. I just saw a video from Matt Farah comparing the T to the GT3. Congrats on going to Germany to pick it up. Must have been a blast.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
I sold my GT350 to buy an R. I have recently been provided with an opportunity to buy a 991.1 2015 GT3. Drove the GT3 and afterwards it did not feel more special to me. It drives around very mundane vs the R. When I drive the R it always put a smile on my face. GT3 interior is exquisite, car is quick, overall is a beaut and one I've always wanted to own. Oddly enough while at the dealer with the R, it gathered quite a crowd. I was even requested to run the engine so they could hear it, asked how capable it was and of course about the CF wheels lol. I am still toying with the purchase of the GT3. But the #33 stays. Too special of a car to me to sell.
My bucket list is a GT3 as I am a track junkie but don't have the funds yet. I have an R and love it. Interesting comments you make. I wonder if you had it at 9K at the track you would have felt different about it?

Sponsored

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Well I would have considered a GT3 if I could have found an allocation at msrp. I was late to the game, the hype was much higher than the GT350 was and many have been paying exorbitant ADM's on those cars. I'm not a guy willing to do that. I did have a 997.2 GT3 for a few thousand miles but chose to sell it as it was just too focused a track car which sacrificed daily drivability. I have heard that the 991.1 and .2's are a bit more compliant, easier clutch etc but they still need to be revved pretty high to get the power out of them, just like the GT350's.

Looking back at my trip, not being able to procure an allocation for a GT3 got me into a T model. The GTS and the S didn't appeal to me as both are closer price wise to a GT3 and I didn't want to spend more to just get close to what I really wanted at the time. The T was the right model, with great parts and options at a cost that didn't approach the price of the GT3's. After having driven it in Germany on the ring, the autobahn, black forest, and in Austria, Grossglocker, Timmelsjoch, Silvretta and Jaufen passes etc the T was an awesome car to drive. Twin turbo low end no lag torque was great, rear wheel steering on the switchbacks, auto blip downshift, shorter shifter, plenty of power on the Autobahn, fit/finish is impeccable, zero rattles etc. In hind sight for what I use a 911 for, I'm not sure sure there is much of an upside to a GT3 at all. The T's have a lower production number than the GT3's as well. Now if I was heavily involved in tracking the GT3 would undoubtedly be better.
Thanks for the feedback! Makes sense. The T is a gorgeous car so again congrats on your purchase. I am heavily involved in tracking so I get what you are saying. I would have to go for a used GT3 based on prices. Hopeful they will come down but man they hold their value. What I love about the Porsche besides quality is how nimble it feels and the feeling of a rear engine car. Have fun with it!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
My bucket list is a GT3 as I am a track junkie but don't have the funds yet. I have an R and love it. Interesting comments you make. I wonder if you had it at 9K at the track you would have felt different about it?
The 9k rush is no joke. But, like the R, that is not feasible in the occasional street ride. Also, the gear box sucks for regular driving. The PDK is fast to shift but not fun at all. Ironically, if I do get a GT3 it will be with the PDK lol. Don't get me wrong! I agree with your statement that the R is not in the same league albeit comparably capable. The R fits my use for the car. Insane on track and fun has hell on the road. Just read the Drive review of the T. I love that it has the manual but not the fact that it does not have the N/A 3.8. Still a bad ass ride. But if I sink my teeth into a P car, it will be a GT3.
http://www.thedrive.com/video/22554...-and-spike-feresten-go-looking-for-the-answer

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
The 9k rush is no joke. But, like the R, that is not feasible in the occasional street ride. Also, the gear box sucks for regular driving. The PDK is fast to shift but not fun at all. Ironically, if I do get a GT3 it will be with the PDK lol. Don't get me wrong! I agree with your statement that the R is not in the same league albeit comparably capable. The R fits my use for the car. Insane on track and fun has hell on the road. Just read the Drive review of the T. I love that it has the manual but not the fact that it does not have the N/A 3.8. Still a bad ass ride. But if I sink my teeth into a P car, it will be a GT3.
http://www.thedrive.com/video/22554...-and-spike-feresten-go-looking-for-the-answer
Yep. Agreed. I am a manual guy as well but would opt for the PDK GT3 for track use. Hoping my second engine is rock solid. Had it at the track 4 times since and so far, so good.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Thank you. The T is under 3200 lbs. Cant remember how heavy the GT350 is but the T is 4-500 lbs lighter. Feels real solid and yet so much lighter and communicative.

I get the NA preference and the high revving nature of the GT3 (and the GT350 for that matter) but the T engine w/ the smaller turbos make for a great experience. You can't hear the turbos unless you have the windows down and the boost is real linear all the way up to it's 7,500 redline. The base 3.0 engine is actually better than the S and GTS for the street as the turbos spool up faster. It feels and sounds like any of the air-cooled 911's and the GT3 I've had in the past. I say go drive one before writing it off.
IMG_3160.JPG

Gorgeous Car!!!! Sick backdrop. Must have been a blast driving on those roads and picking it up from Porsche.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. The T is under 3200 lbs. Cant remember how heavy the GT350 is but the T is 4-500 lbs lighter. Feels real solid and yet so much lighter and communicative.

I get the NA preference and the high revving nature of the GT3 (and the GT350 for that matter) but the T engine w/ the smaller turbos make for a great experience. You can't hear the turbos unless you have the windows down and the boost is real linear all the way up to it's 7,500 redline. The base 3.0 engine is actually better than the S and GTS for the street as the turbos spool up faster. It feels and sounds like any of the air-cooled 911's and the GT3 I've had in the past. I say go drive one before writing it off.
IMG_3160.JPG
The T is about 40lbs heavier than the GT3. GT3 is 400lbs lighter than the R. You can most certainly feel the weight difference. The size and weight of the 911's is what I love. That and the crazy rear engine placement. I actually looked at the T online once it was announced. I agree with the Drive article and I am sure the T is faster around town than the GT3 because of the powerband. I love the car. I love your car. Would love to drive one. Not writing the T off. Just no my cup of T ; )
Sponsored