wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
ok, last response from me about this because I have been enjoying the thread over the years šŸ˜¬

Have zero idea what you mean "like a light switch at 6400 rpm plus". The Voodoo is such a tractable motor without any real spikes that you feel when driving it hard. If anything, I wish the power didn't start to nose over at 7500 on the way to the rev limiter.
dittoā€¦letā€™s see what happens at 6400, shall we?

5652A68A-F975-4640-AE04-BC177CA8C116.jpeg

ā€¦weird, nothing that it wasnā€™t doing before 6400 šŸ§
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I grew up on 4.6 Cobras and love hi-revving motors in general so the so called lack of low end torque doesn't bother me. I think if these cars came with 4.10 gears stock, this wouldn't even be a discussion for some people. The car has long legs so it's not easy to hit 8250 driving around town, but on the street for me up at Angeles Crest Highway, this car feels anything but slow. The exhaust note alone of the 350 should make this car more enjoyable to drive on the street than any coyote variant.

@stanglife

You know if you sell it, you'll probably want another one again some day.
to me, this is what gives everyone the lack of low end feeling. even first gear will go the speed limit lol.

my modded coyote felt more pop on the low end before it, and the zl1 after it is not even in the same category. the 350 does shine on track, but i could never get over the added counter weights to the FPC, the intake, and firing order...they knee capped the entire powertrain. it didn't rev fast to me either, but then again i managed to have an all around bad experience with the best looking mustang ever.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
thisā€¦times eleventy. Not to pile on, but I donā€™t believe there is any metric that a 13 Boss trumps the 350ā€¦unless the 350 driver forgets to downshift šŸ˜‰

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine for 4 years now and I have to say that every once in a while I think about selling her simply because I go stretches without driving it enough due to work, life ,etc.
But then I get in and drive around town, out in the country or a schedule track event and fall in love all over again. I've never lost that sense of excitement every time I get behind the wheel. The looks never get old, the sound of the exhaust, the way the car seems to shrink around me. Oh, and then there is the handling aspect; just can't part with her.

Wildwildwest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I've had mine for 4 years now and I have to say that every once in a while I think about selling her simply because I go stretches without driving it enough due to work, life ,etc.
But then I get in and drive around town, out in the country or a schedule track event and fall in love all over again. I've never lost that sense of excitement every time I get behind the wheel. The looks never get old, the sound of the exhaust, the way the car seems to shrink around me. Oh, and then there is the handling aspect; just can't part with her.
No truer words.

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
The idea that the GT350 is somehow a low rpm dog cracks me up and it shows that maybe people haven't ever tried things like S2000s and other small displacement hig rpm engines (or old school turbo cars). My 350R will spin the tires at 5k rpm in 3rd on some roads with 315mm PS4S rear tires. 2nd gear all day long pretty much anywhere. Yes, my Boss 302s felt stronger but part of that is the MT82 had much shorter gearing than the Tremec (when you look at speed in gears). On the same dyno, my stock 350R was stronger pretty much everywhere than my very strong AED-tuned Boss.

Oh, and for all of the talk of the 350 being a bargain 911 competitor, having driven more than a dozen 911s starting from mid 90s 993s to 991s, the 350s are SO MUCH more fun to drive. Not as refined or high quality but in terms of just laugh out loud, holy cow did I just get away with that type of driving, a 350 is so much better. Not even close. Even my 911 snob friends get out of mine and say how exciting it is.
Except probably the most important venue of all, the Street which is where most will do 95% of their driving or more. The Boss just felt much more lively and sporty to me, it had an attitude. I have a 500 now but wish I would have kept the Boss as my 2nd car.

20171126_141314.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't agree that the Voodoo engine is low on torque, but the GT350 is definitely geared more for road course lap times rather than fun street driving. I think it's fine; it always had plenty of power for everything I wanted to do on the street. 6th gear was pretty useless at most speed limits and 5th was a little marginal. I would have preferred the gears be higher numerically to give the engine a little more mechanical advantage at low speeds.

Those gears do make it easy to drive the GT350 in inclement weather, though. In a way they make the car more "streetable", if slightly less fun.

My 2017 GT PP1 hits a lot harder between 0 and 40 mph at typical street driving RPMs, but when you get into the last 10-20 mph before hitting the speed limit you do start to miss the power of the Voodoo. The 2017 feels better winding out now that I have the power pack 3 tune on it, but still nothing like a Voodoo.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I totally understand the love for the Bosses - I owned 2 of them! But once I got my 350R, I realized I was never reaching for the Boss LS keys, even with all of the suspension, brakes, clutch, etc work I had done to it to improve it's performance and driveability. The gearing was 100% perfect for a street car and mine made peak power at 7900rpm (AED tune, Steeda CAI, Borla Sport axelbacks) which was so fun. I regularly think about getting another one because they are so special.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Not just a 350 sale for me but anything I couldnā€™t enjoy on a regular basis got sold when we retired and moved to Wyoming. Sold it because I cannot enjoy it all year. Same with motorcycles. Just a different time in our lives. Do I miss it? Not really. Getting out of So Cal was worth it.
Sponsored