swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
By the definition of "Muscle Car", which was a mid-sized sedan or coupe with a big motor.

Mustangs were "Pony Cars", now they're Sports Coupes. Or as I like to call them, Grand Tourers, hence the "GT".

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a2kpy8y/
That carthrottle bog is just one person's opinion. But debating world religions would be easier that debating if the Mustang is a pony car or a muscle car or both. I certainly wouldn't chastise someone for calling it a muscle car.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That carthrottle bog is just one person's opinion. But debating world religions would be easier that debating if the Mustang is a pony car or a muscle car or both. I certainly wouldn't chastise someone for calling it a muscle car.
It's one person's knowledge and facts, not opinions.

It's "Pony Car", as in a MUSTANG. The Mustang created the Pony Car market, and the Pony Car Wars. It was never, nor is it now, a debate. There's just ignorance, or knowledge and understanding.

And please stop the P.C. crap. Correcting someone isn't "chastising" someone, it's sharing knowledge and information. Something that people used to appreciate, before everyone got so butt-hurt about everything.

Last edited:

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's "Pony Car", as in a MUSTANG. The Mustang created the Pony Car market, and the Pony Car Wars. It was never, nor is it now, a debate. There's just ignorance, or knowledge and understanding.

And please stop the P.C. crap. Correcting someone isn't "chastising" someone, it's sharing knowledge and information. Something that people used to appreciate, before everyone got so butt-hurt about everything.
https://musclecarclub.com

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g790/10-surprising-facts-about-american-muscle-cars/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/04/27/muscle-cars-pack-punch/549383002/

Anyone can post links in which a particular car is "defined" as either a pony car or a muscle car. Heck, someone even posited that the Mustang was no longer a pony car OR a muscle car because it now has IRS.

And someone could easily take offense at you calling it a Grand Touring even though Ford calls it a GT. :bandit:

PS. I'm on the pony car side

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Anyone can post links in which a particular car is "defined" as either a pony car or a muscle car. Heck, someone even posited that the Mustang was no longer a pony car OR a muscle car because it now has IRS.

And someone could easily take offense at you calling it a Grand Touring even though Ford calls it a GT.
Anyone can post links with incorrect information. Yes, that is true. People are wrong.....quite often.

Mustangs were the original Pony Car. This is non-debatable fact. Mustangs were never "Muscle Cars", this is also non-debatable fact.

If someone wants to go around stating the moon is made of cheese, I correct them.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Why do I think I've run into you on ARFCOM? :captain:

Sponsored

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
It's was the most affordable NA RWD manual car that you can buy new. Sometimes I thank God everyone overlooked the 3.7, because it meant that I could actually afford one.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Why do I think I've run into you on ARFCOM? :captain:
Not in years.

Still, I am an asshole. This is also non-debatable.

Plus I'm quitting smoking right now. Feel weird. So just ignore me.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Not in years.

Still, I am an asshole. This is also non-debatable.

Plus I'm quitting smoking right now. Feel weird. So just ignore me.
Deep breath, good sir. You'll make it.

If I've survived 17 years of General Discussion I can take anything. :crackup:

Sponsored

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
Deep breath, good sir. You'll make it.

If I've survived 17 years of General Discussion I can take anything. :crackup:
haha deep breaths... I just joined in October, and it is hilarious to see some of the back and forth over muscle, pony, gt. Usually if you look at who is posting's history, you will find 3/4's of their post are all negative or "correcting" someone. Use that time and effort to make your mustang faster is what I try and do :)

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Jesus never meant to upset anyone !, Muscle Car ,Pony, Gt who cares the car is' Awesome! ' but I bow to your extended knowledge and stand corrected. To me it's one of the best cars from the USA and I'm so pleased it's available in my Country. :like:

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
It looks infinitely better than the Camaro

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why did I choose my S550? Three words - flat plane crankshaft.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
This is intended more toward those who purchased new, but if you bought used and found exactly what you wanted please chime in. Did you order it or got lucky and found exactly what you wanted, or just picked one at random off the lot?
I've been autocrossing for a long time and in 2014-2015 I was in search of a new challenge for myself in the sport. I'd been driving fwd Neon ACRs mostly and had owned and competed in the SRT-4 ACR version for 10 years at this point. That car was great for me but by that time I had done all I could with it in autocross and felt like I was in a rut skillwise. I needed to change up my game.

Also at the same time in late 2014 a friend had gotten interested in autocross but also wanted a Mustang. If you know anything about autocross you'll know that it is very important to option a car correctly to have the highest performance potential for the class it is in, at least in the stock category. We both wanted to run in the stock category so the PP was the obvious choice there. I was torn between the EB and GT but my friend was like "no way I'm buying a Mustang that isn't a GT". He also isn't as competitive as I am so not as concerned about the weight of a car compared to comfort and convenience options so, he ordered a Premium trim level.

In late 2014 I wasn't totally sure what I wanted but he had his GTPP on the way. We made a deal for me to codrive his car for the 2015 season and that was great. I got to experience the S550 GT though his car. I also made some runs in an EB PP that another autocross buddy had. As you can imagine going to a car with twice the power and not twice the tire, that when you step on the gas the opposite thing happens (fwd vs rwd), was and has been quite a challenge for me.

While I was codriving the GT I was researching the market and trying to decide between EB and GT PPs. In June 2015 a white GT PP base turned up at my local dealer and my girlfriend, who is now my wife, told me no way on the EB. "No V-8 growl!" So, I traded my beloved but obsolete SRT-4 in on it and the rest is history.
Sponsored