Sponsored

Why did you buy (or why do you want) a base R?

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
160lbs is much more than a few pounds and I weigh 180lbs ; )
Summers here in Alabama are brutal. Luckily! Alabama has a mild winter and I drive my R practically all year. Don't drive or track much in the summer because I hate the heat. For that I have cars that cool my ass and back. I can tell you that in my tack pack that had A/C, I still sweat and when on track it was never on.
I don't know the weight difference between a base r and electronics package but its not 160lbs! I think you are looking between a regular Gt350 and a R
Sponsored

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
This question has been raised in many posts in a variety of threads, but I thought it’d be interesting to see the reasons of those who’ve bought (or want) base R models – i.e., without the electronics package – consolidated in a single thread.

To date, there have been less than a total of 150 base R models built (’15 – ’18) and Ford will cease building them at the end of this month (April ’18) due to the USDOT requirement that all cars built after that must have a back-up camera. So far, Ford’s solution is to simply make the electronics package a mandatory option – standard equipment – going forward. If the GT350 continues into the ’19 MY and/or beyond, it’ll be interesting to see if Ford takes that same approach or if they come up with a work-around, such as a camera with the image in the rear view mirror, allowing them to continue producing a somewhat stripped car.

So, back to the question - I’ll go first…..

I’m old school (my wife just says I’m old) and remember when the stripper version of a performance car was the hot ticket. Sure, adding a radio, speakers, and a few other creature comforts make the a car more comfortable for regular use (in some cases, even daily driver duty), but for pure sporting pleasure, I’m drawn to simple cars without much in the way of creature comforts. In the summer months, my weekend daily driver (if the weather cooperates) is a ’65 Cobra replica – manual steering, manual brakes, manual transmission, no driver aids, no side windows, no top, no exterior door handles, and the only “electronic” thing on the entire car is the Pertronix that replaced the dual points in the vintage Ford distributor residing in front of the carburetor.

For me, it’s not about the overall weight reduction – but rather the purpose-built character, the somewhat more visceral sound and feel that comes through when the manufacturer leaves out the fluff and does without sound deadening, underlayment, etc. and instead focuses on the track equipment.

With regard to the GT350R in 920A form, it would have been great in my opinion if Ford had gone even farther – no carpet... just a rubber mat for front seat area and just bare painted floor elsewhere, manual door windows, no rear defroster, fuel cell, tow hooks front and rear, integrated roll hoop, fixed shell seats on manual sliders, a fire suppression system – basically the things that can be found on some of the high-end track cars from Lotus, BMW, Porsche and Ferrari.

I’ve converted street cars into track tools before and even built my Cobra from the ground-up. I often use the phrase that fast cars are built, not bought. But, there are some very special factory cars out there that show what a company’s engineers are capable of when given enough latitude. Usually, those cars are very special and each component is designed to work together in harmony. Sure, many of us can take a regular car and mod the snot out of it to go faster than some of the factory specials - including a base R, but I for one always smile when I see a company let their hair down and allow their engineers to have some fun.

My plan for JR265 is to treat it as the special car it is – like all Rs are – and enjoy it as I see fit. I’m not buying it as an investment, but I will certainly take care to maintain it and be its caretaker for as long as I’m able, then it’ll someday go to a worthy niece or nephew. It’ll see occasional road use for errands and fun runs on country roads just to help me clear the cobwebs after a long day at work, cruise nights where kids can climb in it and start on the long journey down the road of being a gear head, long day trips in the Spring and Fall with a caravan of friends in their interesting cars – both old and new, and when broken-in sufficiently – it’ll turn laps at Road America, for sure.

Better or worse than an R with the electronics package? Well, that just depends on your intended use, wants, and needs. For me, it’s a somewhat civilized, though not too much, bridge between my ’65 Cobra replica and the full-on vintage road race ’65 Mustang fastback project I’m working on.

For that, I say "thank you, Ford." :cheers:
I see where you’re coming from Muligan....... :cheers:

and I can appreciate that....... talking about “Old School”

Google....... UTube videos “ Nicks Indy Garage”.......... now this guy

owns a local Muscle car shop, the real deal when it comes to Old School.... :hail:

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Base R and electronics R I would guess would be in the 50lb weight difference range also. Where is the weight? AC Compressor and attachments, radio and attachments, and ? Kind of negligible on a 3800lb car in a way.

As far as distractions, I usually have my radio off in my GT350 so I can hear the wonderful sounds of the FPC. Not having air in Florida, on the other hand, would be a huge distraction.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
130 and change between a Track Pack and an R.
so around 160 difference between a track pack 350 and a base R? sounds close..
I'm looking forward to seeing the final weight of the race spec GT500. 3950? hmmm

seen this at my local grocery store last sat. would be nice to see something as special come again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Base R and electronics R I would guess would be in the 50lb weight difference range also. Where is the weight? AC Compressor and attachments, radio and attachments, and ? Kind of negligible on a 3800lb car in a way.

As far as distractions, I usually have my radio off in my GT350 so I can hear the wonderful sounds of the FPC. Not having air in Florida, on the other hand, would be a huge distraction.
Based on the lack of the tire inflator and sealant kit, rearview camera, A/C, floor mats, radio, speakers, carpet underlay, trunk carpet and liners I would think that you are pretty much bang on with a guess of a 50 pound weight reduction.

Next time out I will weigh my base R and let you know where it comes in at with ~1/2 tank of fuel.

:cheers:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Based on the lack of the tire inflator and sealant kit, rearview camera, A/C, floor mats, radio, speakers, carpet underlay, trunk carpet and liners I would think that you are pretty much bang on with a guess of a 50 pound weight reduction.

Next time out I will weigh my base R and let you know where it comes in at with ~1/2 tank of fuel.

:cheers:
Oil pressure and temperature gauges, too, though the Base should have come with the pressure gauge, IMO.

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
My only complaint on the base R is not having the oil gauges in the center. Other than that I'ts exactly what we wanted just a simple collaboration of the right parts to make a pure driving experience on the street and the track. Never once have thought about needing a stereo and in the PNW we have no need for A/C...

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
We should see if Tom and Chris can get to a scale with full tanks in a few weeks when Chris takes delivery of his R near Tom! I'm curious as all hell now.

Carbon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Porsche 996 Turbo X50
I haven't bought one (yet?), but at 3700 or 3800 lbs the small weight savings don't seem worth what you lose in creature comforts. It's not some stripped out Cayman, GT3, or Elise. Hell I'd probably pay the thousand bucks to Ford Performance to get the rear seats back too.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
We should see if Tom and Chris can get to a scale with full tanks in a few weeks when Chris takes delivery of his R near Tom! I'm curious as all hell now.
Ford claims the base R weighs 3650. I have weighed mine and it was a little over 3660. With half a tank the car is dam near 3600lbs. Really am curious to the difference in the Elec pkg R. As some have estimated, 60lbs sounds about right. It may not seem like much but 60lbs IMO is much more than a "few" pounds and still pretty significant considering the majority of the weight sits on the nose. hence why I am buying a lithium, battery to lose another 30lbs over the nose.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
A little while ago I tried to do some thorough searching into the true weight savings of the base over electronics pack. The most I could do was find the weights of individual components as weighed by other individuals removing them from their car:

Trunk liner: ~5 lb
Tire inflator kit: ~5 lb
AC system: 38 lb total (compressor is 26 lb, condensor is 10 lb)
Radio: any ideas anyone?

The trunk liner and inflator kit was weighed by someone on the track mustangs forum. The AC compressor and condensor have their weights listed by Ford, and on another forum a member removed his AC on an S550 race car and weighed the system at just under 40 lb. The radio and speakers I haven't been able to find a weight on. The trunk liner and tire inflator are more like accessories that can be easily taken out of the trunk so I haven't given them as much concern.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
A little while ago I tried to do some thorough searching into the true weight savings of the base over electronics pack. The most I could do was find the weights of individual components as weighed by other individuals removing them from their car:

Trunk liner: ~5 lb
Tire inflator kit: ~5 lb
AC system: 38 lb total (compressor is 26 lb, condensor is 10 lb)
Radio: any ideas anyone?

The trunk liner and inflator kit was weighed by someone on the track mustangs forum. The AC compressor and condensor have their weights listed by Ford, and on another forum a member removed his AC on an S550 race car and weighed the system at just under 40 lb. The radio and speakers I haven't been able to find a weight on. The trunk liner and tire inflator are more like accessories that can be easily taken out of the trunk so I haven't given them as much concern.
6.5 inch speakers weigh about 2lbs each. How many speakers does the package have 7 or 9? Is there a sub? That's at least 20 lbs if not more not to include the wiring.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Ford claims the base R weighs 3650. I have weighed mine and it was a little over 3660. With half a tank the car is dam near 3600lbs. Really am curious to the difference in the Elec pkg R. As some have estimated, 60lbs sounds about right. It may not seem like much but 60lbs IMO is much more than a "few" pounds and still pretty significant considering the majority of the weight sits on the nose. hence why I am buying a lithium, battery to lose another 30lbs over the nose.
I weight 157 so it's like a driverless non R ;)
when I get on it, it feels like the car has boost. hits that torque spot and she scoots
I emptied my windshield fluid too. 5 lbs
Sponsored