Sponsored

Why did you buy (or why do you want) a base R?

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
This question has been raised in many posts in a variety of threads, but I thought it’d be interesting to see the reasons of those who’ve bought (or want) base R models – i.e., without the electronics package – consolidated in a single thread.

To date, there have been less than a total of 150 base R models built (’15 – ’18) and Ford will cease building them at the end of this month (April ’18) due to the USDOT requirement that all cars built after that must have a back-up camera. So far, Ford’s solution is to simply make the electronics package a mandatory option – standard equipment – going forward. If the GT350 continues into the ’19 MY and/or beyond, it’ll be interesting to see if Ford takes that same approach or if they come up with a work-around, such as a camera with the image in the rear view mirror, allowing them to continue producing a somewhat stripped car.

So, back to the question - I’ll go first…..

I’m old school (my wife just says I’m old) and remember when the stripper version of a performance car was the hot ticket. Sure, adding a radio, speakers, and a few other creature comforts make the a car more comfortable for regular use (in some cases, even daily driver duty), but for pure sporting pleasure, I’m drawn to simple cars without much in the way of creature comforts. In the summer months, my weekend daily driver (if the weather cooperates) is a ’65 Cobra replica – manual steering, manual brakes, manual transmission, no driver aids, no side windows, no top, no exterior door handles, and the only “electronic” thing on the entire car is the Pertronix that replaced the dual points in the vintage Ford distributor residing in front of the carburetor.

For me, it’s not about the overall weight reduction – but rather the purpose-built character, the somewhat more visceral sound and feel that comes through when the manufacturer leaves out the fluff and does without sound deadening, underlayment, etc. and instead focuses on the track equipment.

With regard to the GT350R in 920A form, it would have been great in my opinion if Ford had gone even farther – no carpet... just a rubber mat for front seat area and just bare painted floor elsewhere, manual door windows, no rear defroster, fuel cell, tow hooks front and rear, integrated roll hoop, fixed shell seats on manual sliders, a fire suppression system – basically the things that can be found on some of the high-end track cars from Lotus, BMW, Porsche and Ferrari.

I’ve converted street cars into track tools before and even built my Cobra from the ground-up. I often use the phrase that fast cars are built, not bought. But, there are some very special factory cars out there that show what a company’s engineers are capable of when given enough latitude. Usually, those cars are very special and each component is designed to work together in harmony. Sure, many of us can take a regular car and mod the snot out of it to go faster than some of the factory specials - including a base R, but I for one always smile when I see a company let their hair down and allow their engineers to have some fun.

My plan for JR265 is to treat it as the special car it is – like all Rs are – and enjoy it as I see fit. I’m not buying it as an investment, but I will certainly take care to maintain it and be its caretaker for as long as I’m able, then it’ll someday go to a worthy niece or nephew. It’ll see occasional road use for errands and fun runs on country roads just to help me clear the cobwebs after a long day at work, cruise nights where kids can climb in it and start on the long journey down the road of being a gear head, long day trips in the Spring and Fall with a caravan of friends in their interesting cars – both old and new, and when broken-in sufficiently – it’ll turn laps at Road America, for sure.

Better or worse than an R with the electronics package? Well, that just depends on your intended use, wants, and needs. For me, it’s a somewhat civilized, though not too much, bridge between my ’65 Cobra replica and the full-on vintage road race ’65 Mustang fastback project I’m working on.

For that, I say "thank you, Ford." :cheers:
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For me, it’s not about the overall weight reduction – but rather the purpose-built character, the somewhat more visceral sound and feel that comes through when the manufacturer leaves out the fluff and does without sound deadening, underlayment, etc. and instead focuses on the track equipment.

With regard to the GT350R in 920A form, it would have been great in my opinion if Ford had gone even farther – no carpet... just a rubber mat for front seat area and just bare painted floor elsewhere, manual door windows, no rear defroster, fuel cell, tow hooks front and rear, integrated roll hoop, fixed shell seats on manual sliders, a fire suppression system – basically the things that can be found on some of the high-end track cars from Lotus, BMW, Porsche and Ferrari.
I think you and I agree on some stuff but with a slightly different approach.

First off, a lot of people comment on the R being so greate because it's actually still somewhat livable despite being striped out...kinda. It's a really good balance. Rear defroster I'm pretty sure is a mandated thing too so that's a no go (I think...). And regards to the other stuff, I think because of production volume, it would have just pushed the car too far into a price territory that Ford didn't want.

Now I personally think they should have done more of a C6 Z06 approach. Fundamental things that would have stripped out weight such as more aluminum in the chassis, using the aluminum body panel technology from the F150 (our doors are HEEEEEEEEEEAVY), using the carbon composite material for maybe the roof, the hood, and the decklid, etc etc. Would that have drive up cost? Yes. But I also think that should have also been applied to the GT350 period, and higher volume maybe driving some of that cost back down closer to baseline. I truly think the GT350 Track Pack car could have been a 3700lb car, not knocking on the door of 3800lbs. That would make the base GT350 a sub 3700lb car and the R a sub 3600lb car. Maybe a good blanket statement from my point of view is "I wish Ford's weight target was make the heaviest GT350 variant lighter than a base GT."

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
This question has been raised in many posts in a variety of threads, but I thought it’d be interesting to see the reasons of those who’ve bought (or want) base R models – i.e., without the electronics package – consolidated in a single thread.

To date, there have been less than a total of 150 base R models built (’15 – ’18) and Ford will cease building them at the end of this month (April ’18) due to the USDOT requirement that all cars built after that must have a back-up camera. So far, Ford’s solution is to simply make the electronics package a mandatory option – standard equipment – going forward. If the GT350 continues into the ’19 MY and/or beyond, it’ll be interesting to see if Ford takes that same approach or if they come up with a work-around, such as a camera with the image in the rear view mirror, allowing them to continue producing a somewhat stripped car.

So, back to the question - I’ll go first…..

I’m old school (my wife just says I’m old) and remember when the stripper version of a performance car was the hot ticket. Sure, adding a radio, speakers, and a few other creature comforts make the a car more comfortable for regular use (in some cases, even daily driver duty), but for pure sporting pleasure, I’m drawn to simple cars without much in the way of creature comforts. In the summer months, my weekend daily driver (if the weather cooperates) is a ’65 Cobra replica – manual steering, manual brakes, manual transmission, no driver aids, no side windows, no top, no exterior door handles, and the only “electronic” thing on the entire car is the Pertronix that replaced the dual points in the vintage Ford distributor residing in front of the carburetor.

I’ve converted street cars into track tools before and even built my Cobra from the ground-up. I often use the phrase that fast cars are built, not bought. But, there are some very special factory cars out there that show what a company’s engineers are capable of when given enough latitude. Usually, those cars are very special and each component is designed to work together in harmony. Sure, many of us can take a regular car and mod the snot out of it to go faster than some of the factory specials - including a base R, but I for one always smile when I see a company let their hair down and allow their engineers to have some fun.

My plan for JR265 is to treat it as the special car it is – like all Rs are – and enjoy it as I see fit. I’m not buying it as an investment, but I will certainly take care to maintain it and be its caretaker for as long as I’m able, then it’ll someday go to a worthy niece or nephew. It’ll see occasional road use for errands and fun runs on country roads just to help me clear the cobwebs after a long day at work, cruise nights where kids can climb in it and start on the long journey down the road of being a gear head, long day trips in the Spring and Fall with a caravan of friends in their interesting cars – both old and new, and when broken-in sufficiently – it’ll turn laps at Road America, for sure.

Better or worse than an R with the electronics package? Well, that just depends on your intended use, wants, and needs. For me, it’s a somewhat civilized, though not too much, bridge between my ’65 Cobra replica and the full-on vintage road race ’65 Mustang fastback project I’m working on.

For that, I say "thank you, Ford." :cheers:
I am also old school and appreciate the bare necessities. I owned a performance car that had all the bells and whistles. And you know what? I rarely used any of the tech in the car. Additionally, said tech never really performed to my standards, gps, audio, etc. From early on when the GT350 was announced to have a stripper version, I knew I wanted one. However, availability and market value made things difficult. And so, I ordered a 16 Track Pack. Guess what! the audio sys sucked! No matter what version you get, sound sys sucks!. How many cars have had A/C problems? Yup! Having owned the TP I knew I would be better suited in a base R. Later I had the opportunity to purchase a low mile base R in exactly the spec i wanted. When I am out in the car driving, my focus is the car, road and nothing else. Heck! I really dont even like anyone riding with me. I like the lone feeling and connection to the car, no distractions. I drive my other cars and I am always fidiling with the radio, settings, sunroof, GPS, bluetooth, etc. probably cuz I am bored as poo. The base R is the bare essentials and true to the original. I wanted just that.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well I would have gone that route but I like to enjoy my cars all year round. I live in FL, and between the months of June through September, that car would be absolutely unbearable. Maybe a compromise would have been 1 base and 1 electronics package, but it is still uncertain whether I will be keeping both cars if/when I take delivery of the 500.

I totally get why those who have base R's have them, but living where I do it is really impractical (almost as much as owning two R's to begin with)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I would suggest that one of the common denominators for some of us enthusiasts interested in a base R model is the "old school" mentality.

In my case I am just old along with being old school.

While growing up in the Muscle Car era of the 60's and early 70's some of the coolest and most exciting high performance cars were stripped down versions which came bare bones with no radio, no AC, no sound deadener, etc.

Being a young fellow growing up during that era and just starting my initial work career I could not afford one of these stripped down high performance cars that I lusted after and now that I am in a position to pull the trigger on a GT350R I chose to purchase a base R with that decision based purely on my passion and enthusiasm for a bare bones car as those same feelings still remain with me today.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Probably going to get flamed for this, but wish the R badge was truly saved for the hardcore enthusiast. And I wished they pushed it further - solid bushings in the rear end, CF driveshaft, half cage, etc..

Would be interesting if the regular GT350 was more along the lines of a current production GT350R with electronics package and the GT350R was a true, stripped, track junkie machine. Bums me out how many were bought just for the badge and sit in garages.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Probably going to get flamed for this, but wish the R badge was truly saved for the hardcore enthusiast. And I wished they pushed it further - solid bushings in the rear end, CF driveshaft, half cage, etc..

Would be interesting if the regular GT350 was more along the lines of a current production GT350R with electronics package and the GT350R was a true, stripped, track junkie machine. Bums me out how many were bought just for the badge and sit in garages.
Agree somewhat, but I like the current offerings of trim levels and just with they had a 3rd model that included the cage, aluminum and carbon fiber panels, gutted interior, etc. Maybe make 100-200 of these a year. I think they'd sell even if it added $20-$30K to the price tag.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I think there's a major point being missed here that Nastang lightly touched on - the overall chassis foundation. I applaud the ford performance division for what they did with the GT350, but they were hindered by having to start with a passenger car chassis. For being a hardcore track car, the chassis is over-sized and over-weight to begin with. So it gets to a point where the weight savings from some of the dropped accessories becomes "token" weight savers to make people feel more hardcore. For years there have been sports cars weighing only 3000 pounds while still having a radio and a/c. So to make a car 600 pounds heavier and then say you're doing hardcore weight savings by pulling out the radio and a/c is a bit comical. It reminds me of some of the heavier M cars where they put a carbon roof on to shave a couple pounds and look hardcore. If they wanted to make the GT350R even more hardcore, I would have preferred the overall car be 10% lighter and smaller. But alas, they couldn't just whip up a new chassis, so the easier route is to just forgo installing the radio and a/c for a few people. Even though the car is going to be tracked, I still enjoy driving it on the street, and with a passenger. For all the time the car isn't on the track, I'm glad I have a stereo and AC. Few people will trailer this to the track as a 100% track time car compared to the number of us who will also drive it on the street.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Regardless of base or electronics package the most important items savings are the wheels and tires and the suspension package on either version of the R! Yes removing a/c and radio is a few pounds but if you are a 200 lb driver in a base car and there is a 160 lb driver in electronics package car I doubt there is any performance gain! However the guy or gal in a electronics package car in a long stint is going to much more comfortable than the guy or gal in the base car and he may be sweating a bit and probably more fatiqued!

Hell most race events have some form of cooling for the drivers!

Last edited:

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
150 total...less than i thought there would be

because bare bones.
no sense on all the extra distractions.
it's not my daily driver.
if it was, I'd want A.C. and for long boring trips a radio.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Regardless of base or electronics package the most important items savings are the wheels and tires and the suspension package on either version of the R! Yes removing a/c and radio is a few pounds but if you are a 200 lb driver in a base car and there is a 160 lb driver in electronics package car I doubt there is any performance gain! However the guy or gal in a electronics package car in a long stint is going to much more comfortable than the guy or gal in the base car and he may be sweating a bit and probably more fatiqued!

Hell most race events have some form of cooling for the drivers!
160lbs is much more than a few pounds and I weigh 180lbs ; )
Summers here in Alabama are brutal. Luckily! Alabama has a mild winter and I drive my R practically all year. Don't drive or track much in the summer because I hate the heat. For that I have cars that cool my ass and back. I can tell you that in my tack pack that had A/C, I still sweat and when on track it was never on.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
isn't 160 the difference of a R vs a non R?
I think the difference between a base R and a non base is around 50 isn't it?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If they wanted to make the GT350R even more hardcore, I would have preferred the overall car be 10% lighter and smaller.
I remember when the S550 was rumored, there were talks of the car shrinking in size but no, the car is the exact same length as an S197 although it's a bit wider and lower. Yeah yeah...Evos concept. A quick google search says it was 177" long or the same as a Vette.

That's what I said to her...
Sponsored