Sponsored

PhotoSHO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 GT PP1
I've driven manuals most of my life. I know the auto is faster but I enjoy the experience of driving the car with the manual.
Sponsored

btcarmd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
1965 Gt Vert, 2005 GT, 2020 GT
Don't want to debate which is better as I enjoy driving both. I agree there are many personal decisions why you may pick one over the other. I do have a question though and have wondered every time I read these threads.
How many of the manual or die group have spent any significant time behind the wheel of an a10 S550 gt??
I ask that mainly because I stressed a lot and drove both and to be honest was only mildly excited about the a10 after test driving a couple times. I also wasn't crazy about the gear ratios in the manual.
After deciding on the auto and putting a few thousand miles on the car I have learned how fun and adaptable the a10 really is. Mine is a pp1 car with shift modes so I can't speak for base model cars. My recommendation would be if you have any thought of which one to get you should try to get seat time in both.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Because my knees (and wife) made me do it.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I bought the Shelby and discovered it had an Automatic:
- automatic windows (push a button and they automatically go down)
- automatic locks (push a button and they automatically lock)
- automatic lights (turns on automatically when dark)
- automatic oil monitor (oil gets old, automatically tells you to change it)
- automatic tire alert (TPMS automatically tells me when tires are to low)
........ the list just goes on & on...!!!!!
Oh Yeah.... one more:
- automatic smile every time I get to push the clutch pedal, shift gears, release clutch while pressing throttle!
(Both are great..... enjoy what you have my friends!)

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...well, the other transmission is called a "man-ual". So............ :giggle:

IMG_0461 (1).JPG

Sponsored

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
TL;DR -- I've been a car nut since early childhood, got "hooked" on manual transmission cars, and my experience has been that manual is fun (no matter how much or little power), and automatic is boring (regardless of power). But I see a lot of people are buying A6/A10 S550's and I'd like to find out the inspiration, motivation, and a little bit about your car story. Please do tell!

(full version follows)

Background (skip if you want): I'm gonna maybe show my age a little here. I'm 46 years old and I've been a "car nut" since at least the age of 5. Probably earlier for toy cars. But for real, live cars, I paid attention and knew makes and models at age 5. I vividly remember seeing (and loving) the late 70's Pontiac Trans Ams (I'd say "Tran ZAM") as well as the late 70's T-birds (I liked the window glass logo and the headlights). In that age timeframe, my mom had a daily paper route and I rode with her in the car for some 6-8 hours a day, so we saw cars constantly. Additionally, my parents had a rapid succession of what we, back then, would call jalopies (in the 90's, a hooptie, in present day, I guess sh**box). Lots of $100-$500 cars. When a major part failed, it got pushed into the back yard and another jalopy was purchased to get to work/school (my very young parents both worked AND attended full-time university with zero financial resources from either family).

Fast forward to about the age of 12. My dad was still buying jalopy-like cars, but also took to buying old pick-up trucks and "flipping" them for some cash. The first one he got was also the first vehicle I got to "drive"! It was a 1979 Ford F150 long-bed, single cab, inline 6. We lived on a large lot (didn't own it, still no money), and my dad would let me move the truck around our yard. Not far. A few yards this way or that, but imagine how a 12 year old feels being given the keys to a truck and told he can start it and move it?! I was king of the world! At that moment I knew that I was destined to own a Ford F150 :) For a long time, this was my "dream car." This became a series of flip trucks that I got to drive around the yard, including a 1977 F150, 1983 F150, 1983 Dodge Ram 1500, and a *lifted and tricked out* 1981 Toyota truck.

To my point: The Toyota was a "stick shift" 5-speed, and was my first exposure to personally driving a manual transmission (my parents had many manuals over the years, including my mom's two jalopy Ford Pintos). Without training or help, I managed to figure out how to move the truck around the yard without even burning up the clutch....somehow.

Fast forward a bit more to age 16. My first car was technically being handed-down my mom's 1985 Chevette. It was an automatic. A 3-speed. The car served us well, but let's be honest, those were terrible cars. I sold the car and bought a 1979 Malibu, which I promptly wrecked (hard, into a ditch). This left us with one car for us all to get to school/work, etc, and it was my mom's 5-speed (semi-jalopy) 1983 Mazda 626. It was on THIS car that I actually had to learn how to drive a manual by driving it every single day, and it was on THIS car when I fell in love with rowing the gears and having full control of the engine and motion of the car.

Going into adulthood now, I think back... I haven't owned as many cars as many people, but most of them (and over the most years) have been manuals. My last one I sold 4 years ago (a 2014 Civic Si) and I really miss shifting, even though I love my F150 4x4. The first brand-new car I bought was a 1998 VW Passat 5-speed 1.8 turbo. My second brand-new car was a 2000 Camaro Z28 6-speed (factory Hurst shifter).... I really learned the fun of a stick with the Camaro. I felt in full control of the car and I could control how and when to break loose the rear-end for a little intentional drift. Much to the chagrin of my passengers. I was 25 years old.

Finally to today! I want to get back into a manual car. I've even sold my wife on the idea (she also drove my Civic Si regularly). I have insisted that if and when we get a "play" car, it has to be a manual; otherwise, what's the point? Any car can be put into Drive and accelerate quickly. It's 2021. Your average passenger sedan can outrun the sports cars of the late 70's, all of the 80's and the early 90's. Whoop-ti-do. I know the A10 in the S550 is great for drag racing. I just don't care. I've owned an automatic Mustang (2001 GT). It was boring. The best part of the car was the exhaust note, but it was just a bore after a while and the too-fast-into-2nd-gear shifting was just obnoxiously dull. So for those who have chosen an A10 S550, I'd love to hear your story and your "why." Thanks for the discussion! Please keep light-hearted. I'm not insulting people who drive automatics nor automatics themselves, other than to say in my experience, they're boring. I'm curious, for those who have done so, why you chose an automatic S550....

Thanks for indulging me.
Loved the intro. Definitely brought back memories. I'm 44. An automatic in anything but a sportscar. Manual or nothing. Yes autos may be faster, but i like driving, Not riding. Not knocking any auto drivers (pussies). 🤣just kidding, but not really.
ive got bad knees? But at the moment they are working. It does make it easier with the no lift shifting in my 21 gtpp.

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
TL;DR -- I've been a car nut since early childhood, got "hooked" on manual transmission cars, and my experience has been that manual is fun (no matter how much or little power), and automatic is boring (regardless of power). But I see a lot of people are buying A6/A10 S550's and I'd like to find out the inspiration, motivation, and a little bit about your car story. Please do tell!

(full version follows)

Background (skip if you want): I'm gonna maybe show my age a little here. I'm 46 years old and I've been a "car nut" since at least the age of 5. Probably earlier for toy cars. But for real, live cars, I paid attention and knew makes and models at age 5. I vividly remember seeing (and loving) the late 70's Pontiac Trans Ams (I'd say "Tran ZAM") as well as the late 70's T-birds (I liked the window glass logo and the headlights). In that age timeframe, my mom had a daily paper route and I rode with her in the car for some 6-8 hours a day, so we saw cars constantly. Additionally, my parents had a rapid succession of what we, back then, would call jalopies (in the 90's, a hooptie, in present day, I guess sh**box). Lots of $100-$500 cars. When a major part failed, it got pushed into the back yard and another jalopy was purchased to get to work/school (my very young parents both worked AND attended full-time university with zero financial resources from either family).

Fast forward to about the age of 12. My dad was still buying jalopy-like cars, but also took to buying old pick-up trucks and "flipping" them for some cash. The first one he got was also the first vehicle I got to "drive"! It was a 1979 Ford F150 long-bed, single cab, inline 6. We lived on a large lot (didn't own it, still no money), and my dad would let me move the truck around our yard. Not far. A few yards this way or that, but imagine how a 12 year old feels being given the keys to a truck and told he can start it and move it?! I was king of the world! At that moment I knew that I was destined to own a Ford F150 :) For a long time, this was my "dream car." This became a series of flip trucks that I got to drive around the yard, including a 1977 F150, 1983 F150, 1983 Dodge Ram 1500, and a *lifted and tricked out* 1981 Toyota truck.

To my point: The Toyota was a "stick shift" 5-speed, and was my first exposure to personally driving a manual transmission (my parents had many manuals over the years, including my mom's two jalopy Ford Pintos). Without training or help, I managed to figure out how to move the truck around the yard without even burning up the clutch....somehow.

Fast forward a bit more to age 16. My first car was technically being handed-down my mom's 1985 Chevette. It was an automatic. A 3-speed. The car served us well, but let's be honest, those were terrible cars. I sold the car and bought a 1979 Malibu, which I promptly wrecked (hard, into a ditch). This left us with one car for us all to get to school/work, etc, and it was my mom's 5-speed (semi-jalopy) 1983 Mazda 626. It was on THIS car that I actually had to learn how to drive a manual by driving it every single day, and it was on THIS car when I fell in love with rowing the gears and having full control of the engine and motion of the car.

Going into adulthood now, I think back... I haven't owned as many cars as many people, but most of them (and over the most years) have been manuals. My last one I sold 4 years ago (a 2014 Civic Si) and I really miss shifting, even though I love my F150 4x4. The first brand-new car I bought was a 1998 VW Passat 5-speed 1.8 turbo. My second brand-new car was a 2000 Camaro Z28 6-speed (factory Hurst shifter).... I really learned the fun of a stick with the Camaro. I felt in full control of the car and I could control how and when to break loose the rear-end for a little intentional drift. Much to the chagrin of my passengers. I was 25 years old.

Finally to today! I want to get back into a manual car. I've even sold my wife on the idea (she also drove my Civic Si regularly). I have insisted that if and when we get a "play" car, it has to be a manual; otherwise, what's the point? Any car can be put into Drive and accelerate quickly. It's 2021. Your average passenger sedan can outrun the sports cars of the late 70's, all of the 80's and the early 90's. Whoop-ti-do. I know the A10 in the S550 is great for drag racing. I just don't care. I've owned an automatic Mustang (2001 GT). It was boring. The best part of the car was the exhaust note, but it was just a bore after a while and the too-fast-into-2nd-gear shifting was just obnoxiously dull. So for those who have chosen an A10 S550, I'd love to hear your story and your "why." Thanks for the discussion! Please keep light-hearted. I'm not insulting people who drive automatics nor automatics themselves, other than to say in my experience, they're boring. I'm curious, for those who have done so, why you chose an automatic S550....

Thanks for indulging me.
And luckily my girl can drive a manual. She is older than me and she was shocked that there was 6 gears instead of 5. lol

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
There was a few reasons, I bought the car with the A10.
1) The lack of units to pick from as was looking at 2020 left overs, not that there was any 2021's to be had.
2) I have a few other "fun" vehicles that it is tuff for the wife to drive, As she is not going to pump the throttle 2twice and then crank, start up then wait a few minutes or learn how to use the brake and throttle to keep it running while cold.
3) Wife has ankle with pins in it and a ripped muscle in her lower back, so driving a stick, pushing the clutch would cause her soreness /pain. making this car yet another one she would not like driving.
4) The A10 gives up nothing to the manual as far as performance and my powershifting isn't as fast as it used to be, Getting old sucks.
5) Places to be able to open up the power and enjoy the car as a handling sports car/ pony car is very limited, And frankly driving a stick in traffic sucks.
6) I can put it in Track mode, put the shifter in "S" and shift it myself and have better gear spreads than a 6 speed.
7) I'm getting old and knees and joints in general don't always play nice in the mornings or after a long day at work. If you are 60+ you understand, if you are not, you will when you get there.

Here is the thing about threads like these, BUY what YOU want, Or what works best for you, in my case having my wife being able to enjoy a fast car also was key.
I plan on driving this car a lot in the good weather and having to worry if my hip/knee/back/ankle are sore after a long shift and it being painful to drive home was also in the back of my mind, But I'd deal with it, My wife would not, and then never enjoy it.
Buy what you want, tell the haters to duck off.

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
Grew up driving stick in my homeland of England. For me it is the connection I get from the car, the ability to shift as I please, the control of the revs, the downshift to accelerate and the downshift braking. I also like the ability to let off and hear the snap, crackle and pop from the exhaust.

That said, if I had a seriously powerful car, an auto would make sense to hold on for dear life and not worry about the shifts. There is definitely a fun factor of just driving; that is - no shifting. But for me, manuals is where it is at.

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
1) The lack of units to pick from as was looking at 2020 left overs, not that there was any 2021's to be had.
2) I have a few other "fun" vehicles that it is tuff for the wife to drive, As she is not going to pump the throttle 2twice and then crank, start up then wait a few minutes or learn how to use the brake and throttle to keep it running while cold.
3) Wife has ankle with pins in it and a ripped muscle in her lower back, so driving a stick, pushing the clutch would cause her soreness /pain. making this car yet another one she would not like driving.
4) The A10 gives up nothing to the manual as far as performance and my powershifting isn't as fast as it used to be, Getting old sucks.
5) Places to be able to open up the power and enjoy the car as a handling sports car/ pony car is very limited, And frankly driving a stick in traffic sucks.
6) I can put it in Track mode, put the shifter in "S" and shift it myself and have better gear spreads than a 6 speed.
7) I'm getting old and knees and joints in general don't always play nice in the mornings or after a long day at work. If you are 60+ you understand, if you are not, you will when you get there.

Here is the thing about threads like these, BUY what YOU want, Or what works best for you, in my case having my wife being able to enjoy a fast car also was key.
I plan on driving this car a lot in the good weather and having to worry if my hip/knee/back/ankle are sore after a long shift and it being painful to drive home was also in the back of my mind, But I'd deal with it, My wife would not, and then never enjoy it.
That is a very fair assessment. I live in Houston. In

I live in Houston. Would love to run an auto stock or with h-x pipe stock. I understand this may not be you. Know i will prolly lose, just want to see for myself

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
That is a very fair assessment. I live in Houston. In

I live in Houston. Would love to run an auto stock or with h-x pipe stock. I understand this may not be you. Know i will prolly lose, just want to see for myself
My ride, is a EB HHP. It is fast with 350hp but not GT fast.
But I don't care, I have a 732hp 698ft lb. Big block powered car if I need to try to rip my head off.

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
Because my knees (and wife) made me do it.
Bingo. Not everyone chooses an auto because they want to. Knees play a big role after awhile.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
1. Not getting any younger, and neither is my left knee. 2. My wife can drive a stick but would rather not, and I wanted her to feel comfortable taking the car whenever she felt like it. 3. Was driving in traffic and was tired of the stick (the Sonata I traded had a 5 speed, which was bought when my office was less than 10 minutes on local roads).

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
1. clutch replacement. 2. Traffic and living in a city. 3. probably the main reason is I got older and have a family now, who may need my vehicle in an emergency.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've had and still have plenty of both, but wanted to run 8's in a daily driver full weight car. The 6 speed just isn't up to the task. That being said, I'd still love to have a GT350. But my next build will be a Superformance GT40 with a sequential, so it'll really be neither and both lmao.
Sponsored