Why did Ford rush the 2018 facelift?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I think what he is summarizing is all that simply adds up to another 25 HP and a slightly stronger engine. I don't think it matters to a lot of people how the engine makes the power. It's basically 435HP vs 460HP.

What did they change in the Sync System? I thought they were the same if you just did the free update on the software.
It's really more than that, as the 18 up engines are rated at only 7,000 RPM.
Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
It's really more than that, as the 18 up engines are rated at only 7,000 RPM.
7K is about the power peak, it's pretty flat from there (and before), stock. But I agree, from what I see the 25hp over the Gen2 is a minimum, most are probably at about 30-35hp based on controlled published trap speeds.

The Gen2 got better flowing heads, more aggressive cams, bigger valves, sinter-forged rods over the Gen1...and gained an entire 15hp over the 14, with the same redline. Sometimes the gains are incremental stock. But the differences are important for potential. The Gen2 has huge potential FI over Gen1. Gen3 has huge potential over Gen1&2 with E85, about equal to Gen2 FI (probably a little worse on pump gas, a little better on E85 or race gas).

The inter-generational bickering is stupid. All Coyotes have great potential for top-end power over pushrod lumps like the LT1, Mopar 5.7 or Apache.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I think what he is summarizing is all that simply adds up to another 25 HP and a slightly stronger engine. I don't think it matters to a lot of people how the engine makes the power. It's basically 435HP vs 460HP.

What did they change in the Sync System? I thought they were the same if you just did the free update on the software.
I was referring to this note here. Wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just noting that there were a lot of changes to the car. Much more than "just the A10":

Also new for the Mustang in 2018 is SYNC® Connect which will allow you to remotely start (automatic transmission-equipped models only), lock and unlock the vehicle along with even scheduling specific times to remotely start the vehicle. You’ll also be able to use this service to locate your parked vehicle via GPS, check vehicle status and enable a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to ten devices given you have the proper subscription.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I was referring to this note here. Wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just noting that there were a lot of changes to the car. Much more than "just the A10":

Also new for the Mustang in 2018 is SYNC® Connect which will allow you to remotely start (automatic transmission-equipped models only), lock and unlock the vehicle along with even scheduling specific times to remotely start the vehicle. You’ll also be able to use this service to locate your parked vehicle via GPS, check vehicle status and enable a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to ten devices given you have the proper subscription.
oh ok. They had that on the older versions of sync via Ford remote access. I never tried it as my iphone handles that for any Bluetooth car.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
oh ok. They had that on the older versions of sync via Ford remote access. I never tried it as my iphone handles that for any Bluetooth car.
Just FYI, there is FordPass, the app, and FordPass Connect, that has the modem and uses the FordPass App. Fordpass Connect first became an option in 2018. It is standard on all Mustangs for 2020.

Sponsored

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I like most commenting like the car I own which happens to be a 2018gt. I wanted the latest model when I went to buy. As most on here noted there's always improvements. We all know what to do mod it! I didn't want the stock look, I lowered it swapped both front and rear spoilers, changed tires and wheels, and exhaust. Now it has the package I want custom to me! Guys ask me what package my car has, I just answer my own. Make it what you want, that's the fun part.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
And then there's the "never buy a first year car, always wait a year or buy the last year" crowd. I had no interest in the 15-17 Mustangs. Seeing the 18, and learning about all the improvements sold me one.
I'd consider an 18 a first year car with a the changes. There were revisions on the 19 model.
Sponsored