Why Automatics Are Better Than Manuals

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Well there is a certain charm in a "dial" telephone too...that's my generation. When I race a manual box, I heel/toe and left foot brake. Most can't do that pedal dance. So it's not that people can't do it , but, even people like me say why? Honestly a manual box on track is fun for a couple laps and that's about it. Formula 1 hasn't had a manual transmission since 1995! Heck if people really want engagement why not go back to no power steering giant steering wheels, transverse leaf springs, and drum brakes?

Better is relative. We can make up all kinds of things. A manual is better because you can bump start your car. An auto is better because you don't have to clutch in traffic. We could go on with that list forever.
I will say driving this manual in traffic is super easy. You don't even need to hit the gas, just clutch modulation moves you forward. I typically just do that and then put the clutch back in and coast. I am one of those that leaves a lot of space in front of me though, mainly because I would rather move constantly at 2mph than stop and go. Also, it's funny to see people upset because I could hurry up and wait like everyone else. Saying all of this, I rarely take the freeway in my commute. It doesn't matter what transmission you have, windy scenic roads are always better.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I drove a well tuned Civic Si for years and went to a Mustang a year ago this month. I miss the throttle response. Buying a 250cc motorcycle and riding for four months (just got my license last week), I love the mechanical throttle. It feels satisfying comparied to the electrical garbage we have now.

Reactions: XS

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Both have their place for a seemingly endless list of reasons. For me, a manual is rewarding more often than an automatic. I just don't race the car from a dig in public, ever. It's just not something that happens to me. So for me, the idea that I could never beat a modern auto off the line is moot - it's just not something that ever happens in my world of daily driving. I find it strange that there's even a push for clutchless manual technology - the clutch is part of the rewarding process. But that's just me. Everybody has their own experiences, and truly, genuinely that's great. My experience is that autos frustrate me some of the time (sometimes they hunt for gears, sometimes the lag on a downshift to pass someone, sometimes they get goofy when it's really hot or cold out), but I've never driven a frustrating manual. I know some MT-82 owners have issues, but I haven't, so no frustration here. Once you learn the transmission you feel at home with it.
On the flip side, I have certainly had days at work that just absolutely whooped my ass and it was nice to get in my truck and cruise home in silence and minimal effort. I enjoy both for different reasons, and both will always have a place in my garage.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Traffic and gas millage were 2 things that didn't cross my mind when choosing a manual. Pleasantly surprised by how the car handles both. I actually can't think of trash to say about the A10, it was a joy to drive. Other autos have annoyed me a lot and I really just prefer manual for control I think more than anything else.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I honestly don't see valid complaints with our manual transmission. Yes, it took my months to learn it (mostly when it's cold). It seems great and if it can handle the 5.2L, why should we complain?

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I honestly don't see valid complaints with our manual transmission. Yes, it took my months to learn it (mostly when it's cold). It seems great and if it can handle the 5.2L, why should we complain?
My only complaint and just another reason to make me take a chance racing the A10 is the chinese gearbox. Ford is already run by beancounters. Add in chinese QC and you really have something special there. In the track section we are finding all the S550's soft spots.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'm good with a manual. I've had at least one manual since the 80's. When I bought my 18, hearing that the A10 was half second quicker made me test drive it. Hearing all the MT82 issues when I was looking made me rule it out. A test drive of the A10 pretty much sealed the deal.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
Weighted shift knob, steeda trans mount insert, and steeda clutch spring....the MT82 is a beautiful for stock to mild mod power levels (probably more).

Auto is still faster, but that’s not the point (to me). Just glad that Ford still gives us the choice, and I always remind them of that in their surveys.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Driving a manual is fun sometimes. Driving an automatic is fun most of the time.

I have owned many manuals and a few autos. The A10 is my favorite transmission so far. I owned a 15 manual and this 18 auto. Love the auto now.

The question is have is - Have the manual guys driven the A10?
I have never driven the A10. I know myself well enough. I have no interest and I wouldn't waste the salesperson's time.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least try it. I wish I did. In fact, I wish I had tried the Camaro SS (I did try the v6 model) and the Challenger R/T.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Had my mind was made up when I ordered the car. My quest started with the jeep truck, Mustang second choice.

Using the manufacture's build the car page. I was surprised , that the only one of the 3. That being Ford offered straight up choices of performance orientated options. It is a glaring difference when compared with the others.

Did not drive a Mustang until the day I was taking it home. And this is coming from a man with a long history with GM.

Step son has a Challenger R/T nice car for a boat. They should have brought back the Cuda, mid 70's...... Camaro yawn ....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
At least try it. I wish I did. In fact, I wish I had tried the Camaro SS (I did try the v6 model) and the Challenger R/T.
It's been a while since I drove a Challenger. I drove a few different Camaros in the last few years, because I had to see if I liked the latest redesign. Camaros are good - I just personally prefer the Mustang. I really like Challengers too. But my car purchases currently are geared toward better road course compatibility and I'm staying away from Challenger for that reason. If I decide to give up on road course driving I might buy one, though. I like the big V8s that Dodge puts in their cars. Great stuff.

But no, I have not driven anything with an automatic transmission. Seriously - I can't stand them. I feel like my soul is dying when I have to drive something with an automatic. I put up with it in my pickup for hauling/plowing, but other than that I will not buy a vehicle with an automatic.
Sponsored