Sponsored

Why Automatics Are Better Than Manuals

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
6r80 with a PHB 4 speed hub or TH400's are the hot ticket. Anyways, point being manual trans cars can be just as fast as autos. But the fastest s550's 7's/8's none run the A10 afaik, it's clutches are the very weak point.
Completely agree with you there either transmission can be very fast it just takes a good driver in the manual versus an auto can be driven more consistently by anyone and as you said 6R80 is definitely the way to go for an automatic in an S550 but a manual is probably more fun though.
Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
For me driving a manual is a major part of the driving experience. It's that feeling of being directly connected to the machine that makes driving fun and not mundane.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
The A10 is as capable as the Porsche pdk with none of the pdk failures. I’m club racing the A10 and it is the best part of the s550.

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I will rock the manual 5.0 until I can get my Mr Fusion energy reactor installed..

And then I would still want to row my own gears.

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My commuter is an auto, thats all the auto that i need lol . My mustang is also a manual, I wouldn't drive a car without one unless I had to. This 17 mustang is the 12th or 13th car that i've owned and only 2 of those have been auto. One is my current commuter car and the other one was my first car. :angel:

Sponsored

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Driving a manual is fun sometimes. Driving an automatic is fun most of the time.

I have owned many manuals and a few autos. The A10 is my favorite transmission so far. I owned a 15 manual and this 18 auto. Love the auto now.

The question is have is - Have the manual guys driven the A10?
I have driven 3 different A10 cars all in different levels of performance 2x18’s and a 19. The 19 was T boned on my way to work
The A10 transmission is stellar, I truly don’t believe anyone on here would dispute that. However for me, the experience was missing something. I found myself driving faster to try and get the same excitement level as I would with the manual.
I don’t care about being the fastest person off the line so for me “Quicker” wasn’t really a selling point.. Manual or Auto doesn’t matter these cars are fast as hell.
Also tho I drove an 18 with a manual and it was not my favorite. In the 18-20 refresh they made the automatic more fun and the manual less fun.. maybe a way to slowly phase it out?
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Somewhere out there is an EB A10 owner who thinks they got the perfect combo

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
The only real thing I don't enjoy about the manual is if I ever get stuck in stop n go traffic. Other than that I love it. Maybe having a manual and an A10 sitting in the garage would be ideal...both SC'd. :)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I have driven 3 different A10 cars all in different levels of performance 2x18’s and a 19. The 19 was T boned on my way to work
The A10 transmission is stellar, I truly don’t believe anyone on here would dispute that. However for me, the experience was missing something. I found myself driving faster to try and get the same excitement level as I would with the manual.
I don’t care about being the fastest person off the line so for me “Quicker” wasn’t really a selling point.. Manual or Auto doesn’t matter these cars are fast as hell.
Also tho I drove an 18 with a manual and it was not my favorite. In the 18-20 refresh they made the automatic more fun and the manual less fun.. maybe a way to slowly phase it out?
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Somewhere out there is an EB A10 owner who thinks they got the perfect combo
That's an excellent point, the driver has the control to feel the torque/power at will.

Well said

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
A clutch pedal is more efficient than a torque converter because it is relying off of human interaction. But thank you Mr. Sarcastic. Everyone loves your useless anecdote.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think American Muscle have some fast S550s on stock transmissions.

Sponsored

SlowWhite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2012 Shelby GT500
When shopping for my car I would of went for the A10 but my budget amount and mileage range I wanted only could yield the 15-17 models.. so I chose to stick with the stick.. Pickens were slim in my neck of the woods but I was able to find a 16 Premium 6spd man with 25k miles for 27k. Not the best deal ever but I’m happy with it. Plus I got a real good deal on my trade in which was another bonus... if I decide to update later on I’ll give the automatic world another rip. My work commute is 95% interstate.. and there’s 2 traffic lights I hit.. so, bumper to bumper traffic is minimal.

The 10spd is a very impressive unit but I still enjoy rowing gears..

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Have driven both and enjoyed them both for what they were. I do prefer manual so got one. The A10 was the best auto I've driven though. Either way, it's a badass sounding and looking car.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As good as modern autos are, they still can't read my mind and are thus inferior. I know the MT82 has a reputation, but I really love how it feels. There was a time about a year ago that I was fully on the DCT hype train. It was the best of both worlds. But you know what? I got bored. Get that weak paddle shit out of here, lol. Its just never as satisfying. Sure ill lose races to autos, but given I don't race on the street to begin with, I can live with that.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For most Americans, practically speaking: yes. Theoritically? No. You're bringing in an outside force to operate the clutch as opposed to an automatic that must, drive itself automatically. Automatics are inheriently less efficient because of complexity. There is a reason why it costs more to research, it costs more to develope, and it costs more to buy it. It is more resource intensive than a manual. Add those variables to the manual and the manual should be theoritically faster. Again, look at Chevy.
Sponsored