Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I highly recommend everyone watch this video:
Thanks. It's definitely worth a watch.

Manual mode sounds pretty darn impressive, especially if you close your eyes and picture yourself listening to this car running up and down the gears off in the distance in real life.

Unfortunately, automatic mode is a disappointment . . . doesn't sound much different from anybody's regular automatic transmission.

Norm

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The rest of the time it'll still be boring, and after the first few rushes you get from using everything it's got you may realize that the car is still an uninvolving and pretty boring thing to drive, overall. Even that straight line "wow" loses some of its lustre once you realize that it was sanitized for your protection by torque management, TC, and ESC; that any skill on your part was strictly incidental.

Norm
I'm all for the nostalgic cars of old but my test drive of the Model S performance was far from boring. I only did a few pulls because I agree with you on that getting old quick. What really got me of all things was that because it's only 1 gear, when you take your foot off the ga...accelerator, it decelerates strong enough to warrant brake lights. So what I did was drive to try and not use the actual brakes. I was in a city environment with lots of stoplights and was able to drive through it without touching the brake pedal. It was a game of sorts. Saying this, I do realize it's yet another thing to get old fairly quick. I did enjoy my test drive but there were a host of reasons a Tesla isn't for me. I guess if I'm saying anything, if a Tesla type vehicle was my next choice, I wouldn't let it get boring. Also, the motor whine is pretty awesome.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What really got me of all things was that because it's only 1 gear, when you take your foot off the ga...accelerator, it decelerates strong enough to warrant brake lights.
I'm not all that surprised. Teslas operate with reduction ratios in the 9.x:1 range - think of second gear in an MT82-D4 paired with 4.56 axle gears - and it takes a calculable amount of power to run the motor as a generator.

Norm

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I'm not all that surprised. Teslas operate with reduction ratios in the 9.x:1 range - think of second gear in an MT82-D4 paired with 4.56 axle gears - and it takes a calculable amount of power to run the motor as a generator.

Norm
It was really cool but more in the "how it's made" kind of way. I did enjoy the pull quite a bit but it really did lend thoughts of taking away some of that pull for more efficiencies elsewhere maybe? I mean, 0-60 as fast as possible is cool and all but I don't think my 17 year old self would have made it to 18 if my first car was anything like what these EV's are doing.

Back on topic, I do think it's funny that we never seem to mention if you gave a human a 10 speed with the same ratios, they might do better than the auto in 1/4 mile. Trained feet can do some amazing things.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I like pie!:like:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Lot's of things are better when synthesized. synthetic motor oil, synthetic boobies, and cars that will destroy anything with a transmission or ICE. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mustang, the noise it makes, the excitement and danger of 800 hp and 3.73 gears with a manual, but the reality is that when we are talking performance, Electric cars will soon leave everything else far far behind.
No.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Nah dog, thick fudgy brownies are where it's at.
Man I miss chocolate. Allergic since my early 20's. Body rejects it now but still tastes awesome. Soooo now I'm all about caramel or butterscotch. Has to be vanilla cakes and such too. I still manage to get my sugar in but it's no chocolate that for sure.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, I care about horsepower, but only to a point. After that you can keep your HP/TQ......said no one ever.
In a theoretical world where there are no laws, no speed limits and we got prizes or money for getting somewhere really quickly - maybe. Oh, and there also has to be 80F temperatures every day too so we have great traction. And extremely cheap gas/tires.

IF all that were true maybe I would agree. But in the real world where we actually live in there are speed limits, snow, ice and police. And getting somewhere 10/20 seconds faster doesn't win you anything.

IMO a great car is a car that is enjoyable to drive. My s-box Fiesta ST is fun in traffic even though it only makes about 200 hp. It's also ~2700 lbs. I previously owned a Corvette that made more power but just wasn't as fun. I really liked the GT350 I had before the 'vette as well. People say it doesn't have a lot of torque on the street. I think it had more than enough, because I live in a traction limited world with speed limits. The GT350 was mega fun to drive staying within the law.

I highly recommend everyone watch this video:
I couldn't make it to the end of that video. So boring! Yes it did seem like the engine was making a lot of power and I could hear noises that sounded like a strong V8 - maybe with a turbo? But everything that person was doing can only be done momentarily on the street and it's too easy. Push a pedal and touch a paddle .. zzzz...

When asked the question of which transmission is better, my thoughts immediately go to enjoyment of driving. Yes I like performance, but without enjoyment of my car I just hate life. The manual transmission is the only choice for me, because I enjoy driving a car with a manual transmission.

I owned a '65 Ford 250 pickup with a 4 on the floor and a 352 V8 at one time. That transmission had super long throws and it was often challenging to change gears. It was a lot of fun to drive that pickup. No reason to speed or do anything that might break any traffic laws. Just being able to smoothly select that next gear was plenty of entertainment.
Sponsored