Sponsored

Why are the rain tray screws so long?

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
Out yesterday sitting in a restaurant. I see it’s started to rain. Pulled up radar app and damn - rain that wasn’t supposed to be here for hours is here and it’s gonna be a soaker… Run out to the car to install the rain tray….
Ended up pondering “Why are those threads so long?” as I ate cold food in a wet shirt…

M5 x .8 metal thumb screws are in the future… but why do I need them to be so long?
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Out yesterday sitting in a restaurant. I see it’s started to rain. Pulled up radar app and damn - rain that wasn’t supposed to be here for hours is here and it’s gonna be a soaker… Run out to the car to install the rain tray….
Ended up pondering “Why are those threads so long?” as I ate cold food in a wet shirt…

M5 x .8 metal thumb screws are in the future… but why do I need them to be so long?
What screws? Mine has magnets now.
I’ll see if I can find the thread….

OP
OP
fishpick

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@The Chairman - I saw that thread a long time ago - but it never sounded like anyone ever had a solution that worked for driving the car as well. The whole effort @Jmeo worked on with magnets was for show and washing - which is great but wouldn't have solved my unexpected rain event and driving home. The last post of his I saw in that thread said he was going to take it out for a drive and report back... (I'll give him a pass as he just kept on going to SA for that SE sweeite :wink:)
Some of that with the magnets postulated that there would be pressure in from the air entering the engine and help hold the tray in place vs pushing down on it... and I do love me any solution using rare earth magnets... (ask me how to get your balcony door open on a cruise ship so you can hear the ocean all night AND keep your AC on) But I wasn't convinced in that thread that anyone solved the quick attach beyond washing and show display of tray art...

So - I guess the real question before I order some nice (and expensive) short knurled thunmb screws from McMaster is - @Jmeo - does it stay attached with your magnets when driving?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
@The Chairman - I saw that thread a long time ago - but it never sounded like anyone ever had a solution that worked for driving the car as well. The whole effort @Jmeo worked on with magnets was for show and washing - which is great but wouldn't have solved my unexpected rain event and driving home. The last post of his I saw in that thread said he was going to take it out for a drive and report back... (I'll give him a pass as he just kept on going to SA for that SE sweeite :wink:)
Some of that with the magnets postulated that there would be pressure in from the air entering the engine and help hold the tray in place vs pushing down on it... and I do love me any solution using rare earth magnets... (ask me how to get your balcony door open on a cruise ship so you can hear the ocean all night AND keep your AC on) But I wasn't convinced in that thread that anyone solved the quick attach beyond washing and show display of tray art...

So - I guess the real question before I order some nice (and expensive) short knurled thunmb screws from McMaster is - @Jmeo - does it stay attached with your magnets when driving?
I wouldn't trust the magnets while driving...... Did you see what Tim @Goose17 used? Those must be pretty inexpensive via a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I’ll admit I never drive with the tray installed. But the magnets I installed are really strong; plus I kept the bottom two screws installed and slotted the tray to slide over them. So the magnets are only stuck to the tray on each side in my setup.

OP
OP
fishpick

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you see what Tim @Goose17 used?
I did and I personally don’t like the China plastic look of those knobs (to each his own). I’m considering some black aluminum ones instead.

love the magnet idea but assumed what you said - for rain on the road - no dice.

but @The Chairman got me thinking….
Wonder if I notch the back using stock screws. Do some magnets and use just a pair of thumb screws in the front.
Make a hybrid mess of all ideas but make the install time way shorter!!!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Originally, I was going to go with the Rare Earth magent solution that Jaime designed way back when but ultimately decided to stick with the KISS principle. These came today and I swapped them out which I believe is an eye deer that someone else suggested. They work just fine with no clearance issues.

1627336170328.png

1627336335359.png

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
What thread are they ? (M5 ?) :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
If you use the thumb screws that I opted for, you’ll need to switch out the receiver nuts to what I used. A forum member told me he couldn’t get them to work with the metal nuts. Skip to 5:38 to see what I used.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Fish: That's not a hole, it's a thumbscrew installed. :-) Yep, that's the size and Goose, Terrance included nylon license plate nuts that worked with the thumbscrews. I was going to use rivnuts but decided against it as I would have had to drill out the square holes.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
C220-1.jpg
Sponsored