Sponsored

Why are the EU side door mirrors so large?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I was looking at pics on this site of quite a few EU S550's and noticed that the side mirrors on the doors are absolutely HUGE and look "out of place" due to their sizing when compared to the US models.

Are they required to be that large or is it because of the electronic folding mechanism??
Sponsored

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I was looking at pics on this site of quite a few EU S550's and noticed that the side mirrors on the doors are absolutely HUGE and look "out of place" due to their sizing when compared to the US models.

Are they required to be that large or is it because of the electronic folding mechanism??
I believe the reason is the EU requirements for safety. Someone correct me if there is another reason.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
So the big bad coyote can say, "better to see you with"!

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I am old and don't see like I use too and was thinking of buying a pair. Not sure how much they are, but i may look on Ebay to see of they show up there.

I did get the side radar option so, they do light up when a car is next to me, but I would stilll like them.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
They're larger because of EU Regulations.

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Once I got used to the size of the Mustang side mirrors, the mirrors on my other car (Elantra) look like 1980s satellite dishes. Or Mickey Mouse ears.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I believe the reason is the EU requirements for safety. Someone correct me if there is another reason.
A lot of Euro spec cars have smaller mirrors, the US ones are a lot smaller, the ones on the S197 were fairy big also
I really dont like the Dumbo mirrors, I suppose that is why they are electronic to fold as they are so heavy
A lot of owners are saying they dont fold correctly also and a lot are moaning about the Pony P Light going wrong with the image of the Pony getting damaged

MrBoogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
A lot of Euro spec cars have smaller mirrors, the US ones are a lot smaller, the ones on the S197 were fairy big also
I really dont like the Dumbo mirrors, I suppose that is why they are electronic to fold as they are so heavy
A lot of owners are saying they dont fold correctly also and a lot are moaning about the Pony P Light going wrong with the image of the Pony getting damaged
I'd imagine they have the electronic fold feature due to some of the very narrow streets in Europe. If you were alone in the car it would be pretty difficult to fold the passenger side mirror manually. Just a guess.
Sponsored