Sponsored

Why are superchargers the prefer choice over turbochargers in the mustang comunity?

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Ill trade ya a Motley Crue patch. For your Taylor Swift tank top. My daughter’s birthday is coming up.:wink:
do you know how long it took me to get a custom Large Tall T-swift concert tshirt......i’ll never give it up.......haterz gonna hate
Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Im not butthurt......just giving out facts. You centrifugal guys like making power from 7000-8500rpm band...... roots/tvms/etc etc make way better power.
Damn all that power must be really beneficial if a race was capped at 6500rpm Or when you wanna pass people on the highway.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Im not butthurt......just giving out facts. You centrifugal guys like making power from 7000-8500rpm band...... roots/tvms/etc etc make way better power.
It doesn’t make better power. It just deliveries it differently. Terry Reeves of beefcake racing just won the Mccloud 10r80 shoot out with a Vortech car. Running 8s. I’m sure there was turbo’d and wipple cars competing against him. Every boosted application has their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
If you look at most factory boosted high price to performance ratio, high power v8 cars, alot are supercharged instead of turbocharged. Like z06, zl1, zr1, gt500, cts-v3, cts-v2. I think it may be for reliability and less overall maintenance and well, awesome instant power delivery.

Its also easier for mustangs to go SC because some of the kits fit right on top of the engine, the exhaust is left unplumbed and unrestricted. There is just less stuff that can wrong with SC cars I think and they usually take up less space, and depending on where the turbos are mounted they may let the engine bay stay cooler than a turbo car. The oil is also less stressed than in turbo cars.

Also I dont think you can even have cats with most turbo setups

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
No need to talk a bunch shit. Get what you plan on getting and be happy. Then makes some passes and post up.

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I ask cause most of the builds i see are surpercharged applications. And the fastest times in the drag section are from turbocharged applications.
When modding a car you do it cause you want max horsepower and better times at the track.
So whats the reason?

We ask ourselves this every day, lol.

In all seriousness, we believe that it is due to the OEM tendency to opt for belt driven boost on upgraded V8 cars--- and this has carried over to the aftermarket for Mustangs. If you look at all other markets, turbo is king, and if you follow the success of the ecoboost, just add 2 more cylinders, bigger turbos and you are off and running!

As far as results, turbos, especially twin turbos, will make more power and have more efficiency than any other combination. A HUGE portion of our customer base are Mustang owners that are "underwhelmed"
by the performance of their supercharger and are looking to make more, and/or make the power they expected in the first place. With the ability to adjust the boost by changing the spring in the wastegate or by the touch of a button on a boost controller, the turbo option gives a one size fits all solution.

The other misconception is that a supercharger installation is way easier than a turbo. Some turbo kits can involve more, but we have worked to make our Street Sleeper kit easy to install, and we typically put them on in one single day in our facility.-----However, we think its funny to choose the power adder based on install time------How much longer? maybe 2 hours in some instances---- If you get gapped by a twin turbo car on a Saturday night you will wish you had a turbo and possibly spent a little more time under the car :rockon:

Just our 2 cents:)

Team Hellion

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Heres the simple reason....
Let's use a ProCharger for example. (yup, totally shameless plug lol)

The customer buys a system...
A few days later a big box arrives full of goodies.

The customer then calls his buddy...
"Hey man, wanna come over sat and help me bolt on a supercharger"
"Sure dude, that sounds great..."

Sat morning they start the install, using the tools they got laying around.
A quick break for lunch, cause they are craving some tater tots...
Then after lunch, they are putting the bumper back on, and loading the tune.

Then they go out and Tear up the streets with 300-700 extra HP.
(Depending on if they are pump gas or some E85 monster with a fuel system)

Bolt on, No drama, Big dang HP..... BANG FOR THE BUCK.

Entry-level P-1X - 930+ rwhp capable
Upgrade to the D-1X and guys are making 1,050 wheel
Then you got the guys making 1,400 now with F-1A94's.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
As we know, it's all individual preference. We can all agree, we're on the best platform with a ton of options.

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I went turbo after having d1sc. Turbo car makes just about the same power with much less boost. Turbo car is 7lbs vs the 14-15 with D1SC. Not all that much more plumbing with turbo kit over the d1 kit. Granted, turbo car is on 19 and procharger was a 15. I said power above but the procharger car trapped 141 on e85 and hellion car did 140 on e85.

Cost was the same for hellion sleeper kit vs procharger kit .Paid 6400 for turbo kit new with 11-14 manifold. Procharger kit with upgraded intercooler and d1 might have been more. Then cat delete pipe, smaller pulley, it all balances out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jrsimon27

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
We ask ourselves this every day, lol.

In all seriousness, we believe that it is due to the OEM tendency to opt for belt driven boost on upgraded V8 cars--- and this has carried over to the aftermarket for Mustangs. If you look at all other markets, turbo is king, and if you follow the success of the ecoboost, just add 2 more cylinders, bigger turbos and you are off and running!

As far as results, turbos, especially twin turbos, will make more power and have more efficiency than any other combination. A HUGE portion of our customer base are Mustang owners that are "underwhelmed"
by the performance of their supercharger and are looking to make more, and/or make the power they expected in the first place. With the ability to adjust the boost by changing the spring in the wastegate or by the touch of a button on a boost controller, the turbo option gives a one size fits all solution.

The other misconception is that a supercharger installation is way easier than a turbo. Some turbo kits can involve more, but we have worked to make our Street Sleeper kit easy to install, and we typically put them on in one single day in our facility.-----However, we think its funny to choose the power adder based on install time------How much longer? maybe 2 hours in some instances---- If you get gapped by a twin turbo car on a Saturday night you will wish you had a turbo and possibly spent a little more time under the car :rockon:

Just our 2 cents:)

Team Hellion
Thanks for the info.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Can we just watch hellion argue with procharger lmfao.

you guys are all too serious.....im just messing around with you guys but turbo is way better.

epracmetcon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
As someone who debated supercharger vs turbo very recently. I went whipple for a few reasons. One, I wanted instant power as my car is a street car, can't deny the instant torque of a twin screw. Two, I already had longtubes and did not want to mess around with removing them/changing them out to go turbo. Sure the turbo's can make more power, but being stock motor, my whipple can max it out fairly easily.

anyjuan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Can we just watch hellion argue with procharger lmfao.

you guys are all too serious.....im just messing around with you guys but turbo is way better.
For somebody that’s just trying to get information, I truly appreciate how much info both Hellion and Procharger are always willing to give. Both made great points and I now still don’t know what I want lol

anyjuan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Also, I’m no mechanic... I’ve only done basic bolt-ons and maintenance.

so roughly what should I expect to pay for install on either applications?
Sponsored