Sponsored

Why are GTs so slow on Motorways?

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Millions of Italians bought Fiat 500's but it doesn't mean they were any good ! The vast majority THINK the 911 is better because the vast majority have never driven an Evora. Residuals on all Lotus's are rock hard. Apart from the first couple of years they lose little or nothing. I have made money on ALL of my Lotus's when I have sold them. The Elise is in the top 10 of all cars for retained value.

Completely disagree regarding the Mustang. By all means keep the standard spec cars but also offer plusher versions for those wanting to pay more. Ford already know the top spec versions of their cars sell the best meaning there are customers willing to pay more for more luxury / spec - why disappoint them?
You're right that the vast majority have never driven an Evora but there's nothing that appears unique about the Evora unlike the Exige, plus, love them or hate them, virtually all car reviews will put the 911 above an Evora. Are you sure the residuals are better on an Evora than a 911?

I'm willing to pay more but on performance. I'll spend another 30k on a GT350 but not on a Mustang with a plusher interior. You may say its options but the more operations the less streamline the operation and costs increase. If you want a plush interior there are thousands or cars that fit this bill. The Mustang needs to keep its niche or it will lose to the competition if it tries to be them.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
You're right that the vast majority have never driven an Evora but there's nothing that appears unique about the Evora unlike the Exige, .
There lies the issue for Lotus. When they do drive an Evora they will realise just how special it is. Going back to my original post it was used by McLaren as a benchmark for their cars, the chassis is that good.

Drive one if you get a chance, you will end up buying one !

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
I usually just chill in the left lane at around 58mph and only over take when a particularly slow HGV is ahead. Otherwise I keep my distance.

Means I don't have to keep overtaking, reduces the chances of getting bad chips, I get great mpg and people going past get to see the car. I know they see the car because people match speed have a good look and then go on their merry way.

Everybody knows it's a relatively quick car and I certainly do t have anything to prove to anybody. Especially with what's coming.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There lies the issue for Lotus. When they do drive an Evora they will realise just how special it is. Going back to my original post it was used by McLaren as a benchmark for their cars, the chassis is that good.

Drive one if you get a chance, you will end up buying one !
Maybe but a GT350 is similar price and more appealing. I drove an Exige and that was a great car, felt very fast!

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
:sunglasses:
Yea, but if you could save a few £hundred a year by driving sensibly on those "non fun" drives, wouldn't you? I didn't upgrade to the GT for the fuel economy either but when I'm not driving for the enjoyment factor (although I always enjoy driving it), then I like the thought of not spending more than I have to on fuel. Admittedly it's a weird mindset - I feel like I'm "saving" money if I can get good mpg. The reality is that over time that will add up to spending far less on fuel than I could.

I blame my father :crackup:
This is why my daily is a Prius ...:sunglasses:, I love my Prius:muscle:

Sponsored

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I had a 600 mile round trip from Shropshire down to Devon last Friday to attend a funeral. The things I discovered were...
Devon has some of the narrowest, wiggliest lanes known to man. At one point both my wing mirrors were touching the hedge. Even the thinnest man in the world, Old Thinny McSlender, would even have though it was narrow....
I managed 29mpg average there and back.
Despite so much rain I'd have been better off in a canoe, the GT managed not to aquaplane or spin its wheels.
The seats for me, could be better. I was pretty much crucified after 9hrs at the wheel. It's a long time to be in any car, but on a similar trip in my Monaro I was definitely not as knackered.
There really is a lot of luggage space in the Stang.
A friend of mine really liked it and is now thinking of buying one.

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
I tend to drive steady on motorways and still manage good mpg lol
252D4B9D-8CAE-4BDB-8E30-0AA2ADB66207.jpeg

OP
OP
Splash

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
I had a 600 mile round trip from Shropshire down to Devon last Friday to attend a funeral. The things I discovered were...
Devon has some of the narrowest, wiggliest lanes known to man. At one point both my wing mirrors were touching the hedge. Even the thinnest man in the world, Old Thinny McSlender, would even have though it was narrow....
I managed 29mpg average there and back.
Despite so much rain I'd have been better off in a canoe, the GT managed not to aquaplane or spin its wheels.
The seats for me, could be better. I was pretty much crucified after 9hrs at the wheel. It's a long time to be in any car, but on a similar trip in my Monaro I was definitely not as knackered.
There really is a lot of luggage space in the Stang.
A friend of mine really liked it and is now thinking of buying one.
I did 7.5 hours last week to Scotland, couple breaks for coffee and it was great. Just think what it would have been like in Recaros :shock:

Last edited:

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
I've averaged 16 MPG over my first 400 miles in the new one. Apparently your not supposed to leave it set in cruise while you're running in. Gunna have to swap my boots for trainers :)

Sponsored

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago. Wide open road...car pulls up behind me expecting me to go go go! I pull to the far right lane and continue going right below the speed limit. Why?

Because my radar detector had been alerting me for the past 1.5 miles. Sure enough, Mr. Wannagofast hits the throttle and pulls away. About a half-mile later I see a patrol car pull onto the highway and another mile later I see that cop pulling Wannagofast over.:cwl:

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
I find that if you are on a m-way that you can do 70mph on, you're doing well (at least down here), so 60mph seems to be about right; that's got nothing to do with the GT though; I do that in my daily (RS4) or my toy cars (Monaro/GT). I do have a 15 month old at home, so I'm very much known as a slow coach. I get "nowhere" on my bike either - also slow. I like to stay alive.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
I find that if you are on a m-way that you can do 70mph on, you're doing well (at least down here), so 60mph seems to be about right; that's got nothing to do with the GT though; I do that in my daily (RS4) or my toy cars (Monaro/GT). I do have a 15 month old at home, so I'm very much known as a slow coach. I get "nowhere" on my bike either - also slow. I like to stay alive.
I think we all like to stay alive, but I don't think doing more than 70 mph really counts as an extreme sport! Hanging out with the 18-wheelers seems a tad more dangerous than going with the flow... Each to their own I guess.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes completely agree, being swiped by an 18 wheeler is a common accident. Much prefer to be in the outer/overtaking lane where possible

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Um, badly worded, sorry; on the bike I don't really keep up with the "enthusiasts" with their knees down or at 100+ mph on the back roads. There's some fairly well known roads around these parts that are the highest risk for biker deaths in the UK. So, you know, I ride to my abilities (I did a few courses; bikesafe etc) as I'd like to see my littlun grow up is all. With the GT I just go with the flow up to 70mph as that's what I find comfortable doing. The GT is a very good cruiser with some better-than-average abilities in the bends, but it's not a sports car in my head.
Sponsored