OP
Splash

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
So here's the thing - clue is in the name GT = Grand Tourer. Having driven the thing for 3 yrs and 60k miles no one could convince me it's a sports car. It's a big old heifer that can push on a bit but is happiest burbling along, admittedly quickly but burbling nonetheless. What the op saw on the motorway was the default state when the brain behind the wheel was on autopilot it mooches along eating up the miles. If I want a sports car I'll but something light and exotic. Happy with my burger and fries though.
My brain was an autopilot too, I'd done about 200 by then with about 170 still to go. If someone can't to 70 on a motorway then they should get the fuck off it. After all motorways are just about the only roads in the UK wide enough for one. .
Sponsored

OP
OP
Splash

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
you should have seen the roads i went down on sunday after that the motorway felt huge.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ny8BYGyUfUXAxdaP7
Yep, I've got roads round by me that I won't even drive anymore. Nothing makes more worried than the sat Nav telling me the next turn is onto "unnamed road". There are are places that I refuse to take the car.

It was on a road slightly wider than that when the entire drivers side of my car was destroyed when transit van decided to use my 6 week old car as a braking device.

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
EB is my Grand Tourer with Cruise control on 70 on motorways. Elise for other occasions.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
A reasonable range is what a GT is all about surely ? What is the point of stopping to refuel every 250 miles ? I get an easy 32mpg on the motorway with the cruise on at 130kph which gives close on 400 mile range.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
EB is my Grand Tourer with Cruise control on 70 on motorways. Elise for other occasions.
The perfect combination ! I'm selling my Evora (it was replaced by the Mustang) and will go back to an Elise when it is sold. Have had a few Elise's over the years and it is the perfect car for UK B roads

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
^agreed purpose of an Evora is too similar to a Mustang. Elise is a perfect complement. I would like an EV too but not seen the right one to add.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
^agreed purpose of an Evora is too similar to a Mustang. Elise is a perfect complement. I would like an EV too but not seen the right one to add.
Yes sadly the Evora lacks enough practicality in the GT mould - boot is too small. Great car mind and should sell much better than it does. Probably the best handling ride compromise of any car and no surprise it was used as a benchmark by McLaren for their cars

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Plus at circa £70k + it's not going to sell, it's too compromised and a Porsche 911 is a better car. The Exige is a better bet if going to buy a Lotus.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Plus at circa £70k + it's not going to sell, it's too compromised and a Porsche 911 is a better car. The Exige is a better bet if going to buy a Lotus.
Believe me a Porsche 911 is not a better car, different, but not better. And you aren't going to get a new 911 for much less than £100k.

Exige is a very narrow market and far less usable day to day. It is what it is, a more powerful Elise which is pretty hardcore as a daily driver. The Evora is far more comfortable, well equipped and usable and yet has 95% of an Exige's driving ability.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Believe me a Porsche 911 is not a better car, different, but not better. And you aren't going to get a new 911 for much less than £100k.

Exige is a very narrow market and far less usable day to day. It is what it is, a more powerful Elise which is pretty hardcore as a daily driver. The Evora is far more comfortable, well equipped and usable and yet has 95% of an Exige's driving ability.
But the vast majority of people do think a 911 is a better car and that's why Evoras are not selling, plus residuals are far better. The Evora needs to create a niche.
Yes the Exige is hardcore but if I'm buying a Lotus that is what I want.
That's what Ford needs to be careful with the Mustang, if they try and aim for the everyday driver market with plush interior, lots of gimmicky tech etc etc they'll push the price up or sacrifice the performance and lose its niche and many people will shop elsewhere.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The mustang is a wonderful GT car and pretty lousy at anything else. Motorway mile crunching is where the mustang really shines. The GT seems to have a very natural gait at approx 90 leptons in 6th gear. To be honest I only really use the mustang now on the long 100 mile plus trips with fast a roads and motorways. Turn the electronic counter measures on and let her stretch her legs.

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I stick to the speed limit on motorways and throw it about in 2nd & 3rd on the A roads around where I live. I like to push the speed, but never if there are other cars around.
Some days I just want to pootle about, but always on the speed limit. I get extremely frustrated by those who drive well below the limit and block my progress.
The Motorway for me is an obvious haven for traffic cops and as such I stick to the limit. I think getting caught doing 94mph in Leeds on the A1 a few years back have helped to calm me.
The fact I was still on an Aussie licence and had to attend Court, resulting in 6pts and a £240 fine on my new UK license tends to stick with me.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
But the vast majority of people do think a 911 is a better car and that's why Evoras are not selling, plus residuals are far better. The Evora needs to create a niche.
Yes the Exige is hardcore but if I'm buying a Lotus that is what I want.
That's what Ford needs to be careful with the Mustang, if they try and aim for the everyday driver market with plush interior, lots of gimmicky tech etc etc they'll push the price up or sacrifice the performance and lose its niche and many people will shop elsewhere.
Millions of Italians bought Fiat 500's but it doesn't mean they were any good ! The vast majority THINK the 911 is better because the vast majority have never driven an Evora. Residuals on all Lotus's are rock hard. Apart from the first couple of years they lose little or nothing. I have made money on ALL of my Lotus's when I have sold them. The Elise is in the top 10 of all cars for retained value.

Completely disagree regarding the Mustang. By all means keep the standard spec cars but also offer plusher versions for those wanting to pay more. Ford already know the top spec versions of their cars sell the best meaning there are customers willing to pay more for more luxury / spec - why disappoint them?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
The mustang is a wonderful GT car and pretty lousy at anything else. Motorway mile crunching is where the mustang really shines. The GT seems to have a very natural gait at approx 90 leptons in 6th gear. To be honest I only really use the mustang now on the long 100 mile plus trips with fast a roads and motorways. Turn the electronic counter measures on and let her stretch her legs.
Agree, although I think lousy is a bit harsh ! It is a wonderful GT but has a few other tricks up its sleeve. It's no track day warrior though and an Elise with half the power would leave it for dead on a twisty road. (I have owned both)
Sponsored