Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Next up. 18 movies under attack cancel culture

Among the 18 flicks under the microscope include Breakfast at Tiffany's, Psycho, Gone With the Wind, My Fair Lady, Stagecoach, The Jazz Singer, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and more.

They will also warn viewers who have never seen these films before about potentially upsetting moments including depictions of racism, sexism, and LGBTQ issues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...18-problematic-classic-movies-new-series.html

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think we are to far off from going full circle. We are super sensitive but next up once people get numb is going to be super offensive. The more offensive the more views. It won’t take long before everyone tries to offend instead of being offended.

Seems like we always loop back around.
I got banned off my political forums permenantly for being insensitive recently. Serious.

It’s bad, if you disagree and voice it. The villagers smite you

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
As previously stated, you cannot look back and apply current "values" to the past.
Times were what they were and we have moved on as a society.

This was mainstream advertising in the 1940's
1930sc_Pabst_Beer_Sign.jpg

This was fully accepted in the 60's
%2fed%2fa2%2f33%2feda23312be3cd8f8b024f4c2a58de8ca.jpg

And in the 80's this was normal

34c80c5537f90609fd216604741cbb13.jpg

I think there has always been a cyclical swing from Victorian uptight to ultra sex in this country.
What are we doing now that will be abhorrent in 20 years?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The name Robin DiAngelo was specific to the discussion me and Mike had and topic, so YOU don't have to know or read anything she wrote. I couldn't care less is a bystander of a conversation wants or doesn't want to know what We are talking about.
Same here, did you read anything by Fyodor Dostoevski or Dante Alighieri?
Sorry, but as soon as you post something in a publicly viewable discussion it becomes 'public domain' and you give up control over who else responds to it. If you wanted to keep it exclusively between you and Mike, I'm guessing that's what the 'Private Message' function is there for.

Dostoevski, yes. Dante, no (but I've at least heard of him, unlike Robin Di).

Norm

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I haven't read the full thread, and while yes, some logos/brandings are based on racist stuff, the biggest issue IMO is how EASY America makes it to sue people over PERCIEVED issues. While some brands are changing because well, its marketable and good PR to say you "addressed concerns" some are doing it because they are scared that someone will sue over it, and they find it cheaper to just make a branding change than deal with the PR/financial fallout of a suit.

We make it easier for someone to sue over what they THINK is an issue than it is to just say "no your wrong you're clearly just LOOKING for issues."

it goes back to my whole stance that America enjoys pandering to the stupid than it does focusing on actual issues.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
some are doing it because they are scared that someone will sue over it, and they find it cheaper to just make a branding change than deal with the PR/financial fallout of a suit.
I always wondered what happened to all the kids who gave their lunch money to the bullies.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I always wondered what happened to all the kids who gave their lunch money to the bullies.
The problem is, losing money = pissed shareholders and companies care more about that than anything else. Even more than making a better product.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I was informed recently that the term "cakewalk" is racist and should not to be used.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I remember Mr Potato head from way back. Back in those days, you had to provide an actual potato for his body, so you could use a lot of imagination about how he looked. You can bet my Mr Potato head had a dick and little potato balls! My Mom wasn't thrilled!:facepalm:
Ahem, Mr Potato head would prefer that you referred to his genitalia as 'shoestring and puffs'...

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
My two cents:

The Seuss foundation, who sees over the publication of his books, decided to stop producing six of his books because no one was buying them. Not because they were canceled, not because they were banned, because they can’t sell the ones they already have. Was he a racist? Yes, he even came to his own conclusion to this as he was very vocal during WW2 about Japanese living in the US and produced the book "Horton Hears a Who!' as an apology to them after visiting Japan in the 50's and seeing what devastation we delivered via atomic bomb - https://www.openculture.com/2014/08/dr-seuss-draws-racist-anti-japanese-cartoons-during-ww-ii.html

Mr Potato Head - Pure marketing ploy on Hasbro's part (manufacturer). All they did is make the 'Mr' and 'Mrs' text on the box the toys come in less prominent and at the bottom vs the top. Also, they are planning to expand the 'Potato Head' lineup so rebranded for this. Made an announcement and got all the press they could have hoped for, sales for both Dr Suess books and Mr Potato Head items have soared. - https://apnews.com/article/mr-potato-head-goes-gender-neutral-d3c178f2b9b0c424ed814657be41a9d8

In both cases, like many things, if you question why just follow the money.

Dtmlloyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 2500 high country
If you don’t like something don’t buy it! If you don’t like what someone says then don’t talk to that person! History is what it is you can’t change it!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My two cents:
Mr Potato Head - Pure marketing ploy on Hasbro's part (manufacturer). All they did is make the 'Mr' and 'Mrs' text on the box the toys come in less prominent and at the bottom vs the top. Also, they are planning to expand the 'Potato Head' lineup so rebranded for this. Made an announcement and got all the press they could have hoped for, sales for both Dr Suess books and Mr Potato Head items have soared. - https://apnews.com/article/mr-potato-head-goes-gender-neutral-d3c178f2b9b0c424ed814657be41a9d8
I thought this was pure marketing genius! That means you can have a gay potato-head, transgender potato-head, cross dressing potato-head, etc. But I still think if they went back to having to supply your own potato it would be even better. You could find or carve tits on a potato and dress it up like Mr.
Sponsored