Who's got at GT350 with R wheels?

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
Curious to know if anyone has the "R" wheels on their GT350.
I found an online retailer that is selling them at a pretty decent price.
I really think I am going to get these b/c my approach is to shed weight on the car. Then worry about power.

I know they are pricey, but they look good and removing that weight from the powertrain must be beneficial.

Anyone have these?
Was the change noticeable?
Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I really think I am going to get these b/c my approach is to shed weight on the car. Then worry about power.

I know they are pricey, but they look good and removing that weight from the powertrain must be beneficial.

Anyone have these?
I don't know of anyone that has done this yet, but you will have to extend the lugs in order to get this to work so be sure to add that to your $ calculations to make this work.

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
If they are genuine OEM carbon fiber wheels just be advised you will need to change wheel studs to the R studs or aftermarket extended studs. The factory carbon wheel will not mount on standard GT350 studs

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I looked into doing this, too. For the fronts, you can simply replace the hubs with R versions, since those come with the longer studs installed. I didn't look into the rear, but would guess it's the same.

I, too, checked into pricing on the R wheels, but found that when combined with other R-level parts I'd purchased, it would have put me over the price-delta to just get an R. That's ultimately what helped me make the decision to pull the trigger. Best price I could find for OEM direct from Ford was around $2,600 per front and around $2,100 rears. A great price, to be sure, but still way expensive compared to alternatives.

I think that if you're interested in lighter and stronger wheels, there are quite a few forged alternatives out there that get you close to the R spec wheels without the cost and complexity of going with the OEM wheels.

Best of luck on whatever you do and keep us posted with pics.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Isn't the R's suspension tuning different than the non R because of the difference in unsprung weight? Isn't the weight difference enough to have a negative impact on performance versus lets say a lighter aftermarket non CF wheel?

Sponsored

OP
OP
svt93style

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
OP
OP
svt93style

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
Thanks for the info, didn’t realize this wasn’t a plug in play situation.
Can’t imagine the studs would be too much but something to consider.

secstang03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The only way to get the longer studs in the front is to switch to R hubs, they do not sale the studs alone. The rears, you can simply install longer studs. I went through A LOT of trial and error trying to get this right. Once done, the R wheels bolt up just like factory to the R, same lugs etc...

FWIW, I have a set that have been painted silver that I would let go for a great deal.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
The only way to get the longer studs in the front is to switch to R hubs, they do not sale the studs alone. The rears, you can simply install longer studs. I went through A LOT of trial and error trying to get this right. Once done, the R wheels bolt up just like factory to the R, same lugs etc...

FWIW, I have a set that have been painted silver that I would let go for a great deal.
Ford doesn't sell them but ARP does. Here's a link:

https://www.opmustang.com/store/c2/WHEEL_STUDS_-_HUBS_-_SPACERS_AND_TIRE_ACCESSORIES.html

OP, pretty much everything you need is in the link (front hubs w/studs and or studs)

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
This is why I bought an R after owning a Track Pack car. You could not replicate the engineering with the aftermarket and the cost of trying would have been more than I was willing to spend vs buying an R.

"As a bonus, carbon fiber boasts a tensile strength 13 times that of aluminum. The performance impact of wheels so much lighter and stronger ripples through the whole suspension system. Adam Wirth, Ford Performance chassis supervisor, reveals: “We installed firmer suspension bushings and larger anti-roll bars. Best results were achieved with significantly stiffer springs and additional damping in track mode. We also fine-tuned traction control, ABS, and stability controls. It was significantly more work than we expected, but we achieved major perform*ance dividends, lighter steering effort, even a deeper tone in response to impacts.”"

Last edited:

Sponsored

secstang03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ford doesn't sell them but ARP does. Here's a link:

https://www.opmustang.com/store/c2/WHEEL_STUDS_-_HUBS_-_SPACERS_AND_TIRE_ACCESSORIES.html

OP, pretty much everything you need is in the link (front hubs w/studs and or studs)
Have you tested these studs yourself? After ordering several sets (ARP included), I was unable to find any long enough - other than the set that comes with the front R hubs.

If you are referencing the 3" studs in the link, they will NOT work.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tested these studs yourself? After ordering several sets (ARP included), I was unable to find any long enough - other than the set that comes with the front R hubs.

If you are referencing the 3" studs in the link, they will NOT work.
ARP makes a 3.4" stud, it's in the link I posted. MSI might have something as well.

Sorry, forgot we were talking about CF wheels. Just buy the front R hubs.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Just buy Forgeline racing wheels and save money. Sure they arent as light, but if you're really serious about weight reduction you can buy AP racing two piece rotors, or whatever the is lighter than the stock two piece. Forgeline makes carbon wheels too, and cost around the same as the Ford Carbon wheels.

Btw, what happened to the aftermarket Carbon DS or Aluminum drive shaft that was meant for the GT350?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Anyone have these?

[MENTION=11109]svt93style[/MENTION] please post a link to the retailer.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I thought the front sway bar was the same (between the R and non-R). Only the rear sway bar was changed. Can anyone document this?

This is why I bought an R after owning a Track Pack car. You could not replicate the engineering with the aftermarket and the cost of trying would have been more than I was willing to spend vs buying an R.

"As a bonus, carbon fiber boasts a tensile strength 13 times that of aluminum. The performance impact of wheels so much lighter and stronger ripples through the whole suspension system. Adam Wirth, Ford Performance chassis supervisor, reveals: “We installed firmer suspension bushings and larger anti-roll bars. Best results were achieved with significantly stiffer springs and additional damping in track mode. We also fine-tuned traction control, ABS, and stability controls. It was significantly more work than we expected, but we achieved major perform*ance dividends, lighter steering effort, even a deeper tone in response to impacts.”"
Sponsored