Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I've done a couple of swaps myself, so I really do get this. But any swap still has to make more sense than simply demonstrating it to be possible.Norm
I agree with you. I certainly wouldn't pull out a functional coyote and put in a Godzilla if my goals were 800hp. But again, for those looking for much more....that's when things get interesting.

That is my feelings as well. If I'm serious about building a big motor for drag racing, I'm starting with a Merlin or Dart. I'm not going to invest thousands in a stock block build just to see if I can do it.
Right...but what if there were an engine available for a fraction of the cost that would allow you to use stock ported heads, the stock oiling system and the stock crank? I fully understand this is a giant "what if", but that is precisely what is exciting people. We'll see how Brian's engine build goes, but a reliable 1800hp would be no small feat using the aforementioned stock parts. Keep in mind, to do this reliable in a coyote you need a billet block and engine that shares virtually no parts with a stock coyote.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
but a reliable 1800hp would be no small feat using the aforementioned stock parts.
Nothing on that 800 flywheel hp 7.3 is stock except for the block & crank. Nothing.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Nothing on that 800 flywheel hp 7.3 is stock except for the block & crank. Nothing.
The bottom end might as well be, the only reason it was replaced was because he's pushing the engine to 1800hp. Those results should be achievable on a stock engine with headwork, a cam and an intake. Of course, you can only get it done when the aftermarket starts banging out parts...which according to Brian Wolfe is very soon.

By the way, the engine still has the stock fuel and oiling system.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Not sure the stock bottom end of the 7.3 would be happy spinning to 7k+ RPM. The parts were designed to spin at a much lower RPM. I know tolerances are built in to the parts, so spinning stock bottom end to somewhere in the 6K rpm range would be very doable. But over 7500 RPM? Not sure I'd take the chance on stock parts.

I'm sure we'll find out what the RPM limits of the stock 7.3 are in short order.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Not sure the stock bottom end of the 7.3 would be happy spinning to 7k+ RPM. The parts were designed to spin at a much lower RPM. I know tolerances are built in to the parts, so spinning stock bottom end to somewhere in the 6K rpm range would be very doable. But over 7500 RPM? Not sure I'd take the chance on stock parts.

I'm sure we'll find out what the RPM limits of the stock 7.3 are in short order.
We'll see. I think you're right though, 7500 may be pushing it.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Right...but what if there were an engine available for a fraction of the cost that would allow you to use stock ported heads, the stock oiling system and the stock crank? I fully understand this is a giant "what if", but that is precisely what is exciting people. We'll see how Brian's engine build goes, but a reliable 1800hp would be no small feat using the aforementioned stock parts. Keep in mind, to do this reliable in a coyote you need a billet block and engine that shares virtually no parts with a stock coyote.
I'm not disputing whether it can be done, I just don't know what you would do with it. There's no class I know of in drag racing where it would be competitive. Maybe a bracket racer, but what fun is that?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm not disputing whether it can be done, I just don't know what you would do with it. There's no class I know of in drag racing where it would be competitive. Maybe a bracket racer, but what fun is that?
I take it you’ve never bracket raced.

Or you could do ultra street 1/8th mile with Brian Wolfe.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I take it you’ve never bracket raced.

Or you could do ultra street 1/8th mile with Brian Wolfe.
I have. 73 Vega with a 454 and Powerglide. 10.90 all day while eating a sandwich. For 1/8th, I'll take something really light with AWD.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I have. 73 Vega with a 454 and Powerglide. 10.90 all day while eating a sandwich. For 1/8th, I'll take something really light with AWD.
That’s all fine and dandy until someone’s grandma with a stock 95 Pontiac grand am tree’s you....or you break out because the temperature dropped 20 degrees in between your runs. A heck of a lot more to bracket racing than that.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
That’s all fine and dandy until someone’s grandma with a stock 95 Pontiac grand am tree’s you....or you break out because the temperature dropped 20 degrees in between your runs. A heck of a lot more to bracket racing than that.
Agreed. But it doesn't require 1800 horsepower. It just requires a car that can run consistently on it's bracket. Huge horsepower just introduces more variables you can't easily control.

That Vega could run high 9s. But, a 10.90 bracket just provides a margin of error. You just had to watch the accelerometer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Agreed. But it doesn't require 1800 horsepower. It just requires a car that can run consistently on it's bracket. Huge horsepower just introduces more variables you can't easily control.
More horsepower does give more ET flexibility. Fuel injection adds flexibility.

Not necessary though, you’re correct. Definitely more fun.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
More horsepower does give more ET flexibility. Fuel injection adds flexibility.

Not necessary though, you’re correct. Definitely more fun.
In the old days, we would swap engines in anything. It didn't have to make sense. We put a Cadillac engine in a 50 Mercury. But, now the Cadillac had no engine, so we put the mercury flathead in it. Talk about a slug! But, as I have gotten old, practicality has taken over... maybe too much. Except when it comes to buying cars. I wish it worked better there!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
the only reason it was replaced was because he's pushing the engine to 1800hp
The ONLY reason is cause multiple test mules went BOOM on relatively minor boost.
So lets run down the N/A list bottom up:
~ block stock
~ crank stock
~ custom oiling
~ rods custom
~pistons custom
~ cam custom
~ pushrods custom
~ heads wildly ported wouldn't even live on the street
~ rocker gear custom
~ intake manifold custom
~ custom fuel rails
~ID2000 injectors
~TB off the shelf
~ Headers custom
~ standalone controller pack

Now lets add boost to an IRON BLOCK for 1800 hp:
~ Filled block
~ custom crank
~ crank support girdle
~ ARP everything which ARP doesn't sell
~ Aluminum rods so the crank doesn't take the brunt and shatter the main caps
because IRON BLOCK
~ etc, etc.

So yeah, your 7.3 GODZILLA can make power. But it ain't gonna be cheap and it's only going to be
competitive in a MAX EFFORT application with a shitload of money.

Gen 2 + coyote:
~ fore return style fuel system
~ ID1000 min
~ boost

GODZILLA WHO?

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The ONLY reason is cause multiple test mules went BOOM on relatively minor boost.
So lets run down the N/A list bottom up:
~ block stock
~ crank stock
~ custom oiling
~ rods custom
~pistons custom
~ cam custom
~ pushrods custom
~ heads wildly ported wouldn't even live on the street
~ rocker gear custom
~ intake manifold custom
~ custom fuel rails
~ID2000 injectors
~TB off the shelf
~ Headers custom
~ standalone controller pack

Now lets add boost to an IRON BLOCK for 1800 hp:
~ Filled block
~ custom crank
~ crank support girdle
~ ARP everything which ARP doesn't sell
~ Aluminum rods so the crank doesn't take the brunt and shatter the main caps
because IRON BLOCK
~ etc, etc.

So yeah, your 7.3 GODZILLA can make power. But it ain't gonna be cheap and it's only going to be
competitive in a MAX EFFORT application with a shitload of money.

Gen 2 + coyote:
~ fore return style fuel system
~ ID1000 min
~ boost

GODZILLA WHO?
It doesn't sound like its a viable option for you. What is your current setup?

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The 7.3 gasser is a boat anchor. Ford took a MONSTROUS 10 year step back in technology to appease a small crowd.
Sponsored