Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Thanks to Erik427 for posting on this thread I was introduced to the Yellow Bullet forum. I find the forum quite interesting. I enjoyed reading the Factory Stock thread. Quite interesting.
You are very welcome.
As you can see, I'm very much a Ford Guy.
But I'm a Ford Guy who lives in the real world of Racing, the entire world of racing.
Truth can be a two sided blade.......
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You are very welcome.
As you can see, I'm very much a Ford Guy.
But I'm a Ford Guy who lives in the real world of Racing, the entire world of racing.
Truth can be a two sided blade.......

And...

Some of us are also Ford guys as in every car I ever bought was a Ford. I was given a GM car once and all the motor did was leak oil. Car would go 147mph so there was that - but the oil leaks...

And that is the reason for wanting the 7.3 - Because it’s a Ford production V8 engine!

Some guys here are truly epic Ford fans btw...

But the real reason I’m posting (and only posting if someone bumped it up) is this:

And you went for the trifecta.

Toronto Raptors - 105

Milwaukee Bucks - 99

One more and into the NBA finals!

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Just hit my mailbox . . . this one's for Erik and maybe Fat. The engine's even a Ford.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu.../?src=nl&mag=rdt&list=nl_rdt_news&date=010118

Norm

The coke bottle overflow is the best.

Still no word on the 7.3.

One thing I kept secret was the speculation of its use in the F150 as that would spell the demise of the Coyote. This was last February. Things have progressed. That could be why no hard data yet.

There was even speculation of its use in the Raptor - I kid you not. We may still do a doco on the swap but the interior of that Mazda! I don’t want that in the Mustang!

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping the mother#@*%ing thread was dead. This thread must be some kinda zombie :surprised:

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
More like a frickin' White Walker since it eminated from the Great White North.
Alright fatguy……..Stranglers.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Alright fatguy……..Stranglers.

Alright!

Now here is one for you (won’t see anything like this in North America... :cwl:):

For a second I thought you were endorsing the 7.3 swap, but whatever. There may be a “hot” version of the 7.3 for the Raptor. A Raptor with the Godzilla engine. And the Raptors won the NBA.

So it must be true...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Ok here we go...

The 7.3 F150 pairing was talked about in February but quietly. But even in June (June 9) the 7.3 is still in there along with the Shelby for the Raptor.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.hotcars.com/report-new-ford-raptor-v8-enigne/amp/

Personally the Shelby engine in that truck is just plain stupid. Put in a big o’l Massive pushrod V8. The fact Ford is staying “mum” on the specs would suggest something is in the works...

But the rumours are for real, even in this late stage of the game!

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Did a google search and more on the 7.3 in a high zoot version of the Raptor, all within the last few days:

https://www.google.ca/amp/fordauthority.com/2019/06/ford-f-150-raptor-will-get-a-v8-exclusive/amp/

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/06/10/ford-f150-raptor-could-get-gt500-mustang-v8-power/

https://leftlanenews.com/ford/ford-f-150-raptor-to-get-back-v8/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-may-turn-the-f-150-raptor-into-a-predator.amp

The takeaway first is that the 7.3 will make more power than the current 3.5 Ecoboost in the Raptor which I believe is 450 horsepower. Probably make more than the Coyote and turn out that 484ish horsepower speculation at least. This flies in the face of those like engineermike who said horsepower would be closer to 400, so it would appear that his speculation may be a bit off.

Basically a 500 horsepower 7.3 in the Mustang with 560 pound feet of torque starts to make sense for the swap. Even if Ford continues to go with the Voodo engine, at least we know the new 7.3 motor has some serious ponies in there!

My take on which motor? The Shelby motor was the designated engine back in March. Nobody was really thinking the Godzilla would make it in there after that. But now at this late date the rumor of the 7.3 is out there and Ford has not denied that possibility so far. If there was nothing to it Fox News would not run that rumour...

It is a shame Eric427 has left the building as after all the flack we had to take defending this engine, that may finally be substantiated and he isn’t here to enjoy it. I don’t expect the others to show up for some “humble pie” but he at least deserves this moment.

Oh well...

Last edited:

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
In the video link you posted, the guy makes no comments what so ever about the 7.3 potentially having more power than the 3.5EB. His entire video is about the fact that the raptor should/might/rumors that it will go back to a V-8 because it the 3.5 doesn't sound good. He literally says there is also a rumor that the 7.3 could come down from the F-250 because it might fit...he then goes back to talking about they should offer 2 engines in the raptor the 5.2 and the 3.5.

And for what it's worth IMO a 5.2 Predator in the Raptor to me sounds like a terrible idea. I know most people with raptors don't use them to tow and haul stuff, but they still can. I would have to think that the 5.2 would be a terrible option for a truck, especially an off road one. Now if they were making a new Lightning, that's a little different

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
In the video link you posted, the guy makes no comments what so ever about the 7.3 potentially having more power than the 3.5EB. His entire video is about the fact that the raptor should/might/rumors that it will go back to a V-8 because it the 3.5 doesn't sound good. He literally says there is also a rumor that the 7.3 could come down from the F-250 because it might fit...he then goes back to talking about they should offer 2 engines in the raptor the 5.2 and the 3.5.

And for what it's worth IMO a 5.2 Predator in the Raptor to me sounds like a terrible idea. I know most people with raptors don't use them to tow and haul stuff, but they still can. I would have to think that the 5.2 would be a terrible option for a truck, especially an off road one. Now if they were making a new Lightning, that's a little different

I just posted that video because this is the crowd Ford is playing to.

The reality of decision making is more complicated. If the 7.3 makes it into the Raptor that means Ford is killing off the Coyote. They herald the migration of the 7.3 into the F150 with a performance version of the 7.3 and a year later offer standard fare 7.3 or a short stroke version of that block to the regular line. Ford does not have the money to run two V8 engine plants and me thinks the Coyote is not long for this earth.

Anyway, that 7.3 isn’t making less than the 3.5 Ecoboost, that’s for sure!