Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Ford Performance (Ford Racing) released the bore spacing specs for all V-6 motors.
I'll compile a list for you guys when the time comes available to me.
You can expect to see a clear definition between a RWD motor vs FWD.

If needed, I'll break down the factory applications as they were made available to the buying public.
WARNING: This will end many myths.
Sponsored

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
This has devolved into a very strange thread indeed. Personally i can relate to the wish of wanting a 7.3 liter V8 in a Mustang, i most certainly would love to hear the sound of that engine. I havent got a clue as to wether this would make sense or not, but i understand the wishfull thinking of it. I am looking forward to hearing the 7.3 liter v8 roar :thumbsup:
Having said that i feel its important to say that i love my coyote exhaust note:like:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This has devolved into a very strange thread indeed. Personally i can relate to the wish of wanting a 7.3 liter V8 in a Mustang, i most certainly would love to hear the sound of that engine. I havent got a clue as to wether this would make sense or not, but i understand the wishfull thinking of it. I am looking forward to hearing the 7.3 liter v8 roar :thumbsup:
Having said that i feel its important to say that i love my coyote exhaust note:like:

Why not just be a real man and get a 7.6L....lol

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z460FRT

Again, this application already exists in the CORRECT configuration.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Why not just be a real man and get a 7.6L....lol

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z460FRT

Again, this application already exists in the CORRECT configuration.

Again, quit giving them ideas! Quit being rational as it spoils the fun!

I was all safe and secure that I would never have to do this swap and now more and more it looking possible. Not that I never wanted this. It it looks like a major hassle and hit to the pocket book. But I only paid 18,500USD for my ride, so I have room to spend before things get ridiculous.

The fact it is a production truck motor and sold to the public instead of a one off matters to me for several reasons. It’s an engine people can relate to because it will be out there and make the car more cool and less “kit car” if you know what I mean...

Last edited:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Certainly.

The second one is particularly interesting because it quotes a now retired Ford engineering executive who saw a GT version of the Probe-Stang and noticed that the hood profile would not support putting a V8 under the hood.

https://www.drivingline.com/article...ord-probe-the-mustang-replacement-that-wasnt/
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/11/19/when-ford-almost-killed-the-mustang
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/1987-1988-1989-1990-1991-1992-1993-ford-mustang1.htm

Can you cite sources that said the Probe was ever going to have a V8?
I don't believe I ever made that claim.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
But GM still did it.
So did Ford with the Taurus 3.0 SHO.

You forgot about those.......
You’re right. I did forget about the early Yamaha powered SHOs. Guess I was just thinking V8 and those were high revving V6s. They made less hp and torque than the Northstar in the Allante and for the first few years were MT only because, as stated earlier, Ford did not have an AT capable of handling V8 power and torque.

Can you cite a reference that indicates Ford ever intended on putting a V8 in the Probe? I did cite at least one reference indicating they did not.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just wondering... why does FWD applications make an engine family so bad? Like, you guys realize that the LS was also used in FWD applications, right? It also had more displacement than the Coyote and has .4" more bore spacing

Just further goes to show that the assumption that Mod bore spacing was kept small solely for FWD applications is absurd

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I'm just wondering... why does FWD applications make an engine family so bad? Like, you guys realize that the LS was also used in FWD applications, right? It also had more displacement than the Coyote and has .4" more bore spacing

Just further goes to show that the assumption that Mod bore spacing was kept small solely for FWD applications is absurd

Because the compromises made for FWD during design can become the limiting factors later on. This is not intended too be aimed at the present Coyote, just a theory of mine.

Copyright 2019 - Fatguy. Any use of this statement - in whole or in part is strictly prohibited - without the express permission of Fatguy or the TOS of Mustang6g.com.

Fatguy Publishing
Toronto | London

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
GT Pony is Fatguy or Fatgut is GT Pony?
Now why would I post links that said nothing about a FWD modular V8 Mustang ever planned to contradict myself? I haven't even supported the theory at all.

Go read some of my 5000+ posts and re-evaluate your theory. PS, don't ever plan on becoming a private investigstor, and pick up some tin foil soon. :crackup:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Y’all puttin a 7.3 ina probe. I respect that!:rockon:

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

“Because the compromises made for FWD during design can become the limiting factors later on. This is not intended too be aimed at the present Coyote, just a theory of mine.”

Source:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...or-the-new-7-3-v8.118509/page-33#post-2497374

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2